Microsft Certified Master - Brent Ozar's Blog

RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
I know we have discussed the MCM a few times here on TE. I just wanted to mention that Brent Ozar, one of the demigods of the SQL Server community, is detailing his experience in the program on his blog.

Brent Ozar - Too Much Information

As expected, it's amazingly intense.

Comments

• TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I know we have discussed the MCM a few times here on TE. I just wanted to mention that Brent Ozar, one of the demigods of the SQL Server community, is detailing his experience in the program on his blog.

Brent Ozar - Too Much Information

As expected, it's amazingly intense.

Good luck to him. I do think though that the MCM, MCA and Cisco Architect monikers are a bridge too far for most of us with full-on commitments in the field. Interesting to see how people got on though.
  • RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    Awesome, great link. Thanks.

Anyone want to loan me $18,500 and about 10 years experience? :)
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Awesome, great link. Thanks.

Anyone want to loan me $18,500 and about 10 years experience? :)

A lot of people have the years but I think you need an organisation behind you to bankroll that sort of outlay!
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    I hope at some point they make something higher than the MCITP but on the level that people can actually achieve it. A couple grand and having it lab based would mostly elminate cheaters and noobs. They should rework the MCM into that category and let the MCA stay elite.
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    I hope at some point they make something higher than the MCITP but on the level that people can actually achieve it. A couple grand and having it lab based would mostly elminate cheaters and noobs. They should rework the MCM into that category and let the MCA stay elite.

Sounds feasible to me.

Is this how you kind of have envisioned the Microsoft certifications compared to Cisco equiv?

CNA = MCA
    CCIE = MCM
    CCNP = MCITP (both EA and SA)
    CCNA = MCTS
    Turgon wrote: »
    Good luck to him. I do think though that the MCM, MCA and Cisco Architect monikers are a bridge too far for most of us with full-on commitments in the field. Interesting to see how people got on though.

Or just not have a wife :) Amazing how many holes your wallet develops when you are married.

Luckily, I am free icon_cool.gif
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Or just not have a wife :) Amazing how many holes your wallet develops when you are married.

Luckily, I am free icon_cool.gif

True in someways, but I am learning quickly that without my wife I would stray into a very dull life of study, study, and live IT. Otherwise I would become a very boring person... icon_wink.gif
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sounds feasible to me.

Is this how you kind of have envisioned the Microsoft certifications compared to Cisco equiv?

CNA = MCA
    CCIE = MCM
    CCNP = MCITP (both EA and SA)
    CCNA = MCTS

I would say CCNA = MCIPT SA; CCENT is MCTS and other entry level MCITPs. Although this is like comparing apples and oranges.

I would like to see the MCM have the stature of the CCIE, though.
    True in someways, but I am learning quickly that without my wife I would stray into a very dull life of study, study, and live IT. I would become a very boring person...

Crap. I'm boring. icon_cry.gif
    I would say CCNA = MCIPT SA; CCENT is MCTS and other entry level MCITPs. Although this is like comparing apples and oranges.

I would like to see the MCM have the stature of the CCIE, though.

Apples and oranges :)
    Found this on the blog:

he MCM schedule goes like this:
    • Week 1 – M-F – training
    • Week 1 – Weekend – study time
    • Week 2 – Monday 8am – written exam covering Week 1’s material
    • Week 2 – M-F – training
    • Week 2 – Weekend – study time
    • Week 3 – Monday 8am – written exam covering Week 2’s material (today)
    • Week 3 – M-F – training
    • Week 3 – Saturday 8am – written exam covering Week 3’s material
    • Week 3 – Saturday 10am-4pm – 6-hour lab exam covering all the material

Sounds pretty grueling lol.

Sounds pretty grueling lol.

I would like to have a better window into what the material covers. Not that they should post the material itself, but just a general guide like the objectives for the MCTS/MCITP exams.

Even without it, though, I am sure that this is not material like we might use to prep for the MCITP. The detail must be insane, like the Windows Internals and SQL Server Internals book squished into a single week.
    Brent posted some interesting details about the negatives of the program.

SQL MCM: Now, the bad stuff. | Brent Ozar - Too Much Information

Very good information. I’m glad to see his opinion is tempered with some reality and isn’t just rainbows and puppy dogs.