So i have no COMs port, how can i config the router??

definitydefinity Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi, i just got my new cisco router 851 but i have no coms port on any computer in the house, how can i connect to it and configure the IOS?

Comments

• tazdeviltazdevil Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You can get a USB to RS232 adapter, connect it to a USB port on your PC, let the drivers load, then configure your terminal client (HT/Putty, Teraterm, etc) to use the Cisco default.
    ICND1 - Passed March 19/2010
    ICND2 - Passed April 8/2010
  • notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    I have a USB to serial cable. Some generic brand I bought years ago. It connects to the cisco console cable and voila.....

It works "ok". When I do a show run, it gets a little jittery, it's not as smooth.

When I telnet into the same device, it's very smooth and quick....but it works.....
  • CiskHoCiskHo Member Posts: 188
    A console cable and serial to USB adapter is a must for anyone starting Cisco studies. The adapters are usually only $5-30.
    My Lab Gear:
    2811(+SW/POE/ABGwifi/DOCSIS) - 3560G-24-EI - 3550-12G - 3550POE - (2) 2950G-24 - 7206VXR - 2651XM - (2) 2611XM - 1760 - (2) CP-7940G - ESXi Server

Just Finished: RHCT (1/8/11) and CCNA:S (Fall 2010)
    Prepping For: VCP and CCNP SWITCH, ROUTE, TSHOOT
  • Study4CCNAStudy4CCNA Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just went through this same issue. I wound up going over to eBay and bought an IO Gear serial to USB adapter. I have been using Windows 7 and Vista and noticed that cheap adapters only worked with XP.

It works great with Teraterm.
  • thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    Does anyone have some issues with Serial to USB adapter?

I have it, and it works pretty well; however, it only works if I have my PC and TeraTerm on first before I turn on the switch or router.

The issue that I am getting is once I closed the TeraTerm, and tried to connect back to the console, the terminal is just blank, and I can't do anything. I double checked and made sure the COM port and the TeraTerms settings are right. Basically, I can only access the switch or routers' console by unplugging them and plugging them back to the power outlet.
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold
  • mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    thehourman wrote: »
    Does anyone have some issues with Serial to USB adapter?

I have it, and it works pretty well; however, it only works if I have my PC and TeraTerm on first before I turn on the switch or router.

The issue that I am getting is once I closed the TeraTerm, and tried to connect back to the console, the terminal is just blank, and I can't do anything. I double checked and made sure the COM port and the TeraTerms settings are right. Basically, I can only access the switch or routers' console by unplugging them and plugging them back to the power outlet.
    Could be some handshaking issue, what handshaking are you selecting (xon/xoff, hardware, none etc). I tend to use 'none' with 9600 baud, 8 data, 1 stop bit and no parity.
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
    mikem2te wrote: »
    Could be some handshaking issue, what handshaking are you selecting (xon/xoff, hardware, none etc). I tend to use 'none' with 9600 baud, 8 data, 1 stop bit and no parity.

I use those options as well.....

Also try hyperterminal and see if you get the same issues.....

You can then compare hyperterminals performances to teraterm...
    What console terminal do you guys use?

I use this TT settings:
    Port: COM7
    Baud rate: 9600
    Data: 8 bit
    parity: none
    Stop: 1bit
    Flow control: none
    0 msec/char 0 msec/line

@notgoing2fail,
    hyperterminal comes with Windows, right?
    Studying:
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    What console terminal do you guys use?

I use this TT settings:
    Port: COM7
    Baud rate: 9600
    Data: 8 bit
    parity: none
    Stop: 1bit
    Flow control: none
    0 msec/char 0 msec/line

@notgoing2fail,
    hyperterminal comes with Windows, right?

I use ZOC by Emtec, but it's not free. I love it too....

hyperterminal used to come with windows. If you're on XP you still have it. I think they took it out for Vista and definitely Win7.

I hear you can just copy it from XP to vista/win7 but I never tried it....
    I did look in the Win7 accessories, but did not find it.
    And I still have the issue of with my Serial/USB adapter. I still can't access the switch after I closed the teraterm. I hate to unplug and replug the power cord of my switches and routers everytime I want to use the console.

Is there a way to fix this?
    TeraTerm users do you have this kind of problem with your serial/usb adapter?
    I am using my netbook with Windows 7 professional x86 to access the console.
    Studying:
    Reading:
    I did look in the Win7 accessories, but did not find it.
    And I still have the issue of with my Serial/USB adapter. I still can't access the switch after I closed the teraterm. I hate to unplug and replug the power cord of my switches and routers everytime I want to use the console.

Is there a way to fix this?
    TeraTerm users do you have this kind of problem with your serial/usb adapter?
    I am using my netbook with Windows 7 professional x86 to access the console.

Download this. I downloaded this just this past weekend.

Download HyperTerminal Private Edition, HyperTerminal Private Edition 7.0 Download

See if you get the same issue as you do with Teraterm....
    I downloaded Putty and it seems to be working. And about my issue, it seems to be OK with putty.
    I reran TT and it seems to be working when I pressed enter key after I reopened TT's window.

Let me try to restart my netbook and lets see if I can console my switch wit TT and putty. i will report back.

EDIT:
    I just restarted my netbook and TT seems to be working the way I want it to work. For two days, when I let my switches/routers on and disconnected or restarted my netbook and open TT, I always got the blank screen with the cursor. Now, it works like it should be. I think the problem is the CPU of my netbook. Maybe my netbook's CPU was busy, and could not process the TT calculation. Or could be user error.
    Studying:
    Reading:
    I downloaded Putty and it seems to be working. And about my issue, it seems to be OK with putty.
    I reran TT and it seems to be working when I pressed enter key after I reopened TT's window.

Let me try to restart my netbook and lets see if I can console my switch wit TT and putty. i will report back.

EDIT:
    I just restarted my netbook and TT seems to be working the way I want it to work. For two days, when I let my switches/routers on and disconnected or restarted my netbook and open TT, I always got the blank screen with the cursor. Now, it works like it should be. I think the problem is the CPU of my netbook. Maybe my netbook's CPU was busy, and could not process the TT calculation. Or could be user error.

That's a possiblity. I've been thinking of getting a netbook for my lab. Just for connectivity testing and terminal access. It's hard to imagine that the processor on the netbook is that weak to handle the terminal but you never know!

I forgot about PUtty, that's one that everyone has in their bag of tricks...

All I can say is that I've never had issues disconnecting the cords, I've never had to reboot my pc for any reason to connect and reconnect with devices....
    When I checked the processing of the CPU on netbook it was on full load and I got some crap running as well. I will clean my netbook tomorrow and disable some startup. By doing that it should boost up the performance.

TT and putty, should not be resources eater. I am sure the one that uses my netbook resources are the stuff I installed. Heck I could even use Photoshop on my netbook, and it worked, but slow when I start painting.

Dude, this netbook helps me a lot on my lab because it is portable and it does what it suppose to do. I actually use this for school. If you are getting a netbook I would recommend the Asus because performance and $ they are the best. Just make sure get rid off the bloatwares.
    Studying:
    Reading:
    When I checked the processing of the CPU on netbook it was on full load and I got some crap running as well. I will clean my netbook tomorrow and disable some startup. By doing that it should boost up the performance.

TT and putty, should not be resources eater. I am sure the one that uses my netbook resources are the stuff I installed. Heck I could even use Photoshop on my netbook, and it worked, but slow when I start painting.

Dude, this netbook helps me a lot on my lab because it is portable and it does what it suppose to do. I actually use this for school. If you are getting a netbook I would recommend the Asus because performance and $ they are the best. Just make sure get rid off the bloatwares.

Good to know. The ASUS is actually what I was considering. I read an article on comparisons and the ASUS came out the best.

I'm an HP guy and all my equipment is HP, but their netbook came out as one of the worse performers. So for lab purposes, I don't need HP....

WinXP might be better too than Win7 I'm not sure. Reports came out kinda 50/50...

But at least with XP you'll get hyperterminal! :D
    I heard some bad stuff about hyperterminal. I still prefer Teraterm. I have the Asus 1005HA-PU1X-BK, and got it from newegg. I got rid-off XP and installed Windows 7 Professional x86. About the performance XP and 7, for me it is the same. I even installed the Windows 7 RC Ultimate and it seems to be the same speed as my Professional.
    I always like Win7 since beta, I am thinking to get the Win7 cert just for the heck of it and to help me to get an IT support job while studying for CCNA.
    In the end, XP is still lighter OS than 7.
    Also, I use Ubuntu 9.10(desktop version) on the different partition and if I am going to compare XP, 7 and Ubuntu(desktop version) on my Asus netbook, the Ubuntu 9.10 is the fastest in all category. The only problem that I have with Ubuntu is my Wifi. It is kind of weak and slower even though it is 5ft away from my WRT610Nv2 router.
    Studying:
    Reading:
    I heard some bad stuff about hyperterminal. I still prefer Teraterm. I have the Asus 1005HA-PU1X-BK, and got it from newegg. I got rid-off XP and installed Windows 7 Professional x86. About the performance XP and 7, for me it is the same. I even installed the Windows 7 RC Ultimate and it seems to be the same speed as my Professional.
    I always like Win7 since beta, I am thinking to get the Win7 cert just for the heck of it and to help me to get an IT support job while studying for CCNA.
    In the end, XP is still lighter OS than 7.
    Also, I use Ubuntu 9.10(desktop version) on the different partition and if I am going to compare XP, 7 and Ubuntu(desktop version) on my Asus netbook, the Ubuntu 9.10 is the fastest in all category. The only problem that I have with Ubuntu is my Wifi. It is kind of weak and slower even though it is 5ft away from my WRT610Nv2 router.

I like Win7 too. Bought the professional OEM copy off newegg. And the laptop I just bought came with Win7 Home. It is different than Vista. I can't pinpoint it exactly....

I have 9.04 Ubuntu running on my desktop. It's been rock solid, I really enjoy using it, unfortunately it's been collecting dust lately, I just haven't been able to give it the time it deserves....

If you want to get Win7 certified for your own benefit go for it. But don't fall into the trap that I did, which is to let people know what you know. They end up tearing you apart and using you for anything, watering your skillsets down. That's what I put a stop to just recently.

For example, I turned down a couple job opportunities recently for programming. I've been developing websites for over 10 years and I'm just utterly sick and tired of it. When I went to some leads last week for networking gigs, they started talking about programming.

Foolishly I talked about how I've been developing for years...then I had to be honest with them and tell them that unfortunately I came to seek out networking gigs, not programming.

I know people many think that's a foolish thing for me to do, but I don't enjoy it anymore and I have no heart for it. I don't even want to think about opening up Dreamweaver and begin coding....
    I always want to be a programmer after my teacher in highschool talked about viruses and stuff. Once I become a network engineer, I will continue studying, and go back to college and start com sci. Since I think I am going to enjoy Cisco, I might stay with it as a career.

You are right, it is not fun if you are doing something you don't like. It feels empty inside.
    I have many thing that I want to do to be honest. I want to be good in CS4 as a digital painter for fun, study com sci, Cisco, etc. Going to college is really hard especially when money is very tight. I eat cup noodles for a reason.
    Studying:
    Reading:
    I always want to be a programmer after my teacher in highschool talked about viruses and stuff. Once I become a network engineer, I will continue studying, and go back to college and start com sci. Since I think I am going to enjoy Cisco, I might stay with it as a career.

You are right, it is not fun if you are doing something you don't like. It feels empty inside.
    I have many thing that I want to do to be honest. I want to be good in CS4 as a digital painter for fun, study com sci, Cisco, etc. Going to college is really hard especially when money is very tight. I eat cup noodles for a reason.

There's no problem if you want to do this as a hobby and even make some money on the side doing it. If you find out that you have more of a love for coding, I say go for it!! You may find out eventually Cisco isn't it for you.

4 months ago, I studied heavily for VMware. I was ready for my VCP4. Was just about to sign up for the very very expensive Vmware course because you can only get your VCP4 if you've taken a course, you can't self study.

Eventually I started to get a little turned off from all the things I learned about VMware....

So right now it's Cisco for me. So far I'm not finding anything I don't like about it....
    I just want to make sure, I can take Cisco exams anytime I want even though I don't go to a Cisco course. Basically, no prerequisites.

Same here Cisco seems to be a good career.
    Studying:
    Reading:
    I just want to make sure, I can take Cisco exams anytime I want even though I don't go to a Cisco course. Basically, no prerequisites.

Same here Cisco seems to be a good career.

I think hanging out here and other sites really help. People ask questions that bring you down to Earth. Just when you think you know PPP, they'll ask you a question that makes you look up the answers....

Places like this helps keeps your skillsets sharp when you aren't using it because of curious questions other people are asking...
    Yep. Actually, this is the only that has members who replies to me, and willing to help the newbies. I love this forum.
    Studying:
    Reading:
    Yep. Actually, this is the only that has members who replies to me, and willing to help the newbies. I love this forum.

Yeah I think it's human nature, once you get your CCNA, you're off to the CCNP forum. LOL....

I guess some people stick around to help new guys. I still consider myself very new. I plan on trying to help any newbies down the road. It benefits everyone.

Get your lab setup already, I want to see pictures!
    Yep, damn ebay it has been more than a week now. I will contact monoprice on Monday because I ordered those DCE-DTE cables on their ebay store. The cables are like $2+ each, those are dirt cheap. The S/H is pretty darn slow though.

I hope the OP got the answer that he is looking for, we just made his thread as our own. I feel shame for myself for not noticing it. Let me make a reply to the OP
    Studying:
    Reading:
    definity wrote: »
    Hi, i just got my new cisco router 851 but i have no coms port on any computer in the house, how can i connect to it and configure the IOS?
    I use this serial to USB adapter from newegg Newegg.com - SABRENT SBT-USC1K USB to Serial (9-pin) DB-9 RS-232 Adapter Cable - Adapters & Gender Changers
    Just make sure that don't use the CD that comes with it, go to the manufacture website and download the latest driver for your OS. This applies on whatever stuff you buy, always go to manufacturer website and download the latest drivers.
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • binargsbinargs Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i personally use keyspan usb adapter and putty to do router consoles.

keyspan is the only adapter (i think) with microsoft WHQL drivers. which is very significant.

also the best adapter i ever used.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I have 2 different USB to serial cables in my kit. One of them works for damn near ever single piece of gear I've ever had to console into. The only thing it doesn't work for is a Force10 S50 switch. That's what the second one is for.

What really screws with me is that both usb cables are the same damn chipset