CCNA for a recent grad with no experience?

tjb122982tjb122982 Member Posts: 255 ■■■□□□□□□□
Would it be wise to skip the Network+ and just go for the CCNA for one who has a Master of Information Science (pretty much theory based) and no experience?

Comments

• notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    I think so. I really don't see Network+ as something that will make a break you in a job interview. However having the CCNA is a good step. Having the Network+ would be something I personally think you would get just for yourself if you're not already a computer geek.

What's great about Cisco's certs is that there's a culture around it. What's the culture around Network+ ?
  • tjb122982tjb122982 Member Posts: 255 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think so. I really don't see Network+ as something that will make a break you in a job interview. However having the CCNA is a good step. Having the Network+ would be something I personally think you would get just for yourself if you're not already a computer geek.

What's great about Cisco's certs is that there's a culture around it. What's the culture around Network+ ?

I'm not sure.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Are you currently job hunting?

Is it worth the $200+ to fill up another line on your resume?

Passing the Network+ exam can help you with some of the Cisco ICND1/CCENT material if you don't already have the basic networking/subnetting knowledge and skills.

The Network+ is probably more recognized than the Cisco CCENT -- but costs more $$$. And you could probably earn the Network+ Certification faster than the CCNA.

Are you planning on a networking career? Or are you just trying to get any foot in any door to get that first real IT job?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • tjb122982tjb122982 Member Posts: 255 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Are you currently job hunting?

Is it worth the $200+ to fill up another line on your resume?

Passing the Network+ exam can help you with some of the Cisco ICND1/CCENT material if you don't already have the basic networking/subnetting knowledge and skills.

The Network+ is probably more recognized than the Cisco CCENT -- but costs more $$$. And you could probably earn the Network+ Certification faster than the CCNA.

Are you planning on a networking career? Or are you just trying to get any foot in any door to get that first real IT job?

Honestly, right now a foot in the door. The job search isn't going well right now.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    What's great about Cisco's certs is that there's a culture around it.
    The "one chapter, one beer" is more of a study method.... and is probably more of a TE Cisco Forum culture than a Cisco culture.

icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    CCNA would probably be better. Get the equipment so you have actual hands on experience. The Net+ would just be more theory without the hands on experience.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Mikej412 is right about the Network+ and CCENT information. It's taken me 6 months so far of study time just for the CCENT, while the Network+ took me a month and a half.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Shy87Shy87 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    tjb122982 wrote: »
    Would it be wise to skip the Network+ and just go for the CCNA for one who has a Master of Information Science (pretty much theory based) and no experience?

Yes, I will advice go for it. It might take some more time to get the CCNA but its worth it. Study hard and go for it.
  • white96gtwhite96gt Member Posts: 26 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you have the money then I would get both. With a degree in computers it should take no effort getting network+ and can help fill resume. If you only can get one then I would go Cisco.
  • abefromanabefroman Banned Posts: 278
    I went Network+ first, and now I'm studing for the CCNA. I have used some CISCO equipment prior to my Network+.

I did pick up some new things from the Network+ so I would recommend it prior to the CCNA.

Is it easy to pass the CCNA without the Network+? Probably.

Would it give you a slightly better chance to pass the CCNA? I think so.
  • johnwest43johnwest43 Member Posts: 294
    I took the net+ first before studying for my ccent. I think the net+ books are a great start to networking.
    CCNP: ROUTE B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B , SWITCH B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B, TSHOOT [X ] Completed on 2/18/2014
  • spartangtrspartangtr Member Posts: 111
    The network+ really will help you with CCENT material but if I could back and do it all over again I wouldn't bother getting it. I originally got it just to get some other stuff than my degree on my resume. CompTIA exams, at least to me, aren't of any help. All it is is memorize, regurgitate, and quickly forget if you never use it in real life. A lot of the exam topics are just a real brush-over and I was able to pass the exam without actually understanding how some of the stuff worked.

Just go straight into Cisco. Cisco is much more hands on and really makes you learn the concepts. If you don't undeerstand stuff like subnetting there's no way you're passing a cisco exam. Cisco, unlike the CompTIA, makes you understand the material enough to apply it to a real world situation instead of just memorizing how things SHOULD work.

I would really recommend getting some cheap equipment to work with. I've caught myself making stupid mistakes like accidentally plugging the console cable into the AUX port, or forgetting to save the running-config then the next time I boot up my gear(expecting it to work how I left it last) having to troubleshoot what's going wrong, fix it, then make sure I save. I won't be making those mistakes again.