Options

Server+ Question

subl1m1nalsubl1m1nal Member Posts: 176
Hi all,

I have a quick question. I already have my MCSA. Would it be beneficial to get server+? I was considering getting Linux+ but heard they're changing the test next month. I was also considering Project+ and Convergence+. Any ideas or recommendations?

Thanks,
Subl1m1nal
Currently Working On: 70-643 - Configuring Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure

Plans for 2010: MCITP:EA and CCNA
70-648 - Done
70-643 - In progress
70-647 - Still on my list
70-680 - Still on my list

www.coantech.com
www.thecoans.net
www.facebook.com/tylercoan
www.twitter.com/tylercoan
www.linkedin.com/users/tylercoan

Comments

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    subl1m1nal wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have a quick question. I already have my MCSA. Would it be beneficial to get server+? I was considering getting Linux+ but heard they're changing the test next month. I was also considering Project+ and Convergence+. Any ideas or recommendations?

Thanks,
    Subl1m1nal

Server+ might not be as well known as some of the other comptia certs but the information will be valuable. As would the information from Project+ and Convergence+. I believe that those two are even more obscure than the Server+ so getting then might not make a big difference on your resume but the knowledge should be valuable.

I think Linux+ is good, and better known than convergance+ and project+. Just keep in mind that it is an entry level cert and does not compare well against the likes of the RHCE
  • Options
    steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Picking up Server+ wouldn't hurt but I don't think it'll help that much, either. It's just kinda there.

If your looking at Comptia certs, I'd try to pick up the ones that'll be effected by the new renewal policy (A+, Net+, Security+).
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    You have already surpassed the Comptia stuff by getting the MCSA. You would be way better served by finishing out the MCSE, upgrading to MCITP SA, or doing the latter and then moving to MCITP EA. I would even say doing something like MCITP EDA 7 or MCITP VA would be a vastly better step than going back to Comptia.
  • Options
    subl1m1nalsubl1m1nal Member Posts: 176
    Oh wow. I thought it was all CompTIA certs that are being affected by the new renewal policy. Shoot.

Looks like I'll hop back on the Microsoft wagon or I'll tackle CCNA. Thanks guys!
    Currently Working On: 70-643 - Configuring Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure

Plans for 2010: MCITP:EA and CCNA
    70-648 - Done
    70-643 - In progress
    70-647 - Still on my list
    70-680 - Still on my list

www.coantech.com
    www.thecoans.net
    www.facebook.com/tylercoan
    www.twitter.com/tylercoan
    www.linkedin.com/users/tylercoan
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    subl1m1nal wrote: »
    Oh wow. I thought it was all CompTIA certs that are being affected by the new renewal policy. Shoot.

Looks like I'll hop back on the Microsoft wagon or I'll tackle CCNA. Thanks guys!

There may be some movement toward making ALL the CompTIA certs renewable over time, but for now, just the trio.

CCNA if an interest for you, would likely be a good path to begin down. FWIW
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?