Your first piece of cisco equipment

johnwest43johnwest43 Member Posts: 294
Do you remember your first piece of cisco equipment? How long ago was it? What was it a router,switch,firewall?

Mine was a pix 501 with the 10 user licence.
CCNP: ROUTE B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B , SWITCH B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B, TSHOOT [X ] Completed on 2/18/2014

Comments

• rwwest7rwwest7 Member Posts: 300
    Mine was a 2610XM from T-Net. I was like a kid on christmas morning!
  • notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    As a matter of fact I do. It was two routers. 2501 and 2507.

I was young and was hired to be a programmer. But was intrigued by Cisco. My boss was one strict mean boss. He was a true drill sergeant. For some reason he liked me, and allowed me to play with spare Cisco routers they had laying around. I eventually bought it from them.

Later I found out he was an ex marine. Explains everything!!
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Cisco 2503 Router (AUI Ethernet port, ISDN, 2 Serial).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I got a 2500 series router and some 2950XM switches with 50% dead ports. It was probably the most ghetto, pathetic CCNA lab ever put together. The face plates were held on with duct tape. I also unplugged the fans to make them quiet. They still run fine so I think the integrated cooling is over-rated :)
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • hexemhexem Member Posts: 177
    1721 on ebay and just recently got me a C2950-24.

:)
    ICND1 - Passed 25/01/10
    ICND2 - Passed 9/03/10

Studying CCNA:S
  • thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    I got mine on Ebay 3 weeks ago, I think. Lots of 3 2620 routers.
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold
    hexem wrote: »
    1721 on ebay and just recently got me a C2950-24.

:)

Congrats! I own a 1720 myself....I love these little buggers.....

thehourman wrote: »
    I got mine on Ebay 3 weeks ago, I think. Lots of 3 2620 routers.

How do you like the 2620? I was thinking about picking up 1 or 2 of those....
  • jovan88jovan88 Member Posts: 393
    2900xl switch, still under my bed
  • thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    I did power them on and used some commands that I learned for switches. Since I have not gone to routers command yet, so I can't answer your question 100%, but so far so good.

I am planning to skip the wireless chapter since I already know this stuff, but for the sake of knowledge I will read the thing again.
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold
  • peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A buddy of mine gave me a 2924 switch about 2 or 3 years ago.
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • DeathgomperDeathgomper Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    About a year ago I got a single 2950 switch, without any cisco experience it took me some googling just to figure out how to do a password reset.......memories. icon_redface.gif
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I think it was a 25XX because I kept buying cisco stuff everytime that I could. On every shipment at work we weren't really sure of exactly what we got.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • binargsbinargs Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i just bought 2 2510 routers off ebay for 30 bucks shipped.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I went all out and got a pair of 2501s... icon_redface.gif
  • tazdeviltazdevil Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Cisco 831 SoHo Router, was my 1st, then from there much more...
    ICND1 - Passed March 19/2010
    ICND2 - Passed April 8/2010
    dynamik wrote: »
    I went all out and got a pair of 2501s... icon_redface.gif

Hey no shame! I have one of those! I got my CCNA because of the 2500 series....
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    a 2610 router (found in an old cupboard and now mine!!!)

in fact a lot of my lab is equipment left laying around :) its when you find a 3750G switch left unused you start to smile :)
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • irishpunkirishpunk Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The all mighty all powerful 2950 it was awesome !!!! Of course, I also remember the embarrassment of not knowing how to do a password recovery as well icon_rolleyes.gif

Take care,
    Sean
  • CiskHoCiskHo Member Posts: 188
    They landed their hook in me with the FastHub400. Now I can't stop buying their gear... LOL
    My Lab Gear:
    2811(+SW/POE/ABGwifi/DOCSIS) - 3560G-24-EI - 3550-12G - 3550POE - (2) 2950G-24 - 7206VXR - 2651XM - (2) 2611XM - 1760 - (2) CP-7940G - ESXi Server

Just Finished: RHCT (1/8/11) and CCNA:S (Fall 2010)
    Prepping For: VCP and CCNP SWITCH, ROUTE, TSHOOT
  • ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    I think my first lab piece was a 2611 or 2514.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    johnwest43 wrote: »
    Do you remember your first piece of cisco equipment? How long ago was it? What was it a router,switch,firewall?

Mine was a pix 501 with the 10 user licence.

In 1999 I rescued a 2501 from a box in the stores in my current place of employment. We were a 3Com shop using Netbuilder II and leased lines. I cant tell you what a find this was. My boss said I could keep it and I still have it in my lab. It was licenced for IPX. Back then these things were 400 dollars on ebay.
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    1999, a Cisco 1005 that we used to stick on the end of leased lines. I still have it in the garage for sentimental reasons...awwwwwww.
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • SysAdmin4066SysAdmin4066 Member Posts: 443
    As a matter of fact I do. It was two routers. 2501 and 2507.

I was young and was hired to be a programmer. But was intrigued by Cisco. My boss was one strict mean boss. He was a true drill sergeant. For some reason he liked me, and allowed me to play with spare Cisco routers they had laying around. I eventually bought it from them.

Later I found out he was an ex marine. Explains everything!!

No such thing as an ex Marine.

Mine was in 2000, a 2500 routers, I think it was a 2501. I was going through com school in the Marine Corps ;)
    In Progress: CCIE R&S Written Scheduled July 17th (Tentative)

Next Up: CCIE R&S Lab
  • DeathgomperDeathgomper Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    irishpunk wrote: »
    The all mighty all powerful 2950 it was awesome !!!!

My next purchase was 2 - 2505 routers, only one of em had an OS. Getting TFTP to work from one to another was my first Cisco milestone!!