Passed GCIA

I passed my GCIA with a decent score. I've been under a lot of personal stress lately, so I was not concerned about my grade beyond passing. I feel it was considerably more difficult than compared to the GCIH.

I feel like I missed some of the simple packet analysis questions because I miscounted the length of the headers. icon_sad.gif I also felt that some of the other packet analysis was easy because there were shortcuts to the answers. I feel that there was a solid mix of package analysis, snort, tcpdump, and general knowledge of TCP/IP.

I forgot to take a break and just worked all the way thought. On my GCIH, I took a break after I passed, then came back, regrouped and continued on.

I feel I had too much preparation for the certification. I read and indexed the Northcutt and Novak book Network Intrusion Detection 3rd edition. It was a great book and I recommend it to anyone, but it did not directly relate to the exam. I feel that just the reading would have been enough to just read the book without the index. I felt the book was out of date compared to the test and the I should have just focused solely on the SEC503 workbooks.

All in all I was very pleased with the SEC503 training I received from Mr. Mike Poor, the materials provided, and the certification exam.
-un

“We build our computer (systems) the way we build our cities: over time, without a plan, on top of ruins” - Ellen Ullman

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congratulations on the pass and thanks for the detailed feedback!

I'm definitely going to be taking a stab at this one sometime over the next year.

Are you GSE bound? Paul Boz and I are planning on a 2011 attempt. That new Wireshark book seems like it will be an excellent resource going forward.
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Grat job man. I'm looking forward to taking it and comparing it to the GCFW myself. What do you have up next?
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • unsupportedunsupported Member Posts: 192
    Yes, my long term goal is GSE. My next certification is GCWN or OCSP, depending on the timing.

Once I get GCWN I'm going GSEC and either gold, or GWUN.
    -un

“We build our computer (systems) the way we build our cities: over time, without a plan, on top of ruins” - Ellen Ullman
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You know you can sub the GCUX and GCWN for GSEC, right?

GSEC seems a bit below your level. I'd skip it if I had the resources to do those two instead, but it's the only way a GSE attempt is feasible for me.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Congratz on the pass and thanks for the review. icon_thumright.gif
  • unsupportedunsupported Member Posts: 192
    dynamik wrote: »
    You know you can sub the GCUX and GCWN for GSEC, right?

GSEC seems a bit below your level. I'd skip it if I had the resources to do those two instead, but it's the only way a GSE attempt is feasible for me.

I know I can sub the GCUX and GCWN for GSEC, then I still either have to write a gold paper or sub another cert. I know I can knock the GSEC out. I also have no problems what so ever writing a gold paper. My two mentors at work have both written gold papers, so I will not be at a loss for guidance.

I'm still up in the air regarding what I am going to do to fill out the other requirements. I now have to consider using CMUs to re-certify. I am not in any rush to complete the GSE, so it may just have to wait until the planets align.

Or maybe I'm just cert crazy? I love certs because it easily distinguishes me from my peers, especially when it comes to merit increases. :) When I am compared to someone at my same level, with the same job title/duties, I will always come out ahead because I average two certs a year.

I'm just afraid I'll run out of meaningful certifications (and room on my business card).
    -un