Passed Today

miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
Took my first MS certification exam this morning and passed the 70-290 exam.
I have supported 2K3 servers at customer sites in stand alone flavors, but not in domains for years.
I had access to a 2K3 server and several clients at no home, (no virtual). built, rebuilt, etc...

Used several resources in the following order
CBT Nuggets = good
Testout product = really enjoyed
MS Press book = which brought it all together, and adding things that I had not heard of from CBTs...

All in all spent 8 weeks with 4 hour minimum per day on the task.

Moving directly on 70-291. I already have a networking background with the CCNA, CCNP, so hopefully it should not be too bad.
I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
Page Count total to date - 1283

Comments

• pml1pml1 Member Posts: 147
    Congrats on the pass! That's some serious studying. I'm glad it paid off! Good luck prepping for 291.
    Excellence is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, skillful execution and the vision to see obstacles as opportunities.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! Good luck on 291
  • Jonny70Jonny70 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! :D good luck on your next one.
  • greenLigreenLi Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    May we know your score if you don't mind? Pls give us more details about your experience taking the exam. Tnx!
  • miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    greenLi wrote: »
    May we know your score if you don't mind? Pls give us more details about your experience taking the exam. Tnx!

My score was 868

exam results similar to most of what others report
    40 questions, several sims, none of which were hard if you prepared properly, and had access to a 2K3 server for preparation.

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I had to do a double-take when I saw who started this thread icon_lol.gif

Congratulations on the pass!

You'll definitely have a leg-up on people for 291, but that's really only going to get you through subnetting. I think the objectives mention RIP and OSPF, but you probably won't even see a question about them on the exam. If you do, it will be very high-level. This exam is "difficult" because it's so broad. You're going to need to know a lot about DNS, DHCP, RRAS (which no one uses in reality), etc.
  • Johnny JohnsonJohnny Johnson Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass and best of luck on the beast! :)
    Next up: 100-101 ICND1 :study:

Keep the Son in your eyes!
  • miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    dynamik wrote: »
    I had to do a double-take when I saw who started this thread icon_lol.gif

Congratulations on the pass!

You'll definitely have a leg-up on people for 291, but that's really only going to get you through subnetting. I think the objectives mention RIP and OSPF, but you probably won't even see a question about them on the exam. If you do, it will be very high-level. This exam is "difficult" because it's so broad. You're going to need to know a lot about DNS, DHCP, RRAS (which no one uses in reality), etc.

yes headed to the dark side...icon_redface.gif

Reading the MS Press book currently, and have not found anything to challenging so far... Similar strategy, read the book, duplicate the lesson on personal server... similar to Cisco stuff, just using servers, instead of Cisco gear.

Allocated 6-8 weeks for this exam, and then the XP exam, dedicating 4 hours per day. icon_study.gifLooking to take full advantage of the retake offer while it is in effect. Hope to have completed the MCSA by June.

• phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    miller811 wrote: »
    and then the XP exam

Fun times :)