8 Weeks left...

fieldmonkeyfieldmonkey Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
So, I committed to myself to be ready to take the 640-816 exam by my birthday 5/29 and here is my progress...
  • On Chapter 12 in the ICND2 Odom book, I feel the last 5 chapters will go fast as life has slowed a bit and I am able to focus more now.
  • Took the CCNA test questions on here (55 questions)-scored 49% first try.
  • Some limited lab time using packet tracer and small home lab (2620 & (2) 2950s)
  • Created study sheets for chapters 1-11, to cram during the last 30 days or so.
  • Listening / Watching learning modules on CLN
  • Regularly checking into the forums here (just poking before studying more--gets me motivated to hear all the jargon).
My background includes my two current certs I obtained last year and completing all four semesters in the Cisco Networking Academy in 2001. I have many books as additional resources, because I was hot/cold on going for this exam in the past, but now I am committed to see it through.

My plan is to finish off the book over the next 3 weeks or so, while recreating the the concepts used in the book, in packet tracer. Once I finish the book, I will start digesting the boson practice exam in the book (and any other practice exam I can find), while memorizing the memory tables from the book.

So would you consider me on target, behind or ahead? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. icon_study.gif
WIP:
Husband & Fatherhood Caitlin Grace born 8-26-2010

Future Certs:
Q1-2011 - INCD2, Microsoft or Linux (decisions, decisions...)

Comments

• notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    So, I committed to myself to be ready to take the 640-816 exam by my birthday 5/29 and here is my progress...
    • On Chapter 12 in the ICND2 Odom book, I feel the last 5 chapters will go fast as life has slowed a bit and I am able to focus more now.
    • Took the CCNA test questions on here (55 questions)-scored 49% first try.
    • Some limited lab time using packet tracer and small home lab (2620 & (2) 2950s)
    • Created study sheets for chapters 1-11, to cram during the last 30 days or so.
    • Listening / Watching learning modules on CLN
    • Regularly checking into the forums here (just poking before studying more--gets me motivated to hear all the jargon).
    My background includes my two current certs I obtained last year and completing all four semesters in the Cisco Networking Academy in 2001. I have many books as additional resources, because I was hot/cold on going for this exam in the past, but now I am committed to see it through.

My plan is to finish off the book over the next 3 weeks or so, while recreating the the concepts used in the book, in packet tracer. Once I finish the book, I will start digesting the boson practice exam in the book (and any other practice exam I can find), while memorizing the memory tables from the book.

So am I on pace, behind or ahead. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. icon_study.gif

Good luck. I can't see why you wouldn't be able to accomplish your goal. Just drop a line around here if you have any questions about anything.

Odom is great, but can be confusing too sometimes with his teaching methods. I've already made a decision not to listen to him on certain topics, going elsewhere for them.
  • fieldmonkeyfieldmonkey Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Odom is great, but can be confusing too sometimes with his teaching methods. I've already made a decision not to listen to him on certain topics, going elsewhere for them.

Thanks... I just don't want to undershoot my readiness and have a panic attack like I did before the CCENT.

As for the comment regarding Odom, I felt the same way when I bought the Cisco Press books and started studying. At this point though, I have somewhat changed my opinion. While he is VERY dry and boring to read than other references, it seems he is VERY thorough and in a way setting you up for the next phase of studying.

I have Lammle's book too, but it throws me off if I try to read it too much, so I use it as a cross reference when I am trying to get my head wrapped around a topic.icon_study.gif
    WIP:

Future Certs:
    Thanks... I just don't want to undershoot my readiness and have a panic attack like I did before the CCENT.

As for the comment regarding Odom, I felt the same way when I bought the Cisco Press books and started studying. At this point though, I have somewhat changed my opinion. While he is VERY dry and boring to read than other references, it seems he is VERY thorough and in a way setting you up for the next phase of studying.

I have Lammle's book too, but it throws me off if I try to read it too much, so I use it as a cross reference when I am trying to get my head wrapped around a topic.icon_study.gif

Yeah very thorough, that can be a good or bad thing. I'm also a horrible test taker. Eventhough I did very well on my first CCNA exam, overall, I'm just a bad test taker. It's always been apart of me, I don't think it will ever change.....no matter how much I prepare....
  • fieldmonkeyfieldmonkey Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Onto chapter 13 today! Frame Relay!!! icon_study.gif
    WIP:

Future Certs:
    Onto chapter 13 today! Frame Relay!!! icon_study.gif

Great, I just finished that chapter 2 days ago. Feel free to ask me any questions....