GUI tools on exam

xcitonxciton Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Are there any GUI tools on the CCNA exam? Like the CNA or SDM?

Or can I just concentrate on the CLI for everything?

Comments

• tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    xciton wrote: »
    Are there any GUI tools on the CCNA exam? Like the CNA or SDM?

Or can I just concentrate on the CLI for everything?
    SDM and the CLI are on the exam. CNA isn't.
  • notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
  • tazdeviltazdevil Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ICND1 - Passed March 19/2010
    ICND2 - Passed April 8/2010
    tazdevil wrote: »

Wow CNA seems pretty cool. And at no cost too huh?

Hmm.....
    tazdevil wrote: »
    As the link says, it is Device :P
    Wow CNA seems pretty cool. And at no cost too huh?

Hmm.....
    SDM is EOL and CNA is the replacement. The exams however still use SDM.
  • fieldmonkeyfieldmonkey Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    tiersten wrote: »

Is it safe to assume there will be minimal questions or zero regarding SDM? I would think, if you know the CLI commands for configuring and given a set of options, it would seem obvious (almost) what the answer most likely would be regarding the SDM. If that is not an accurate statement, please correct me.

Since I am almost ready to book my exam, I'm becoming more conscientious of the objectives. SDM isn't cover much in the Cisco Press material and if it is EOL... it would seem logical to phase it out.

To date most of my lab experience has been on a simulator, and the hardware I do have seems to be incompatiable with SDM as it gives me a error when I load the browser. Thus, I just said screw it and stuck with the simulator.

2950T
    29xx
    WIP:
    Husband & Fatherhood Caitlin Grace born 8-26-2010

Future Certs:
    Q1-2011 - INCD2, Microsoft or Linux (decisions, decisions...)
    Is it safe to assume there will be minimal questions or zero regarding SDM? I would think, if you know the CLI commands for configuring and given a set of options, it would seem obvious (almost) what the answer most likely would be regarding the SDM. If that is not an accurate statement, please correct me.
    SDM is on the exam blueprint so it can appear in your exam. You don't need amazing indepth knowledge of SDM however. If you can configure it via the CLI and you have a general understanding of how SDM works then you'll be fine. What you don't want is to have to waste several minutes of your exam time looking around the various pages trying to find something.

You can download the SDM demo from the Cisco site or run it off a dynamips router.

I did not know that. Good stuff...what about ASDM?

I'm getting a little confused now with the SDM, ASDM and CNA's of the world!!

Since I am almost ready to book my exam, I'm becoming more conscientious of the objectives. SDM isn't cover much in the Cisco Press material and if it is EOL... it would seem logical to phase it out.

To date most of my lab experience has been on a simulator, and the hardware I do have seems to be incompatiable with SDM as it gives me a error when I load the browser. Thus, I just said screw it and stuck with the simulator.

2950T
    29xx

I'd have to agree with what you said. Others may not.

I barely played with SDM. I'm pretty sure my 1811 router supports it. It's either SDM or ASDM. It's nothing more than point and click.

I'd hope that they would favor the CLI side much more. My buddy who knows Cisco very well never touches the SDM stuff...
  • hexemhexem Member Posts: 177
    It's possible that you could get a question on it, if it's in the blue print on cisco's exam topics then it's fair game.

I don't think its something to worry about on the 840-802 exam.

it's like with ICND1 you're shown how to configure NAT within SDM (in most books) and then ICND2 is more about setting it up within CLI.
    ICND1 - Passed 25/01/10
    ICND2 - Passed 9/03/10

Studying CCNA:S
    I did not know that. Good stuff...what about ASDM?
    ASDM = Adaptive Security Device Manager

It is the web based GUI configuration tool for PIX/ASA firewalls.
    I barely played with SDM. I'm pretty sure my 1811 router supports it. It's either SDM or ASDM. It's nothing more than point and click.
    Your 1811 will support SDM.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□

I thought this CCP was the replacement to the SDM
    Cisco Configuration Professional - Products & Services - Cisco Systems

The CNA is used for switches
    Cisco Network Assistant - Products & Services - Cisco Systems

Still the SDM is on exams but play around with the SDM, CCP, and CNA.
  • CiskHoCiskHo Member Posts: 188
    Focus on the CLI but play a little with the apps as well.
    My Lab Gear:
    2811(+SW/POE/ABGwifi/DOCSIS) - 3560G-24-EI - 3550-12G - 3550POE - (2) 2950G-24 - 7206VXR - 2651XM - (2) 2611XM - 1760 - (2) CP-7940G - ESXi Server

Just Finished: RHCT (1/8/11) and CCNA:S (Fall 2010)
    Prepping For: VCP and CCNP SWITCH, ROUTE, TSHOOT
    knwminus wrote: »
    I thought this CCP was the replacement to the SDM
    Cisco Configuration Professional - Products & Services - Cisco Systems

The CNA is used for switches
    Cisco Network Assistant - Products & Services - Cisco Systems

Still the SDM is on exams but play around with the SDM, CCP, and CNA.
    Oops. Yeah. What knwminus said! My bad. In my defense, I'm on holiday :)
    ASDM = Adaptive Security Device Manager

It is the web based GUI configuration tool for PIX/ASA firewalls.

Your 1811 will support SDM.

Ok so is ASDM for PIX/ASA while SDM is for routers? Or can you have ASDM on routers too? What about L3 switches? Do they have any form of "SDM"?
  • hexemhexem Member Posts: 177
    ASDM is just for asa devices.

Layer 3 switches can be managed with the CNA
    ICND1 - Passed 25/01/10
    ICND2 - Passed 9/03/10

Studying CCNA:S
    hexem wrote: »
    ASDM is just for asa devices.

Layer 3 switches can be managed with the CNA

Ok so....

ASDM = Pix/ASA

SDM = routers

CNA = L3 switches

Did I miss anything?
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    CiskHo wrote: »
    Focus on the CLI but play a little with the apps as well.

For the CCNA this is true. For the CCNA Security you will need to work more indepth with the SDM.
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't think you need the SDM at all for the CCNA, although it can't hurt to know about it but you will never uses it.

Also the CCP is not a replacement for the SDM, it has simmler functions but it dose not support all of the same devices.

The CCNA is based on simple network concepts. Concentrate on CLI as this is what you are expected to know.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    I don't think you need the SDM at all for the CCNA, although it can't hurt to know about it but you will never uses it.
    Its on the exam blueprint.
    Its on the exam blueprint.

Oh...

Ok in that case open it up and play around, to be honest if you can do it at the CLI it will take you 30min or less to get your head round the SDM.

I don't think i even new about sdm when i did my CCNA last year.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • CiskHoCiskHo Member Posts: 188
    Same here. I still say KNOW the CLI and just be familiar with any other program mentioned (like SDM).
    My Lab Gear:
    2811(+SW/POE/ABGwifi/DOCSIS) - 3560G-24-EI - 3550-12G - 3550POE - (2) 2950G-24 - 7206VXR - 2651XM - (2) 2611XM - 1760 - (2) CP-7940G - ESXi Server

Just Finished: RHCT (1/8/11) and CCNA:S (Fall 2010)
    Prepping For: VCP and CCNP SWITCH, ROUTE, TSHOOT
    Ok in that case open it up and play around, to be honest if you can do it at the CLI it will take you 30min or less to get your head round the SDM.
    Pretty much.
    It is on the blueprint so it can show up. You just lucked out and didn't get a SDM question. Can't really say too much more since it will come under the exam agreements to not disclose information.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    to be honest if you can do it at the CLI it will take you 30min or less to get your head round the SDM.
    Yes, that true -- but you should make sure you don't spend those 30 minutes learning SDM during an exam SIM icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Yes, that true -- but you should make sure you don't spend those 30 minutes learning SDM during an exam SIM icon_lol.gif

Indeed!!! I would say the thing that most helped in my CCNA was not just knowing the topics, but really knowing my way around the IOS. not nesserly knowing what all the commands do (After all who really does know every single one). But knowing what kinds of commands to find where, and how to get from place to place.