Cordless Phone Recommendations?

tazdeviltazdevil Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am trying to figure out which model of cordless phone would be good for a phone lab, the 7920 802.11b or the 7921 802.11abg, phone for some phone testing? Or should I not bother and just use the ip communicator on a laptop? The 7920's are around $100, and the 7921's are around $220.

This is for a lab in which I want to test wifi vlan roaming basically.

Start in one Vlan with an ip add 192.168.1.x and move to another vlan with 192.168.5.x etc... and not drop the call.

Any advice would be appreciated.
ICND1 - Passed March 19/2010
ICND2 - Passed April 8/2010

Comments

• mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    tazdevil wrote: »
    I am trying to figure out which model of cordless phone would be good for a phone lab, the 7920 802.11b or the 7921 802.11abg, phone for some phone testing? Or should I not bother and just use the ip communicator on a laptop? The 7920's are around $100, and the 7921's are around $220.

This is for a lab in which I want to test wifi vlan roaming basically.

Start in one Vlan with an ip add 192.168.1.x and move to another vlan with 192.168.5.x etc... and not drop the call.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    I heard the 7920's are a bit flakey and the 7921's were the ones to go for. Not tried either personally, they are both a bit expensive for the use I would get out of it.

Not too sure you will have much luck with your mission to roam across vlans though. The quickest I have managed to get roaming to work on standalone access points is about 2 seconds. It's possible to get quicker with light weight access points and wireless controller though.

All that said, that is within the same vlan / ip network. Crossing to another IP address range will need dhcp to kick in to aquire an IP address, default gateway etc.
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
  • tazdeviltazdevil Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank-you, I was thinking the 7921's, with more 802.11 options, ABG, etc.

I have some ProCurve (yes non-cisco) access points I am setting up with a controller, and one of the things they talk about is using VoWlan, which is voice wireless lan roaming, and having a Cisco phone network working, and just adding some Cisco wifi phones, and linking the whole thing together.
    ICND1 - Passed March 19/2010
    ICND2 - Passed April 8/2010