Options

Recommended tests to take for CCNP

CrunchyhippoCrunchyhippo Member Posts: 389
I'm looking to pursue the CCNP track, and I've noticed that a number of the tests are expiring. I won't be done with these tests until later in the year, I'm sure. With a number of them expiring, I'm wondering what's the best course for me to follow. I don't want to spend all my time studying for a test for it to expire before I'm ready to take it.
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Since you are just starting I'd go with the ROUTE - SWITCH - TSHOOT path rather than start on one of the older exams.

Good luck!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Unless you think you can finish the current tracks before they expire in July, you might as well do the current tracks. Since ROUTE and SWITCH are available now, I'd say study for those, and TSHOOT becomes a non-beta exam in a month
  • Options
    CrunchyhippoCrunchyhippo Member Posts: 389
    So what happens if you're on the track not requiring the TSHOOT exam (the old track), and you've passed the BSCI, BCMSN, and ISCW tests. You're just starting to study for the ONT test, but it's late July. You have no hope of passing this test before the July 31 deadline. According to Cisco, all four of these tests expire, and though you're only one test from obtaining your CCNP, now suddenly you're back at square one and have to start all over again - not to mention all that money out the window.

Surely this can't be right.
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    So what happens if you're on the track not requiring the TSHOOT exam (the old track), and you've passed the BSCI, BCMSN, and ISCW tests. You're just starting to study for the ONT test, but it's late July. You have no hope of passing this test before the July 31 deadline. According to Cisco, all four of these tests expire, and though you're only one test from obtaining your CCNP, now suddenly you're back at square one and have to start all over again - not to mention all that money out the window.

You don't start over, your previous tests are still valid. You will, however, need to complete TSHOOT to become a CCNP. So, your ISCW kind of goes out the window, aside from the knowledge you gained while studying for it at least.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024

As Colby mentioned, you'd need to pass TSHOOT instead of ONT. BSCI and BCMSN will substitute for ROUTE and SWITCH respectively for three years from the date of passage (which means that if you passed BSCI 18 months ago, it's only good for credit on the new CCNP for another 18 months).

If you can't finish by July, then passing ISCW is essentially throwing money away
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The Exam Certification Guides are out for the new exams -- and available as a "library" which may save you a few bucks.

The ROUTE Authorized self study book is scheduled for June.

The SWITCH Authorized self study book is scheduled for May

And only Troubleshooting and Maintaining Cisco IP Networks (TSHOOT) Foundation Learning Guide: Foundation learning for the CCNP TSHOOT 642-832 seems to be available now -- but it makes sense to take TSHOOT as the last exam.

You could start reading the Exam Certification Guides now, but you're probably going to want to wait for the Authorized Self Study books before you begin your serious study for the exams.

Maybe get Doyle Routing TCP/IP Volume 1 and read (and lab) that while you wait for the rest of the new CCNP books to be published.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!