Tinkering of taking Linux +

BroadcastStormBroadcastStorm Member Posts: 496
I have very little if not no experience at all with Linux/Unix, and reading the requirements of 6 to 12 months of experience, now I have 5 years of experience administering Windows and Cisco networks, I also possess MCSE 2003, do you think this still applies to me?

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have very little if not no experience at all with Linux/Unix, and reading the requirements of 6 to 12 months of experience, now I have 5 years of experience administering Windows and Cisco networks, I also possess MCSE 2003, do you think this still applies to me?
    Probably not. I would get study books (as I've got) which work better for explaining Linux to a windows user. In in your situation (kind of, studying for MCITP:EA)
    For the client side I'm reading
    Moving from Windows to Linux, Second Edition by Chuck Easttom and Bryan Hoff Cengage Charles River Media © 2004
    This book is written for the Windows user
    and for the server side I'm reading
    Linux Administration A beginner's Guide 5th ed.
    This book assumes you've got Windows administrative experience and none with Linux. This book is, by far, the better written and more useful of the two.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • BroadcastStormBroadcastStorm Member Posts: 496
    Thanks for the advise, I've started watching cbt videos and loaded Ubuntu, the shell runs without a hitch so far so good, I'm not having any issue understanding anything.
  • BroadcastStormBroadcastStorm Member Posts: 496
    Anyone out there selling a voucher for Comptia Linux + I am hunting for some deals, or if you know how I'll be able to save for this exam.

Thanks!!!
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Thanks for the advise, I've started watching cbt videos and loaded Ubuntu, the shell runs without a hitch so far so good, I'm not having any issue understanding anything.
    Did same here except on a VM, seems to be working fine. I'm just not a Command line person so I'm trying to learn some of that.
    Installed Fedora Server on an old computer and it seems to do fine also. Even coexists on my windows domain with Server 2k8 without any real issues. My Linux+ studies are on backburner for now as I have to concentrate on MCITP:EA studies.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.