Anyone taking the composite before it's to late???

davidspirovalentinedavidspirovalentine Member Posts: 353 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey People,

Some of you might be aware that I started my CCNP studies... All of you should be aware that come July 31st there will be no more composite exam that comines the BSCI and the BCMSN...

My question, do you think it is worth taking still? Here is my issue, I know it would be more 'real world' to take the ROUTE and SWITCH exams for obvious reasons like the fact that they dropped IS-IS as a topic and focus more on IPv6. The reason I want to take the composite is that time is of the essence and I really need to get this out of the way. I plan to sit the composite about mid June and then the TSHOOT three months after.

To all of you that have sat the composite, please tell me your views in detail if you can, as I would really like to get an overall fell of what you felt and experienced in the exam. In regards to:
*Time Management
*Lab times (how long you spent on em)
*Topic Coverage (whether it was evenly distributed between BSCI and BCMSN topics)

Please do not post any specific info that would violate your NDA's cause I'm not looking for that. I just want to know if I can do this or not, If I can't I will be more than happy to sit the ROUTE and SWITCH separately.

Awaiting your views and opinions...

Kind Regards,
David
Failure is a stepping stone to success...

Comments

• billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    Dave,

You can do what you want as long as it is before July 31st. I didn't do the composite, but you could do that, and then TSHOOT. It's the same as doing BSCI, BCMSN, and then TSHOOT. Except instead of doing BSCI and BCMSN, separately you do them together. I can see where you would get less questions on each specific test, because this is only 50-60 questions from BSCI and BCMSN combined, instead of 50-60 questions for each. So, that's a positive side, the negative is you have to learn both materials at the same time. So it's really up to you, how you do it.
  • Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    I would say unless you have extensive experience in routing and switching, taking and passing the composite exam before July 31st is probably unrealistic.

These two exams are very, very hard. I failed both the first time and this was after using every book, video, and online docs I could find on the applicable subjects and labbing everything I could.

I would aim for passing the BSCI or BCMSN before the deadline. But again, I don't know your background and maybe you just need a refresher before you sit the exam.

Just my 2 cents
  • davidspirovalentinedavidspirovalentine Member Posts: 353 ■■■■□□□□□□
    billscott92787- Thanks for that. I realize I will have to study a whole lot of material, I only thought of taking the composite to save myself time.

Ryan82- With those thoughts in mind, I might actually just sit the newer exams to pace myself.

Thanks for the advise people!!!

Regards,
    David
  • billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    That would probably be your best bet. This composite is nothing like the CCNA composite. BSCI is really tough to be honest. I passed my BCMSN on the 1st try. But the BSCI I failed one time, passed on the 2nd. I have to admit to you that it was the hardest exam of my entire life. Even when I passed the 2nd time, I wasn't sure if I passed or failed when I hit submit.
  • davidspirovalentinedavidspirovalentine Member Posts: 353 ■■■■□□□□□□
    billscott92787- Yeah, I have faced the facts that my time schedule is unrealistic.

I will however be sitting the ROUTE exam soon, May 10th... Will study hard and dive into my Labs once have read the book completely! I Lab while I read but this one is going to take some serious lab hours to pass...

Thanks again for the support!

On a different note, your just waiting for your TSHOOT results and you will be a CCNP! Congrats in advance! Did you enjoy the TSHOOT beta? How long after this are you gonna wait to engage in your CCIE?

Regards,
    David
  • yebo2010yebo2010 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would advise you sitting BSCI instead of ROUTE! There is alot of study material on BSCI than ROUTE! And write BCMSN instead of SWITCH for the same reason.

If you are serious you can pass both these before 31st July and start preparing for the TSHOOT exam!

Good luck!