Failed the CCNA exam :( so close but so far

Robinhood6062Robinhood6062 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
So I took the 640-802 today, I needed 825 and ended up getting 821. So yea that sucks. I'm going to retake it next week and spend the time studying my ass off. I didn't think the simulations where going to be intimidating because I have built a lot of networks and whatnot. But Between the time crunch, a tad understudies and perhaps a bit of bad luck, I fell short. Hopefully my score goes up the second go round.

Comments

• captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    It can be daunting the first go but you've seen the test. Brush up on the weak areas and kick that pig!

Good luck. icon_thumright.gif
  • peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That is very close... but not to beat the dead horse... "study your weak areas" and knock it out... Good luck!!!
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    Sorry to hear that, you were very close....

Did you notice a lot of IPv6 questions?
  • CiskHoCiskHo Member Posts: 188
    Run a couple more labs, brush up on your weakest topic and expect to pass it next week! Good luck! I failed by just a couple points my 1st attempt too. Passed the following week.
    My Lab Gear:
    2811(+SW/POE/ABGwifi/DOCSIS) - 3560G-24-EI - 3550-12G - 3550POE - (2) 2950G-24 - 7206VXR - 2651XM - (2) 2611XM - 1760 - (2) CP-7940G - ESXi Server

Just Finished: RHCT (1/8/11) and CCNA:S (Fall 2010)
    Prepping For: VCP and CCNP SWITCH, ROUTE, TSHOOT
  • laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    unlucky as you say so close.
    What was your breakdown like? any areas that were particularly weak?

Hit the books, do a few labs and re-take in a week and kick it a$$ icon_smile.gif
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    Don't get down on yourself. That is better than failing by 100 points. Brush up on a few weak areas, and labs, and retake that exam, you'll come out on top the first time. I passed my CCNA the first time, I didn't fail my first exam until I took my BSCI, I failed by 7 points, so I know how you feel. But I went back brushed up, retook it, and passed the 2nd try. You can do it you have the knowledge which shows. Just a few weak areas. Nothing wrong with that. Retake that beast and destroy it! You'll be posting back here next week saying you passed!
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Its all the little CCNA things. If I took it myself tommorow I might probably fail it. Prepare thoroughly and try again.
  • Robinhood6062Robinhood6062 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thx for all the comments and advice, I rescheduled for the 30th. I hope my score goes up and not down :P Best of all this testing center is 8 miles closer to my house and not in a ghetto.
  • saravanaboobathysaravanaboobathy Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Dont feel for anything......
    just say All izz well loudly... you feel better.....

its not a solution .. but it gives strength to you to find the solution...... Good luck....
    Took the test again today..... PASSED! This time i got 871 and I needed 825. So yea, I just did better on the Access List portion and passed :P. I did do worse on the WLAN part though icon_sad.gif, ohh well :P. At the end the the day I Passed.
  • CiskHoCiskHo Member Posts: 188
    At the end the the day I Passed.
    icon_thumright.gificon_thumright.gif Congrats!
    My Lab Gear:
    2811(+SW/POE/ABGwifi/DOCSIS) - 3560G-24-EI - 3550-12G - 3550POE - (2) 2950G-24 - 7206VXR - 2651XM - (2) 2611XM - 1760 - (2) CP-7940G - ESXi Server

Just Finished: RHCT (1/8/11) and CCNA:S (Fall 2010)
    Prepping For: VCP and CCNP SWITCH, ROUTE, TSHOOT
  • notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    Took the test again today..... PASSED! This time i got 871 and I needed 825. So yea, I just did better on the Access List portion and passed :P. I did do worse on the WLAN part though icon_sad.gif, ohh well :P. At the end the the day I Passed.

Congrats. What are your plans now?
    Well now that I have an Associates Degree, a CCNA certification and a few people asking for my resume, I'm going to start job hunting. This isn't the end of my plans for success though. I'm eventually going to get my bachelors. Maybe I'll start working on that this fall or maybe i'll wait a year. The school I want to go to, IIT, costs 70k for 2 years. I'm hoping that I can find an employer that will help me pay for that in return for me sticking with them for awhile.
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    well done on the pass !!!!
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
    PS: Thx for all the kind comments and words of encouragement.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    PASSED!
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif
    The school I want to go to, IIT, costs 70k for 2 years.
    Ah -- the GOOD one!! I think ITT came up with their name just so that people would confuse it with IIT.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    Well now that I have an Associates Degree, a CCNA certification and a few people asking for my resume, I'm going to start job hunting. This isn't the end of my plans for success though. I'm eventually going to get my bachelors. Maybe I'll start working on that this fall or maybe i'll wait a year. The school I want to go to, IIT, costs 70k for 2 years. I'm hoping that I can find an employer that will help me pay for that in return for me sticking with them for awhile.

Congrats on the pass, good luck with your future success. I told you this time around you would pass! I bet it felt really good when you seen that pass on the screen!!!! I know I was excited all my tests that I passed. Especially when I took the BSCI the 2nd time after failing it. All your hard work paid off. Hope everything works out good for you. I'm almost done my bachelors, got nine classes left, got my CCNA, and soon CCNP. I've found some stuff in this area, but nothing worth pursuing yet. I'm holding out till I get the CCNP and see what doors that opens.
  • Dilbert65Dilbert65 Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Dont feel bad about failing the 1st go around. I failed my first test but it I used it as a positive on the area's I was stuck at or I really had to think about on the test. My second go around I got a 950. So I gained almost 175 points on my second test.

Word of advise one you think you are ready for the test grab another learning resource and see if you know everything it has in it (IE Cisco, help topics here, and see review the answers to question and see if you have the answer you thought of. If not study some more.
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I bet it felt really good when you seen that pass on the screen!!!! .

I remember on me CCNA security I had to look away from the screen, take a breath glance, glance again cause I couldn't believe it, and then hold off jumping up and cheering. I actually did well, but when I clicked that last answer, I was sure I would be walking in to work the next day with a glum face. And they really should colour code it with green for a pass and red for a fail. Cause I swear it changed back and forth a few times before it registered ;)

I assume your degree is in computing? As long as its not in zoology like mine, that really is not the most helpful degree to have in the networking field :)
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • gouki2005gouki2005 Member Posts: 197
    well done ....which topic was the hardest in your first try??? and how much do you study for your second try??
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    I assume your degree is in computing? As long as its not in zoology like mine, that really is not the most helpful degree to have in the networking field :)

Yea I got my Associates in Computer and Internetworking Technologies (AAS).
    gouki2005 wrote:
    well done ....which topic was the hardest in your first try??? and how much do you study for your second try??

According to the print out, it was ACL's(0%) and implementation of IP addressing schemes(67%). But to be honest, I think I did poor on the ACL portion because I was in such a rush that I didn't absorb all the information provided to me in the questions. And the IP part, was probably due to my lack of IPv6 knowledge. I found the hardest thing to compete with the first go round was that I was only given 90 minutes to complete all question. So I was rushing through the test. The second time, I was more prepared in terms of what types of questions/simulations they ask you to complete.

As far as background of my preperation:

In 2007/2008 I took all my CCNA classes and passed them all with good grades but didn't take the CCNA test. I decided not to because studying for the CCNA while taking 16 credit hours would be a nightmare for me. So I put it off until graduation which for me was this December 2009. Keep in mind, I also studied CCNA material alot during the winter of 2008-2009. After graduation, I knew it was time to put my plan into motion. I started studying after a month off after graduation. Then up until just about 4 hours ago, I studied like it was my job. I'd spend entire days reading Cisco books, practicing on packet tracer and watching CBT nugget videos. The whole time taking very detailed notes. Some people might not need to study that hard but I knew that if i was going to have a decent shot at passing, I'd need to. I had faith that if i busted my ass studying nearly every day, I'd get what I wanted. When I failed the first time, dropping out of the race wasn't even conceivable. I just kept chugging along in my studies and brushing up on areas I didn't do as well in(IPv6, access lists).

Not to sound like I climbed Everest but my advice for anyone trying to get a CCNA is to just keep trying and learning. Nobody worth while is going to trash you for working hard to achieve a goal, even if you don't make it your first time.

(sorry for the essay :P )
  • DeathgomperDeathgomper Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've been watching your thread and a pass is a pass. CongratZ:D
  • ITjuniorITjunior Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats, you gave me a little hope passing this exam

I'm still studying and preparing for it and I'm planning to take it on May

any advice on how to finish my study and getting well prepared for the exam. I'm reading SYBEX, Todd Lammle and so far far I'm at chapter 7
  • saravanaboobathysaravanaboobathy Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    congratz buddy.... wat s the next plan?
  • abefromanabefroman Banned Posts: 278
    Are the total possible points 1000?
  • xcitonxciton Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    According to the print out, it was ACL's(0%) and implementation of IP addressing schemes(67%).

Wait a minute. You just barely failed the first time but you got 0% in the ACL section? You must have really excelled in the other areas. Not knocking you in any way, just an observation.
  • DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    xciton wrote: »
    Wait a minute. You just barely failed the first time but you got 0% in the ACL section? You must have really excelled in the other areas. Not knocking you in any way, just an observation.

Perhaps he only had a few questions on ACL's and missed them all?