Options

Routing over prvt vlans

DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
I don't have the kit to mock this up at the moment, so I thought I would ask if this makes sense.

The issues is I want to run both Local VLANS and site wide vlans from my access/distribution switches. So the issue is how to keep the number of vlans down, the redundancy up, and have as few blocked links as possible over the routed paths. while still using RSTP for site wide Vlans..

(I wish you could up load better pictures, they always seem to lose quality when I try! )

Any way the basic idea is that Distribution switches have a vlan interface in an isolated prvt vlan. and the core switch has a vlan interface in the primary vlan.

Am I correct that if all the switches are running a routing protocol, that the next hop to get from a network connected to one distribution switch to a network connected to another. would be the IP of the core switch?

There is much more to the network than this, but I am scribbling ideas down on paper at the moment, and I just want to know if this would work, as it would make the design much simpler.

Cheers
  • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
  • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.

Comments

• Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Why did they not put prvt-vlans on to 3550's ??? would make mocking this up a lot easier.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    ConstantlyLearningConstantlyLearning Member Posts: 445
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    Why did they not put prvt-vlans on to 3550's ??? would make mocking this up a lot easier.

Oh how I wish they did!
    "There are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't"