Harddrive failier or windows profile?

aueddonlineaueddonline Member Posts: 611 ■■□□□□□□□□
So I have this laptop running vista which I turned on the other day and it went into startup recovery, the diagostic test said 'No OS files found on disk'

I then loaded up a Linux live CD and mounted the drive and I could navigate the whole disk except my profile folder, /Users/(my username) . I'm getting an input/ouput error

Could that just be a corrupted profile or am I looking at a new Harddisk? I haven't had a chance to run any disk check stuff on it yet.
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Comments

• astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Given the I/O errors it sounds like a hardware problem. In the very least the file system is corrupted. Given the cost of hard drives these days I wouldn't bother trying to reformat and hope everything works out, I'd just go pickup a new one.
  • aueddonlineaueddonline Member Posts: 611 ■■□□□□□□□□
    yeah probably right,

I have the toshiba recovery disk, not sure that will let me install to a new harddrive.
    What's another word for Thesaurus?
  • rwwest7rwwest7 Member Posts: 300
    A corrupted profile would still let you at least get to the login screen. Before doing anything drastic at least run a chkdsk on it first. This can be run from the recovery console, not sure how to get to it in Vista but in XP you just boot from install CD and choose the repair option.
  • loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
    Ya run chkdsk or use fdisk in dos and check the mbr or scan for bad sectors. If you can;t access that one part and only that part it could be bad sectors on the hard drive which is the first sign of a failing hard drive.

Even with vista you can still plop in a win xp disk and boot from that then go to ---> recovery console then go to ---> chkdsk or scan the mbr.

Side note most bios have a test for hard drives too.