Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Prometric or Vue
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    So what is a Proctored, computer-based exam for the geneds like? Where do we take them?
    For the english classes I took which were objective proctored I took them at a Sylvan because it was closer. The IT exams have to be at a Pearsonvue or Prometric.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Cool. I thoroughly prefer computer based exam to hand written stuff.

I feel more comfortable in front of a PC, and I can type extremely fast. My hand aches bad if I have to write essays.

The community college I attended is about 5 mins from my house. They do Promtric testing (and certs) and are on the list for the testing centers as well, so that should make for some convenience.
  • cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    Oddly enough, I take my assessment exams at a local university's testing center. My nearest Prometric/Vue center is almost a 2 hour drive, one way. I hate that long drive. The university is a prometric/vue center too, but they do not do certification exams, unfortunately.
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre
  • fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360
    cablegod wrote: »
    Oddly enough, I take my assessment exams at a local university's testing center. My nearest Prometric/Vue center is almost a 2 hour drive, one way. I hate that long drive. The university is a prometric/vue center too, but they do not do certification exams, unfortunately.

thats actually not that uncommon ;) every community college I have seen has some kind of testing center and most with either Prometric or Vue.
    CCNP :study:
    The community college I attended is about 5 mins from my house. They do Prometric testing (and certs) and are on the list for the testing centers as well, so that should make for some convenience.

I got you beaten, New Horizons is across the street from work. I just walk over and do my tests icon_thumright.gif
    I got you beaten, New Horizons is across the street from work. I just walk over and do my tests icon_thumright.gif

Well, NH is across from my work too. But the front desk lady is a little odd and their computers are junk.

If anything I take is only offered at Vue, I will have to go there. Its the only Vue testing center in town. icon_sad.gif
    If anything I take is only offered at Vue, I will have to go there. Its the only Vue testing center in town. icon_sad.gif

You should be happy then, Prometric is the default testing center. You have to specify Vue if you want them.
    For the gen ed classes it's easier to get a testing center. For my cert tests I have to drive 2 hours. I actually have a site closer but it's dirty and the comps are junk.
    For your composition class you actually have to write a composition on the computer at the test site then it gets graded (mine took less than 1 day) and you find out if you pass.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    If I come close to making it in 6 months and spill over to another term where I have less than a months work left, and its due to my mentor (or whoever) dragging a$$ on grading or whatnot...there will be words had with some manager at WGU.

If that happens and there's no fault to be found, I would say-- use any remaining time in the term to pick up any certs they'll pay for!
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
    petedude wrote: »
    If that happens and there's no fault to be found, I would say-- use any remaining time in the term to pick up any certs they'll pay for!

wait.. so you can take classes for another degree and pick up the certs that WGU pays for? So basically, if I go into the Security program, I can still get the MCITP from the Network Design/Management program?
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    fly351 wrote: »
    wait.. so you can take classes for another degree and pick up the certs that WGU pays for? So basically, if I go into the Security program, I can still get the MCITP from the Network Design/Management program?

My understanding is students have been asked if they'd like to take more classes if they finish their program early. Bear in mind, your tuition pays for any course materials other than books for ANY courses you take, so you could conceivably get a free ride (actually prepaid) through a few extra exams if you'd like. I doubt they'd let you pick up multiple concentrations, but a few extra exams would not surprise me. Remember, anything extra you sign up for you have to finish.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
    My understanding is students have been asked if they'd like to take more classes if they finish their program early. Bear in mind, your tuition pays for any course materials other than books for ANY courses you take, so you could conceivably get a free ride (actually prepaid) through a few extra exams if you'd like. I doubt they'd let you pick up multiple concentrations, but a few extra exams would not surprise me. Remember, anything extra you sign up for you have to finish.

Very interesting. I would definitely take advantage of this if it comes up.
    fly351 wrote: »
    afraid not. Unless you change programs. You can't refer for (or get voucher for cert) anything not in your program. You also have to be signed up for the class by your mentor before referring to take an assessment. I've never heard of them letting you take additional classes but it's possible (doubtful) and just if you complete your degree that last term and have only had to take 1 or 2 classes. I'll pose that hypthetical to my mentor.
    You also can't change programs mid term. If you decide to switch from Sec to Network Design and management then you have to wait til start of next term. Also, If they're doing program changes (such as when they switched from XP client systems to Vista) I had to do a program change at beginning of term.
    Most mentors also have a cutoff rule...5th month 2nd week no new referrals for exams. This is to avoid possibly not completing exam and having a not passed affect my cumulative SAP (Which is like your overall GPA)
    Example: Last term I was trying to accelerate Sec+ had all study material and worked through the COS. Got the Exam Force but didn't finish it til after the cutoff date, i was not signed up for class yet so it didn't count as a not passed but couldn't refer for exam until start of new term, Took test 2nd week of new term.
    You may not be able to sign up for other classes and get the vouchers, but you would get the time while enrolled to take advantage of stuff like 55% off MS exams, Dell EPP discounts, etc. So it wouldnt be a total loss.
  • jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
    @earweed

So I can get study material for a later class before I'm scheduled to take it??? That's whats up! (if that's the case...lol)

I have a question though. They said that I will get an email from my mentor. I see that they updated my portal to show the mentor's contact info. Can I contact them first.

And for the millionth time...

Does anyone know if any of the IT courses have prerequisites??? lmbo If so, what are they?
    Reading: What ever is on my desk that day :study:
  • LeuryLeury Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Guys quick question. For tests , you have to take them at a testing site? I see you guys talking about having to take tests in test sites. For example if I had a test for my math class while enrolled in WGU I would have to go to my local testing college ? Just a little confuse about the whole thing.
    jahsoul wrote: »
    @earweed

So I can get study material for a later class before I'm scheduled to take it??? That's whats up! (if that's the case...lol)

I have a question though. They said that I will get an email from my mentor. I see that they updated my portal to show the mentor's contact info. Can I contact them first.

And for the millionth time...

Does anyone know if any of the IT courses have prerequisites??? lmbo If so, what are they?

#1 yes you can contact them first
    #2 yes but they're not written in stone (not really followed) most of your cert tests will say you need this much experience working in that field but you can still take the cert test and it counts. Your mentor will recommend taking some certs in a certain order.
    @earweed

Hmm, pretty much starts from square one, A+, CIW certs, Network+.. can't get much more prerequisite than that ;)
    earweed wrote: »
    afraid not. Unless you change programs. You can't refer for (or get voucher for cert) anything not in your program. You also have to be signed up for the class by your mentor before referring to take an assessment. I've never heard of them letting you take additional classes but it's possible (doubtful) and just if you complete your degree that last term and have only had to take 1 or 2 classes. I'll pose that hypthetical to my mentor.

So which is it? Getting conflicting info here.. icon_cry.gif
  • jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
    The reason I'm asking is because I've been studying for my CCNA and wondering if that could be one of my first courses...*shrugs* Welp, I need to call up my mentor..
    Reading: What ever is on my desk that day :study:
    Leury wrote: »
    Guys quick question. For tests , you have to take them at a testing site? I see you guys talking about having to take tests in test sites. For example if I had a test for my math class while enrolled in WGU I would have to go to my local testing college ? Just a little confuse about the whole thing.
    For classes with objective assessments the tests are taken at an approved testing center. Your tuitioncovers this. I took mine at a Sylvan Learning Center as it was the closest testing center. Sylvan works differently though, instaed of a voucher WGU sends you a check to give to the testing center.
    For IT assessments you use Vue or Prometric. Prometric is the default if you don't specify Vue and all MS tests have to be at a Prometric site.
    The reason I'm asking is because I've been studying for my CCNA and wondering if that could be one of my first courses...*shrugs* Welp, I need to call up my mentor..
    Like I said prerequisites are not written in stone and If you're already studying for it your mentor will prob sign you up for that class.
    Like I said prerequisites are not written in stone and If you're already studying for it your mentor will prob sign you up for that class.

True, and sometimes the Mentor will try to help you and be overruled by his/her boss. My Mentor was able to allow me to take the two A+/classes right away and finish them off since I had been studying for it.
    About if you would get to take additional classes for the next term..only those on your program. You wouldn't be fulltime therefore would pay tuition for p/t student.
    About if you would get to take additional classes for the next term..only those on your program. You wouldn't be fulltime therefore would pay tuition for p/t student.

Wait, there is a part time student tuition?

So if i only had a few classes left for a new term I could pay less?

I thought it was 2800$ per term or GTFO?
    Wait, there is a part time student tuition?

So if i only had a few classes left for a new term I could pay less?

I thought it was 2800$ per term or GTFO?
    My mentor told me that if it was 6 cu's you'd pay less. Prob more than half of f/t due to fees.
    I had heard of people earlier but they had payed full tuition and got it partially refunded.
    I was offered the partial refund last year when my mentor thought I'd want to "take a break" from school for personal reasons but I stayed in.
    6 CUs left for the whole term? Thats like one class, hah.
    Well 12 cu's is considered full time
    WGU confirmed that:

BGV1 = CCNA, replacing Network+
    BLV1 = CCNA:Security, replacing 70-298
    Well 12 cu's is considered full time

Its silly that I could bust rear and do 12-15 CUs in a month (easier classes) and then sit there for 5 months and wait for a new term. Granted, its only putting money in WGUs pockets and out of mine, but one could do that if they wanted.