Sncs

SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
Is anyone familiar with the SCP line of certifications, such as the SNCS or SNCP?

Comments

• GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    SephStorm wrote: »
    Is anyone familiar with the SCP line of certifications, such as the SNCS or SNCP?

Yes there is a thread in this section that explains the SCNS very well. I bought and read the book for it as well in January. It's very shallow good for a brief overview but you'll need other books if you really want to learn what's in there. After reading the book I wouldn't recommend it. There are far more certs out there that will further your career.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Search the forums here for "SCNA" and "SCNP" and you'll find the previous discussions about these certs.
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    yeah, i did a search before I posted, and got no results. strange.

edit, searched again, by thread and post and only got this thread.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Try searching SCNP and SCNS. I hope that's what you're looking for. A lot of results for them.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    turns out I was typing it in wrong.... SNCS instead of SCNS... wow. I remember now, seeing a recent review of someone's SCNS experience. Good info, GAngel, I was wondering if you would be interested in selling that SCNS book? Even if I don't take the cert, I like the idea of getting that step by step hands on experience with iptables, snort, wireshark, ect.
  • GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    turns out I was typing it in wrong.... SNCS instead of SCNS... wow. I remember now, seeing a recent review of someone's SCNS experience. Good info, GAngel, I was wondering if you would be interested in selling that SCNS book? Even if I don't take the cert, I like the idea of getting that step by step hands on experience with iptables, snort, wireshark, ect.

I have no use for the book but i'm in toronto so I don't know how much that would affect the actual cost.
  • Met44Met44 Member Posts: 194
    I like the idea of getting that step by step hands on experience with iptables, snort, wireshark, ect.

The Weaver book will be a bit disappointing in this regard. There are a whopping 4 pages devoted to iptables, and less than a dozen on working with Snort. These pages are actually not a bad overview for what little they cover. However, there is no value added over the excellent information you can get for these projects for free. Indeed, at least a few of the snort activities will instruct you to read documentation on the snort website, then use parts of it -- without further instruction. There isn't much on wireshark. And with any of these, the book won't take you too far beyond the installation process and a rudimentary understanding of what the tools do.

If you are interested in learning to use those utilities and understand why you're using them and what they're doing, I would recommend skipping the Weaver book, getting the docs and man pages from the respective project sites, and making your own labs. Also, many of the user contributed tutorials are wonderful additions, and great places to start, like Oskar Andreasson's iptables tutorial. Truly, this is the way most people pick these up, and you can use them to make an excellent start. However, if you wish to opt for a book now or later on, getting three separate books on Wireshark, Snort, and iptables would have a similar cost to the expensive Weaver book, and provide you with far more interesting information.

--
    Another, ah, quirk I just noticed out of this book while finding the snort and iptables sections... both of those topics are listed on the wrong pages in the table of contents. It seems several others are shifted around. Time to tuck it away behind some large book in the corner of the bookshelves...
    lol, thanks for the heads up. I had actually decided not to look at the Weaver book, but I assumed GAngel had the SCP materials. Ugh. Personally, I like classroom instruction, because If I am going step by step, it needs to have nearly every step for me. and you cant ask a book questions.

I thought about getting the CBT for SCNS, but I can't find a "preview" online, which I would much rather have before I purchase it. I don't know, right now this is a half formulated plan. What happens in June/July will really determine my certification future.