MCSA: Security (A few n00bish queries)

MephitisMephitis Banned Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Greetings.

Just passed the 70-290 exam yesterday and working on completing my MCSA: Security. Been with desktop support for a couple of years now. I wanted to start working in the Windows Server 2003 environment, however, companies here require certifications to start off with. I've taken a break for completing the certifications and other academic stuff (first year - graduation). I know that it's not a good idea to just study and do labwork without experience but currently have no options left. I might work with desktop support till I get a chance to work on Windows Server 2003 after the first year exams.

That was a bit as far as my background is concerned. Been reading through a lot of posts by Keatron on the forum. Has really helped a lot with setting my targets right. I have always wanted to make a career in Security and hence did not want to go the plain MCSA way. Here is what I have decided:

70-270 (Completed)
70-290 (Completed)
70-291
70-299
CompTIA Security+

I have plans to first complete the 70-291 | 70-299 and then go for Security+. Please let me know if that would be a good idea. What I presume is Security+ is more generic, however, I may be incorrect. Would need some clarification on that.

My ultimate goal would be Information Security. One of Keatron's post says:

"I would say probably Sec+ (even if you do it self study).
Then MCSA:Sec
Then CEH
Then SSCP
At this point I'd suggest getting some Cisco in there. And you must start with CCNA, Then work

the CCSP route (will not be easy, but worth it).

By this time you should be very ready to start preparing for the CISSP."

Here's my question. Would it be good to start off with a CEH after MCSA: Security and simultaneously start studying a bit everyday from the CCNA courseware?

Would appreciate if you guys can assist me with the route I've decided on and the CCNA query. Any suggestions are most welcome.

Cheers.

PS: I'd request the Administrators/Moderators to move this thread to the appropriate section if it sounds way too generic.

Comments

• PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Keatron's advice is always rock solid, can't go wrong there. I would do the 291, 299, and Security+. You will need to have CompTIA transfer the Security+ credential to your MS transcript once you complete it, it usually takes a few days for this.
  • MephitisMephitis Banned Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Psoasman wrote: »
    Keatron's advice is always rock solid, can't go wrong there. I would do the 291, 299, and Security+. You will need to have CompTIA transfer the Security+ credential to your MS transcript once you complete it, it usually takes a few days for this.

Thanks!
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Psoasman wrote: »

Do you have the steps to do this? I was trying to do this months ago and couldn't find out how. I emailed Microsoft and then sent me 2 link which were to like the MCSE and the MCSA course line. Completely 0 help.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Mephitis wrote: »
    Greetings.

Hello :D

Just passed the 70-290 exam yesterday and working on completing my MCSA: Security.

Congratulations! icon_cheers.gif

I have plans to first complete the 70-291 | 70-299 and then go for Security+. Please let me know if that would be a good idea. What I presume is Security+ is more generic, however, I may be incorrect. Would need some clarification on that.

Security+ is a good foundation. It's nothing spectacular, but it's definitely recommended for people starting out in security.

I'd strongly encourage you to consider getting the full-blown MCSE:S. You're really going to be short-changing yourself by skipping out on 293 and 294. 299 will also be much more difficult since you won't get the PKI exposure in 293. Once you know the material for 299, you just need to take the 298 exam. There won't be anything new at that point.

The important thing is that you know that material. You certainly don't have to take the exams. However, if you've already put the work in, why not get the letters?

Here's my question. Would it be good to start off with a CEH after MCSA: Security and simultaneously start studying a bit everyday from the CCNA courseware?

Would appreciate if you guys can assist me with the route I've decided on and the CCNA query. Any suggestions are most welcome.

That path is a recommendation. While I don't think there's anything wrong with it, it's not set it stone either (nor should it be considered the only way to go about things). Sometimes you just need to follow your interests and mix your studies up.

Those were recommended in that order because they build on previous knowledge. However, if you skip one, that just means you'll need to put in a little more work on the next. If you ever go back to one, you'll probably have an easier time with it since you've already put some of the work in somewhere else. It'll all work out in the end ;)
    humble2007 wrote: »
    Do you have the steps to do this? I was trying to do this months ago and couldn't find out how. I emailed Microsoft and then sent me 2 link which were to like the MCSE and the MCSA course line. Completely 0 help.

There should be directions after you log in here: http://certify.comptia.org

I think you basically just have to email MS a transcript.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    email it to mcphelp@microsoft.com be sure to include your MS id number

The OP must be working on the Keatron six pack!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    Just wanted to let everyone know that dynamik and earweed are right.

All you have to do is email the link of your transcript to mcphelp@microsoft.com.

I don't know the exact requirements, but I gave them my name, MCP ID, and CompTIA ID along with the link just to make sure everything worked out. Took about a day to get it done.
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Heh. I think you are on the right track... I am going to be all over the place with my certs. I did my original MCSE over eight years ago, and recently did CCNA and CISSP. I am now hoping to start WGU's MSISA soon and will be doing CEH after that... but I am looking to finish updating my MCSE and do both the Security and Messaging specializations...

Best wishes on your endeavors (I don't wish luck... no sense in being superstitious... and luck is a four letter word).
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
    Furthermore, for your route, if you plan to advance to CCSP, you will need to go this route:

CCNA (1 or 2 exams depending)
    CCNA:Security (1 exam)
    CCSP (4 exams)

Also, Cisco exams require that you recertify. Currently, there is no means to do continuing education to maintain the certs, so you have to either retake the exams for the certification, or pass an exam for the next level certification within 3 years.

So, if you want to time it out, get your CCNA done, and then get your CCNA:Security done within three years of that, and follow on with CCSP. Once your hit CCSP, the CCIE written exam will renew your CCSP.

So, to answer your other question, go ahead and do the CCNA after you knock out your MCSA:Security, or move to MCSE:Security.
  • brewdbrewd Member Posts: 56 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Most are probably already aware of this, but CompTIA has changed their lifetime certification policy, begining Jan 1, 2011, for the A+, Network+ and Security+ certifications (see: CompTIA Certification Renewal Policy).

It's been awhile since Mephitis started this post, but if you haven't already gotten your Security+ cert, I'd recommed going for that first as if you wait until 2011 you'll have no choice but to continually update the certification via the Continuing Education program or by recertifying every 3 years.

I actually contacted the MCP helpdesk to get the official MS policy on how to forward the Security+ cert info to them. They stated that it isn't enough to simply email them, you need to email them an official CompTIA transcript through the CompTIA website. Here's the procedure they emailed me and that I used to send them my CompTIA transcript:
    You may forward your certification(s) to Microsoft using the transcript feature in CompTIA?s new database. To access this feature, you must login at https://certmetrics.com/comptia/login.aspx . Once logged into your record, select create new transcript from the transcripts tab. In the remarks field, you need to enter your MCP ID. Once you confirm the transcript, you will be sent to the home page where you need to enter MCPHelp@microsoft.com email address. Clicking submit will forward your information to Microsoft.
    brewd wrote: »
    Quote:
    You may forward your certification(s) to Microsoft using the transcript feature in CompTIA?s new database. To access this feature, you must login at https://certmetrics.com/comptia/login.aspx . Once logged into your record, select create new transcript from the transcripts tab. In the remarks field, you need to enter your MCP ID. Once you confirm the transcript, you will be sent to the home page where you need to enter MCPHelp@microsoft.com email address. Clicking submit will forward your information to Microsoft.

That is how it is done. Takes them about 2 days to process it. I contacted them several months ago to get my A+ and Net+ on, and then again just a few days ago for Security+. I however created my own email and sent to them. I also included my Comptia id (which is on the transcript) and my MCP id.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    powerfool wrote: »
    Also, Cisco exams require that you recertify. Currently, there is no means to do continuing education to maintain the certs, so you have to either retake the exams for the certification, or pass an exam for the next level certification within 3 years.

Any pro exam will renew you cert, not just the CCIE written

Cisco professional level certifications (CCNP, CCNP Wireless, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, and CCIP) are valid for three years. To recertify, pass any 642 exam that is part of the professional level curriculum or any CCIE/CCDE written exam before the certification expiration date.
    Achieving or recertifying any of the certifications above automatically extends your active Associate and Professional level certification(s) up to the point of expiration of the last certification achieved. For more information, access the Cisco About Recertification page.
    Ah, I wonder if that is new. I guess that is why so many folks are holding all of these Cisco professional certs... you get one, and you have to keep testing just to keep the one you have.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    powerfool wrote: »
    Ah, I wonder if that is new. I guess that is why so many folks are holding all of these Cisco professional certs... you get one, and you have to keep testing just to keep the one you have.

I think it has been around forever. But there are some people that just go CCNA>CCNP>CCIE and some that just go CCNA>CCDA>CCNP>CCDP>CCIE. I think it is more of a "new school" thing to grab more than one or two pro levels.