Options

IP Security Monitor on remote computers

bencmcbbencmcb Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
Can one add a Windows XP machine to be monitored remotely from Windows Server 2003 using IP Security Monitor?

Can one add a Windows Server 2003 machine to be monitored remotely from a Windows XP machine using IP Security Monitor?

The MS Press book says on 11-44 "You can use the IP Security Monitor console to monitor computers of only the same version as the one running the monitor" but other sources say 2003 can monitor XP and vice versa.

Please help!

Comments

• Options
    RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Im guessing using SMS? (System Management Server)
  • Options
    bencmcbbencmcb Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I don't think it's SMS. I know there is a SMS version for Network Monitor but I didn't think there was one for SMS.
  • Options
    Brownie1985Brownie1985 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    From my experiences of this, you can't. Everytime I have tried from a Windwos 2003 to a XP machine it does not work. On the other hand you can use XP's monitor to view Main Mode and Quick mode stats on a Windows server 2003 server, odd. But I have aswell read info being able to use the console to monitor either operating system. I think for the exam I'll just be remembing what Microsoft "say" and not what actually happens in the real world.
    Next Targets:
    70-294
    CCENT