Options

DVD drive failure

Fu LoserFu Loser Member Posts: 123
icon_confused.gif: My DVD drive is no longer working. Connections to the DVD drive appear to be fine but their seems to be no power supply running the the drive. The drive does not appear under "my computer". The dvd drive is hardly used so burning out I would not suspect to be a likely reason.

Anyone have any clues????

Comments

• Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Does the activity light flash when you power your system on? If so then some drives often become too slow in their internal self test and do not respond in time to power on self test (POST); pressing reset before the boot cycle starts will often pick it up. Having blank media in the drive during power on is a sure way to slow down drive ready.

If you have no activity light on power on then change the power connection, also look for a faulty ribbon cable.

Finally do not discount that you have had a drive go bad, it may have hit the statistical "infant mortality rate" lobe of the Mean time between failure bell curve. It happens, you may have been unlucky. It could have been anything from static zap during installation that weakened a component to a cold solder joint, to the wrong phase of the moon.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Short of it being a complete hardware failure.

Has anything changed on your system recently?
    Have your scanned for virus? malware? etc...?
    Run any updates just prior to your drive failing to work?
    Have you check to see if your driver is still functioning? Unistall and reinstall or look for updates.

Also, check in Device manager to be certain the device is Enabled as well as in your BIOS.

Otherwise, for a few dollars a new one may be a worthy investment.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Fu LoserFu Loser Member Posts: 123
    Ill try running some dates when the drive was working. No lights show at all on the drive at any point.

Ill check some of the suggestions I see posted thanks guys let you know what happens! :D