Options

VWIC-1MFT-E1 Help

FatbunnyFatbunny Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
Just bought a VWIC-1MFT-E1 from ebay. Plugged it in to 2611XM WIC slot and powered up, the first light comes on. Following Jeremy CBT video, I wanted to set it up for voice as a PRI. However, when I enter interface mode, and try set the framing, I don't have a sf or esf option, only CRC and CRC4 like so

R1(config)#controller E1 0/0
R1(config-controller)#framing ?
CRC
CRC4

Did I buy the wrong one, or need a newer firmware for the device?

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think you'd need an old AIM-VOICE30 or AIM-ATM-VOICE30 to support the voice function of that VWIC in a 2600XM WIC slot, otherwise the best you do with that card is use it for data only. Other option is to get an NM-HDV and some PVDMs and put the VWIC-1MFT-E1 in that.

What IOS Version and Feature Set are you running? Does show diag recognize the VWIC?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    Fatbunny wrote: »
    Just bought a VWIC-1MFT-E1 from ebay. Plugged it in to 2611XM WIC slot and powered up, the first light comes on. Following Jeremy CBT video, I wanted to set it up for voice as a PRI. However, when I enter interface mode, and try set the framing, I don't have a sf or esf option, only CRC and CRC4 like so

R1(config)#controller E1 0/0
    R1(config-controller)#framing ?
    CRC
    CRC4

Did I buy the wrong one, or need a newer firmware for the device?
    I might be wrong but I think that is expected, SF and ESF are T1 framing types when running robbed bit signalling / channel associated signalling. E1/PRI use common channel signalling where all signalling info is put into time slot 16. I agree with Mikej412, you will still need DSP resources to run voice - AIM-Voice30 / NM-HDV - I've not tested these options personally but I understand they work work with the E1.

Have you just got 1 E1 card or have you got more and planning to connect up two routers?

Did you buy the wrong one - the VWIC-MFT is the card you're probably after, whether an E1 or T1 depends on where are you based. 'm in Europe where we use E1 so I bought VWIC-1MFT-E1 cards.
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
  • Options
    Thanks mike, makes sense, think I need a NM-HDV for that. Might try get one of those voice30 cards. No harm in having both if I can afford it.

Understanding 1-Port and 2-Port E1 Multiflex Trunk Voice/WAN Interface Cards (VWICs) - Cisco Systems
  • Options
    Yeah, E1 was the one I wanted, am in Ireland, am planning to get another one at some stage and do a cross over connection. This one only cost me 15 euro delivered (looks like an ebay bargin to me).
  • Options
    mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    Fatbunny wrote: »
    Yeah, E1 was the one I wanted, am in Ireland, am planning to get another one at some stage and do a cross over connection. This one only cost me 15 euro delivered (looks like an ebay bargin to me).
    Definately a bargain. The cheapest I bought on ebay was £11 but it was described as an ethernet card - a risky purchase but it paid off. I paid much more than that when I needed some for my voice studies.
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route