Options

Migrate Share Permissions

gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
Not sure if this is possible.

I am using Robocopy to migrate 500GB of data from one server to another.

Robocopy allows you to maintain the File *security* permissions, but as some of these folders are shares, it does not create those for you.

Checking through the shares on the original server, the majority seem to be set to Everyone Full Control (Which is simple enough) but is there a way I can get a set of file share permissions migrated in a few commands (As opposed to laboriously trying to check each folder share)

Any ideas?

Wonder if xcacls can do this. (Though without running the command and browsing through the parameters I can feed it, I fear this may only be able to handle File Security level stuff too)

EDIT http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/318754

How to use Xcacls.exe to modify NTFS permissions (doh)

Comments

• Options
    thesemantheseman Member Posts: 230
    There are some programs that do this, scriptlogic secure copy is one that comes to mind (not cheap though, I think it is $1000.00 for each license, and you need a license for both source/destination)

In the past, doing file server migrations, I have done the following:

a. Transfer files using Robocopy GUI
    i. Enter source
    ii. Enter
    iii. Copy options include:
    1. /SEC – Security info
    2. /E - all subfolders, even empty
    3. /COPYALL
    4. /ZB (backup/restartable copy mode)
    5. Retry Options – retry, 10, wait 30 seconds)
    iv. Logging options
    1. /V
    2. /NP
    3. /NFL
    4. /LOG: c:\xxxxxx_file_transer.txt
    b. Export LANMAN shares registry key, remove any shares that are not being transferred over in the .reg file (HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Lanmanserver\Shares)
    c. Import modified reg file to the new server, perform a reboot

EDIT: I also wonder about the FSMT? I have never used it, and the only recent migration I have worked on is 2003 -> 2008, which FSMT does not support. If it is 2003 -> 2003 you might want to check that tool out!
  • Options
    Excellent, point A I have covered with a batch file that is copying nicely.

I'd forgotten about shares being written in registry.

Part B and C of your solution is just the ticket I need.

Many thanks indeed :)
    David
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    File Server Migration Toolkit 1.1 can migrate to 2008.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    Ironic you should mention that, as the File Server Migration toolkit is installed on the source server. However, as I'd never used it before, I didn't have the confidence to use it quite yet...

Robocopy is *still* copying. I'm glad I decided to say "fudge it" and let it copy.

I was going to wait until after hours today, but that would have meant disrupting my work tomorrow - which is no good.

I later found out that the source server only has 100Mbit LAN so copying is laborious...

The target server has 2.0GBit (Team'ed LAN)...

Thanks all :)_
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    How much data?
  • Options
  • Options
    Actually it's more like 500GB, and there's 40GB to go on Pass #1

I'll kick off Pass #2 of Robocopy so all the changes from the week are replicated
  • Options
    thesemantheseman Member Posts: 230
    royal wrote: »
    File Server Migration Toolkit 1.1 can migrate to 2008.

Thanks for the info, I will check that out for next time :)
  • Options
    bikeandskibikeandski Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm a sys admin at a small shop (65 users) we just purchased a NAS and I'm currently considering my options to migrate all of our file shares, we have lot's of file and folder permissions and shared folders and drive mappings. I was under the impression the best way to handle this was to take a back up of the network shares and restore them in a new location? Then change the logon scripts to point to the new location. We have about 500gig's of data as well, our current file server is 2k3.

Is this not how you guys would handle this?

Thanks!
  • Options
    _George__George_ Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I recently did a migration of our file server to a NAS (NetApp). We used CopyRight2 from Sys-Manage to migrate the shares from our windows system to the NAS. CopyRight2 created all the shares and permissions on the NetApp. You can find some more information here.

George
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059