Options

Most efficient way to install security updates in a Domain?

fonestar1978fonestar1978 Banned Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I'm not sure I am clear on this topic. What is generally considered the best way to install security updates or just updates in general on a Domain? I am trying to make sense of several examples and different people's instructions.

Would it be to install a new template in a shared folder of a DC?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    OoteROoteR Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just use WSUS on a non-DC server, and set policies to different groups of machines to pull updates at different times... Using WSUS I can approve updates etc as they come in and apply when I want to.
    2k11 Goals:
    VCP - Currently Studying
    MCITP:EA - 620 (done)
  • Options
    rwwest7rwwest7 Member Posts: 300
    -Set up a WSUS server
    -Set a GPO to point all your domain clients to your WSUS server instead of the windows update website.
    -Done

After that the pain in the but is remembering to approve updates. Also you need to decide if you want to force a download and install, just download and notify, or just notify.
  • Options
    rwwest7rwwest7 Member Posts: 300
    Hi,

I'm not sure I am clear on this topic. What is generally considered the best way to install security updates or just updates in general on a Domain? I am trying to make sense of several examples and different people's instructions.

Would it be to install a new template in a shared folder of a DC?

Thanks!
    I think you're think of security templates. Are you talking about windows updates or configuring security? Either way Group Policy is your answer.
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    rwwest7 wrote: »
    I think you're think of security templates. Are you talking about windows updates or configuring security? Either way Group Policy is your answer.

Bingo. You can create group policy for either wsus or security templates.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    rwwest7 wrote: »
    -Set up a WSUS server
    -Set a GPO to point all your domain clients to your WSUS server instead of the windows update website.
    -Done

After that the pain in the but is remembering to approve updates. Also you need to decide if you want to force a download and install, just download and notify, or just notify.

I found it handy to set WSUS to email me whenever new updates were synchronized. That elminiated me checking it every couple of days (or forgetting altogether).