Anyone else have this problem?

notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
Just wondering if anyone else has this problem that I have. This is mainly geared towards the CCNA exam.

As you're studying for the CCNA, because it covers so many areas, as you focus on one topic, you begin to forget the minor details of another topic.

It gets really annoying. I know it takes time and patience, but I can't stand when I'm reading up on OSPF areas, and I'm forgetting the configuration commands for frame-relay.....so I go back to frame relay, and I'm forgetting the difference algorithms for VPN's, what is DH and MD5 and how are they used etc etc.....

Come on guys, it can't just be me!!?

Comments

• thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    I am with you brother. I am still working on my ICND1 and have not gone with ICND2, and that issue is striking me already. That is why I keep flipping the pages back and forth. It is frustrating. I am thinking to hit the CBT first and then hit book for in depth information. My original plan was Odom's book -> CBT -> Sybex -> CBT(review)
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold
  • notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    thehourman wrote: »
    I am with you brother. I am still working on my ICND1 and have not gone with ICND2, and that issue is striking me already. That is why I keep flipping the pages back and forth. It is frustrating. I am thinking to hit the CBT first and then hit book for in depth information. My original plan was Odom's book -> CBT -> Sybex -> CBT(review)

Thank god! I feel better. I am using Odom's book and CBT. And that's about it. Oh, I am also scouring cisco's site for info as well...

The worse for me are the minor config commands, I feel I am almost dyslexic in a way....

I can't remember how it worked the last time I took the CCNA exam, if you can hit tab and it will show you your command choices or if the IOS in the test is rigged to only allow you to type what you're suppose to remember....

Max Age timer? Dead timer? Works the same way, but max age timer is for STP and dead timer is for OSPF....blah!!! icon_twisted.gif

Can you just imagine if the exam asks you about STP's "dead timer"???
    At least you have taken, experienced and passed the CCNA before. For me this is going to be my first attempt for ICND1.
    Studying:
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    At least you have taken, experienced and passed the CCNA before. For me this is going to be my first attempt for ICND1.

How long have you been studying and when do you plan on taking it?

I was a nervous wreck the first time I took it. Never been a good test taker......
    I have been studying for 2.5 weeks now. I want to dedicate myself, but I have to go to work, and I am in a process of job hunting. I'm currently looking for a IT support for now. Therefore, I can't focus on my studies.
    Money is really tight for me right now. I have been eating cup noodles for the past few weeks.
    Studying:
    Reading:
    I have been studying for 2.5 weeks now. I want to dedicate myself, but I have to go to work, and I am in a process of job hunting. I'm currently looking for a IT support for now. Therefore, I can't focus on my studies.
    Money is really tight for me right now. I have been eating cup noodles for the past few weeks.

Hang in there. I'm somewhat in the same boat. This economy is tough. Funny everyone I talk to doesn't buy it's recover, yet the washingon people seem to think they did their job....but that's for another forum...

This is my 4th week. I wanted to take the exam this past week but to be fair to myself, I just didn't think I was ready. I am pushing myself big time to get it done this week, but I'm not sure I'm prepared enough....

I've never tried living off cup noodles, for now I hope I won't have to!
    At home I eat real food, when I'm at work, I eat cup noodles. I need to save some money for my lab, for the exam fee, bills, gas, etc. That is why I really need to get the IT support job and continue my studies and support my expenses.

Anyways, what Cat5e standard do you use 568A or 568B for patch cable?
    I am planning to run some cable to my home, and thinking to use the 568B for patch cable.

In addition, what do you use to motivate yourself to study more?
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    because it covers so many areas, as you focus on one topic, you begin to forget the minor details of another topic.
    Right -- use it or lose it.

That's one of the reasons we suggest multiple study sources and lots of lab work.

Taking hand written notes while you study and then later consolidating them to the just important things (in your own words) and typing them up also counts as some study time.

Periodically reviewing your notes before you move on to new material/sections is also important.

Repetition, repetition, repetition, and more repetition eventually moves the material from your short term memory to your long term memory.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    At home I eat real food, when I'm at work, I eat cup noodles. I need to save some money for my lab, for the exam fee, bills, gas, etc. That is why I really need to get the IT support job and continue my studies and support my expenses.

I am planning to run some cable to my home, and thinking to use the 568B for patch cable.

Oh ok. I was picturing you eating noodles everyday and that's it. :D

Honestly, I can't even tell you what is the difference between 568A and B? So what's the difference?

Here's my home lab, as you can see, there's no patching.... icon_redface.gif
    I have so many cables from various sources, I don't even know? But they are certified cables. Some I made myself, those are easy to tell. But the official ones look real nice.... definitely professionally done...

lab-stuff.png

Motivation? I've always been a tech guy since the commodore 64 days. To keep the story short, the last 10 years I've been a "jack of all trades" and I'm putting an end to that. I woke up one day and decided, I want to really be great at ONE thing. And kick myself for letting my CCNA expire but so be it. I'm choosing Cisco and I need to give it my everything...

mikej412 wrote: »
    Right -- use it or lose it.

That's one of the reasons we suggest multiple study sources and lots of lab work.

Taking hand written notes while you study and then later consolidating them to the just important things (in your own words) and typing them up also counts as some study time.

Periodically reviewing your notes before you move on to new material/sections is also important.

Repetition, repetition, repetition, and more repetition eventually moves the material from your short term memory to your long term memory.

1) Is there a way to do multi-quote for responding? I only see one quote button. I had to copy and paste the old way to respond to two people.

2) My days the last 3 weeks has been. Wake up and study from (9AM - midnight or 1AM) Then do that over and over and over.... I am close to burning out....I've barely been outside....

My desk is a complete mess. I have notes everywhere!!! I have more than enough tabs open on my firefox at various sites. I've been watching the cisco techwise CCNA TV all week. I have another laptop I used to watch CBT nuggets video by Jeremy. I have Wendell Odom's books. I made my own flash cards....LOL it's crazy!!!
  • hermeszdatahermeszdata Member Posts: 225

The standard you use 568A or 568B makes no difference. Just don't use *A on one end and *B on the other!!!:) Otherwise, you end up with crossover cables for drops!

Motivation???
    I look at my network rack!!!
    2 x 1760
    1 x 2610
    1 x 2621 (Max MEM - 64D/32F)
    1 x 2620XM (Max MEM - 258D/48F
    1 x 2621XM (Max MEM)
    1 x 3640 (Max MEM - 128D/32F/20M flash card
    3 x 2950
    1 x 3550
    1 x VG200 Voice Gateway
    1 x 7910 IP Phone
    2 x 7960 IP Phones
    and all the associated NM-* and WIC modules, cables and headaches to go with it.

I gotta get some of this investment back.
    John
    Current Progress:
    Studying:
    CCNA Security - 60%, CCNA Wireless - 80%, ROUTE - 10% (Way behind due to major Wireless Project)
    Exams Passed:
    CCNA - 640-802 - 17 Jan 2011 -- CVOICE v6 - 642-436 - 28 Feb 2011
    2011 Goals
    CCNP/CCNP:Voice
    The standard you use 568A or 568B makes no difference. Just don't use *A on one end and *B on the other!!!:) Otherwise, you end up with crossover cables for drops!

Motivation???
    I look at my network rack!!!
    2 x 1760
    1 x 2610
    1 x 2621 (Max MEM - 64D/32F)
    1 x 2620XM (Max MEM - 258D/48F
    1 x 2621XM (Max MEM)
    1 x 3640 (Max MEM - 128D/32F/20M flash card
    3 x 2950
    1 x 3550
    1 x VG200 Voice Gateway
    1 x 7910 IP Phone
    2 x 7960 IP Phones
    and all the associated NM-* and WIC modules, cables and headaches to go with it.

I gotta get some of this investment back.

I want to see pictures!!!! icon_lol.gif
    Ok 568A has a pinout of: G/W, G, O/W, B, B/W, O, Bn/W, Bn.
    The 568B has a pinout of: O/W, O, G/W, B, B/W, G, Bn/W, Bn.
    G/W=Green/White
    O/W=Orange/White
    B/W=Blue/White
    Bn/W=Brown/White
    Here is the link for Cat5e http://www.monoprice.com/manual/How%20to%20crimp%20RJ45%20wo%20inserts.pdf
    Where do you watch CCNA TV? that might help me to learn more about CCNA and stuff.
    Do you watch CBT nuggets and read your Odom's book everyday?

I don't see the multi-quote as well, I use the @(name) as my reply to the other person. Like this below.

@mikej412,
    Yep, repetition is the only way to remember it.
    Studying:
    Reading:
    Ok 568A has a pinout of: G/W, G, O/W, B, B/W, O, Bn/W, Bn.
    The 568B has a pinout of: O/W, O, G/W, B, B/W, G, Bn/W, Bn.
    G/W=Green/White
    O/W=Orange/White
    B/W=Blue/White
    Bn/W=Brown/White
    Here is the link for Cat5e http://www.monoprice.com/manual/How%20to%20crimp%20RJ45%20wo%20inserts.pdf
    Where do you watch CCNA TV? that might help me to learn more about CCNA and stuff.
    Do you watch CBT nuggets and read your Odom's book everyday?

I don't see the multi-quote as well, I use the @(name) as my reply to the other person. Like this below.

@mikej412,
    Yep, repetition is the only way to remember it.

Here you go, this is a grrrreat resource. It's very time consuming though. They bring on CCIE's mainly Keith Bogart and spend about 30 mins going over a topic. Then they have Q&A afterwards. Believe it or not, there are questions that get the CCIE's, even at the CCNA level...

One good question was about etherchannel, none of the guys really knew what etherchannel path costs were...in terms of STP and path costs...

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-2549

I pray I don't get any cabling questions about the color orders, I'm not sure I have enough room to remember the combination!!! icon_rolleyes.gif
  • johnwest43johnwest43 Member Posts: 294
    LAB LAB LAB. I do labs from a book one time to see it work. Then I create my own lab. Every time I cant remember a command and have to look it up i make a note. Eventually you will know what you need to study up on and what you have down cold.
    CCNP: ROUTE B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B , SWITCH B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B, TSHOOT [X ] Completed on 2/18/2014
    I want to see pictures!!!! icon_lol.gif

A couple of items have changed, but you get the idea.

John

PS: There are 2 Supermicro Dual Xeon servers on the bottom for ballast!
    John
    Current Progress:
    Studying:
    CCNA Security - 60%, CCNA Wireless - 80%, ROUTE - 10% (Way behind due to major Wireless Project)
    Exams Passed:
    2011 Goals

John

Beautiful! Funny how you reversed the routers to backfacing...it makes more sense though...

I see a bunch of switches on the right side, just old equipment?
    I only take notes on the command. I seem to remember how the stuff works, but ios commands make me to forget them easily.

They have deleted the older videos. The last year videos requires registration. THe 2010 does not load.
    Studying:
    Reading:
    I only take notes on the command. I seem to remember how the stuff works, but ios commands make me to forget them easily.

They have deleted the older videos. The last year videos requires registration. THe 2010 does not load.

I've been able to watch the videos all the way back to 2005! Do you have an account? If not just make one, it's free anyways...

Plus you'll need down the road cause you're gonna be a Cisco guy anyways.... :D

John

Is that how you setup the routers?
    I have mine facing to the front. I like it clean, but your setup looks good too.
    I will take a pic of my lab once I get the serial cables I ordered from ebay.
    So far what I have are:
    2620XM with WIC-1T
    2950EI 12ports
    2620 with WIC-1T
    2950 24ports
    2620 with N4A/S for my frame relay
    2620 with WIC-1T
    Skeletek C16U rack
    Asus netbook for accessing the console may for telnet/ssh
    Studying:
    Reading:
    Beautiful! Funny how you reversed the routers to backfacing...it makes more sense though...

I see a bunch of switches on the right side, just old equipment?

The extra stuff on the side is equipment I sold as kits!
    John
    Current Progress:
    Studying:
    Exams Passed:
    2011 Goals
    Is that how you setup the routers?
    I have mine facing to the front. I like it clean, but your setup looks good too.
    I will take a pic of my lab once I get the serial cables I ordered from ebay.
    So far what I have are:
    2620XM with WIC-1T
    2950EI 12ports
    2620 with WIC-1T
    2950 24ports
    2620 with N4A/S for my frame relay
    2620 with WIC-1T
    Skeletek C16U rack
    Asus netbook for accessing the console may for telnet/ssh

If you have ever had to climb behind a network rack to re-cable you would understand the advantage of having ALL possible connections facing out! I have had racks where you used the Brail Method of finding the proper ports on routers and switches. Not a pretty picture!
    John
    Current Progress:
    Studying:
    Exams Passed:
    2011 Goals
    I've been able to watch the videos all the way back to 2005! Do you have an account? If not just make one, it's free anyways...

Plus you'll need down the road cause you're gonna be a Cisco guy anyways.... :D
    Yes, I have an account.
    I can only see 2006-2009.
    Here is the message that I got when I clicked the older vids in 2006
    Sorry, the event that you requested is no longer being offered. To search for events of interest to you, click here .

EDIT:
    Do you guys leave your lab on 24/7?
    If not how long do you leave it on?

@hermeszdata,
    Your setup makes sense. I guess I need to rearrange my routers to.

In the enterprise, do they have it setup like yours?
    Studying:
    Reading:
    Yes, I have an account.

EDIT:

@hermeszdata,

My power company loves me. All my equipment, Network/Lab, Servers (5 Total), desktops (4 total), printers (1 Color Laser, 1 Epson Stylus Pro 9800 and 1 7800, plus all in ones) stays powered on 24/7! I could probably save 20-30% if I powered most of the equipment off when not in use!
    John
    Current Progress:
    Studying:
    Exams Passed:
    2011 Goals
    Yes, I have an account.

EDIT:

@hermeszdata,

Ohhh, hmm...maybe I was mistaken then. Perhaps it was 2006 then.....

I turn mine off around midnight. I don't have that much stuff as you can see. The servers don't come on for the lab, just the routers and switches.

In most datacenters, I see the routers turned the other way so you have to go to the back of the rack. If you really think about it, the design is wrong.

The interfaces should be facing front because the switchports are facing front. The only thing that should plug into the back is the power cord...

Surely Cisco could design the chassis in a way that you can plug everything in the front, and still have room for that Cisco logo...I'm sure they can still make it look pretty.... icon_lol.gif
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just wondering if anyone else has this problem that I have. This is mainly geared towards the CCNA exam.

As you're studying for the CCNA, because it covers so many areas, as you focus on one topic, you begin to forget the minor details of another topic.

It gets really annoying. I know it takes time and patience, but I can't stand when I'm reading up on OSPF areas, and I'm forgetting the configuration commands for frame-relay.....so I go back to frame relay, and I'm forgetting the difference algorithms for VPN's, what is DH and MD5 and how are they used etc etc.....

Come on guys, it can't just be me!!?

Its a problem. I did the CCNA in 1999. Its a whole different beast now covering a lot of things. To be fair though it wasnt easy back then as there were fewer reference points than today and training offerings were less developed as it was very much 'a new thing'. But with a decent book and the OSI model and ACLs down you were pretty much set. A lot of people will tell you to lab things up. While that is useful it isnt practical for *everything* for a lot of CCNA candidates.

Repetition helps so be very regular with your studies. Even 10 minutes reading whilst on the toilet at least means you did something that day. Just dont clench :)

Cycle around the topics regularly. If you think its bad at CCNA level just imagine what we go through at CCIE prep level. You have to smoke these subjects to get points on the lab, but if its a month since you worked multicast routing protocols well you just lost those points, its just too complicated to keep that fresh if you dont use it regularly.

So keep cycling around the subjects. Get some hands on and a decent test engine like Boson that will get you tested around all topics.

Be regular and be patient!
    Turgon wrote: »
    Its a problem. I did the CCNA in 1999. Its a whole different beast now covering a lot of things. To be fair though it wasnt easy back then as there were fewer reference points than today and training offerings were less developed as it was very much 'a new thing'. But with a decent book and the OSI model and ACLs down you were pretty much set. A lot of people will tell you to lab things up. While that is useful it isnt practical for *everything* for a lot of CCNA candidates.

Repetition helps so be very regular with your studies. Even 10 minutes reading whilst on the toilet at least means you did something that day. Just dont clench :)

Cycle around the topics regularly. If you think its bad at CCNA level just imagine what we go through at CCIE prep level. You have to smoke these subjects to get points on the lab, but if its a month since you worked multicast routing protocols well you just lost those points, its just too complicated to keep that fresh if you dont use it regularly.

So keep cycling around the subjects. Get some hands on and a decent test engine like Boson that will get you tested around all topics.

Be regular and be patient!

Thanks! I don't even want to think about the CCIE. The way I see it, the CCIE is the CNNA on steroids. Anything goes! I could be wrong though...

I don't want to play down the CCNP, but I kind of feel that the CCNP tracks are easier. Routing, Switching and Troubleshooting. Eventhough it gets very indepth, at least you're focusing deeply on just one kind of subject. Again, I could be wrong, but if I'm studying switching, I don't know if I have to be so concerned about the order of color cables on a cross over cable...or how long the length of a fiber cable is....or...what U/L means in IPv6 and how many times I can do zero compression.....then out of nowhere ask me which WLAN protocol gets affected when I cook my popcorn in the microwave...LOL....
    That is a good motivation Turgon.
    I don't know if this is right, but I will say it anyway. I use to use the people who have disabilities as my motivation. For example, a blind man who can play piano such as Stevey Wonder. If he can learn how to play piano, read music notes, and write songs despite of being blind, I can do something similar too. That is what I tell myself when I am feeling down, and losing my will to study. However, sometimes it is not enough. and for some reason I want to talk to a motivator or something.
    Studying:
    Reading:
    That is a good motivation Turgon.
    I don't know if this is right, but I will say it anyway. I use to use the people who have disabilities as my motivation. For example, a blind man who can play piano such as Stevey Wonder. If he can learn how to play piano, read music notes, and write songs despite of being blind, I can do something similar too. That is what I tell myself when I am feeling down, and losing my will to study. However, sometimes it is not enough. and for some reason I want to talk to a motivator or something.

That's a good way to look at it. I don't see anything wrong with it. People with disabilities who achieve success are very inspiring. Just think about all the homeless people who have no issues other than just being lazy!!

I come across quotes here and there that I use for motivation. My take is, do whatever it takes to keep your energy level up. Sometimes I use music. In fact, the more resources you have the better.

There's nothing wrong with using websites like this as motivation. We aren't bots, we are real people, making real money and telling it how it is...

A quote that I learned in high school and I carry it with me ever since is from Francis Bacon. I actually used it in my year book.

"The unexamined life is not worth living."

That may not be so much motivational quote, but it allows me to step back a little, and not be so afraid to be out there and do things. Keeps me from being a hermit and living in a cave in my home.... :D
    That's a good way to look at it. I don't see anything wrong with it. People with disabilities who achieve success are very inspiring. Just think about all the homeless people who have no issues other than just being lazy!!

I come across quotes here and there that I use for motivation. My take is, do whatever it takes to keep your energy level up. Sometimes I use music. In fact, the more resources you have the better.

There's nothing wrong with using websites like this as motivation. We aren't bots, we are real people, making real money and telling it how it is...

A quote that I learned in high school and I carry it with me ever since is from Francis Bacon. I actually used it in my year book.

"The unexamined life is not worth living."

That may not be so much motivational quote, but it allows me to step back a little, and not be so afraid to be out there and do things. Keeps me from being a hermit and living in a cave in my home.... :D
    Have you ever felt really sleepy before you start studying? Like when you try to study it feels like this: While you read each sentence by the time you get to the next sentence you already forgot the last sentence you just read. I hate when I was like that. It is like the cartoons who was not listening to the speaker. The voice of the 2nd person is comes in the cartoon char left ear and it comes out to the right ear.
    --voice-->icon_silent.gif--voice-->
    Studying:
    Reading:
    Have you ever felt really sleepy before you start studying? Like when you try to study it feels like this: While you read each sentence by the time you get to the next sentence you already forgot the last sentence you just read. I hate when I was like that. It is like the cartoons who was not listening to the speaker. The voice of the 2nd person is comes in the cartoon char left ear and it comes out to the right ear.
    --voice-->icon_silent.gif--voice-->

Oh yeah, I'm starting to get there. (the burn out) Where I've read so much already, I just don't want to read anymore. So my brain doesn't keep the info in short term memory....

The way I've been studying I'm already running on fumes. Maybe I'm just a light weight... icon_sad.gif

I have a hard time waking up in the mornings because I study until around 1AM. But I stop around 1AM because the info literally doesn't stick because I'm so tired. So it's a waste of time to even try, might as well sleep, get fresh and start again the next day.

A little off topic, I have lucid dreams, ever since I was little. I don't know why.

Well last night, I kid you not, I had a dream I was taking the exam. Right in front of an old CRT monitor no less. LOL....

So I took the exam, somehow the test became 2 parts, the ICND1 and ICND2. I failed the ICND1 and passed the ICND2.

I got really confused, how do you pass the ICND2 and fail ICND1? I wasn't sure how Cisco was going to score it......but it really bummed me out.....
    then I woke up.