2 Boostrap?

cerberoscerberos Member Posts: 168
Hello everybody... Recently I bought a Cisco 3745 and found 2 Boostrap at the router startup, here is the log :

System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(8r)T2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
TAC Support: Cisco – Shortcut to Technical Support
Copyright (c) 2002 by cisco Systems, Inc.

System Bootstrap, Version 12.4(13r)T5, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Technical Support: Cisco - Shortcut
Copyright (c) 2007 by cisco Systems, Inc.
c3745 platform with 262144 Kbytes of main memory
Main memory is configured to 64 bit mode with parity disabled

Upgrade ROMMON initialized
program load complete, entry point: 0x80008000, size: 0xa2c0
program load complete, entry point: 0x80008000, size: 0xa2c0
program load complete, entry point: 0x80008000, size: 0x109ca54
Self decompressing the image : ########################################################################################## [OK]

Smart Init is enabledsmart init is sizing iomem
ID MEMORY_REQ TYPE
0002F7 0X005F3C00 C3745 Mainboard
0X00280000 OIR memory
0X00660670 public buffer pools
0X00211000 public particle pools
TOTAL: 0X010E5270

If any of the above Memory Requirements are
"UNKNOWN", you may be using an unsupported
configuration or there is a software problem and
system operation may be compromised.
Rounded IOMEM up to: 18Mb.
Using 7 percent iomem. [18Mb/256Mb]

I know that this Boostrap version (12.4(13r)T5) is the lattest for this router. Should the 2 Bootstrap appear in the startup? Or maybe there is a little trick left for the correct upgrade? Thanks in advance guys.

Comments

• cerberoscerberos Member Posts: 168
    Hey guys, nobody? icon_sad.gif
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Its normal. Somebody has upgraded ROMMON on that router. The factory supplied copy of ROMMON is never actually deleted or overwritten but just chain loads the upgrade ROMMON which then loads IOS.
    tiersten wrote: »
    Its normal. Somebody has upgraded ROMMON on that router. The factory supplied copy of ROMMON is never actually deleted or overwritten but just chain loads the upgrade ROMMON which then loads IOS.

Thanks a lot tiersten, now I can figure out that the factory default for the 3700 series, and the 2691, is 2 ROMMON places to store the bootstrap, one is ROM (which has the factory ROMMON) and the other is EEPROM (which allow the upgrade), so even after the ROMMON Upgrade we do still have the old ROMMON that can't be overwritten... But if that's the case, why Cisco states, and everybody else, that if the upgrade fails or you encountered a blackout then your router will enter an unrecoverable state? Isn't the old ROMMON is still there and can take over in case of a failed upgrade or even a damaged ROMMON image?

I thought it gets overwritten, hence the unrecoverable state, but if it's not then why do we need to ever worry?! It's kind of those new motherboards that ships with 2 BIOS, one is in use and the other is only for Backup purpose, 1 BIOS was a pain in the neck before...
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    cerberos wrote: »
    now I can figure out that the factory default for the 3700 series, and the 2691, is 2 ROMMON places to store the bootstrap, one is ROM (which has the factory ROMMON) and the other is EEPROM (which allow the upgrade), so even after the ROMMON Upgrade we do still have the old ROMMON that can't be overwritten...
    They're both in flash. The software just doesn't let you overwrite the factory copy of ROMMON.
    cerberos wrote: »
    But if that's the case, why Cisco states, and everybody else, that if the upgrade fails or you encountered a blackout then your router will enter an unrecoverable state?
    Because you may end up corrupting something still.
    Thanks a lot bro, your help is always too appreciated...