Options

A few newbie questions

DustystratDustystrat Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
I finished reading Todd's Sybex book and played with Boson and Sybex Gold sims. A few things that I think should be simple that are still fuzzy in my head... I think some of this is from not having a real router to play with and my background is small Lans. Usually just hubs involved, not switches & routers. Anyway... here's my questions....

You connect to a router through a console port to configure it. Great. The physical connection is made. Now... How do you get to the actual window to start configuring it. Do you telnet into it somehow? Does Cisco provide software? A pretty simple thing and I can't seem to find an answer anywhere. What would be the command from a Windows command line. "telnet com2" or something?

Setting up a routing protocol using the CLI. Todd shows the same Class C example in every version of his books to set up static and dynamic routing tables. What about Class B? Would it look like this?

Lab_A#config t
Lab_A(config)#interface fa0/0
Lab_A(config-if)#ip address 172.16.0.1 255.255.0.0
Lab_A(config-if)#no shut
Lab_A(config-if)#interface serial 0/0
Lab_A(config-if)#ip address 172.15.0.1 255.255.0.0
Lab_A(config-if)#no shut
Lab_A(config-if)#exit
Lab_A(config)#router igrp 123
Lab_A(config-router)#netw 172.16.0.0
Lab_A(config-router)#netw 172.15.0.0
Lab_A(config-router)#^Z
Lab_A#copy run start

Lastly... (for now)

What does the second numbers mean in a "serial 0/0?"
One is an interface number. What's the other? I don't see it in the book. Is it something to do with 100Mb connections? Sometimes you see it as "s0/0" and sometimes just "s0" in the sims I'm messing with. I thought it was a subinterface until I got to the chapter that explained a subinterface was "fa0/1.1"

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Sad thing is, I don't even think half of what I asked would end up as CCNA questions.
Working on CCNA

Comments

• Options
    kplabkplab Member Posts: 101
    1. You can access the console through a terminal emulation software, e.g. HyperTerminal. Configure it to use the COM port that is connected to the router, with terminal settings of 9600 baud rate, no parity, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, and no flow control.

2. The interface and routing protocol configuration seems to be alright.

3. Depending on the model of a router, an interface can be specified as <interface-type> <port#> (e.g. serial 0) or <interface-type> <slot#>/<port#> (e.g. serial 0/1). For router models that have physical slots such that modules can be plugged into the slots (e.g. 2600, 3600, 7000 series), both the slot number and the port number of an interface have to be specified.
    KPLAB
    www.kp-lab.com - Free CCNA, CCNP, and Network+ Study Guides
  • Options
    DustystratDustystrat Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks a bunch. A great help.
    Working on CCNA