Wow.. Stupid Beast.

OoteROoteR Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
Holy crap!

I didn't study nearly enough for this (seriously, like 10 hours instead of the 40/80 i wanted to) and got.....

700!

I'll take it!

I've got the 293 book, but I think i'll do the A+ in a week or two and study for a vista/7 exam for the MCSA before finishing the MCSE.
2k11 Goals:
VCP - Currently Studying
MCITP:EA - 620 (done)

Comments

• chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    why would you waist your time with the A+? it wont do anything for your career at this point, your half ways done with your Microsoft certs. I dont see any use for the A+ unless you have a personal passion or goal with the A+. I would jump into the Security+ while you study for your next Microsoft product. I am studying an ASA book and for my CCDA exam, im sure you can knock out security plus and a microsoft exam with ease icon_study.gificon_thumright.gif
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • OoteROoteR Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    chrisone wrote: »
    why would you waist your time with the A+? it wont do anything for your career at this point, your half ways done with your Microsoft certs. I dont see any use for the A+ unless you have a personal passion or goal with the A+. I would jump into the Security+ while you study for your next Microsoft product. I am studying an ASA book and for my CCDA exam, im sure you can knock out security plus and a microsoft exam with ease icon_study.gificon_thumright.gif

I know, it seems crazy, but I'm helping some kids learn the A+ at a local high school. So i've got the book sitting there, and have been helping them work their way through it.

I should be able to basically schedule both and sit them in an hour or so.

I'm thinking of doing the 70-620 and be done with MCSA. Then work on transitioning the MCSA up to a MCITP:EA eventually.

I'll make it a goal for later in the year to the Security+ for sure, but not initially.

Now, i'm asking honestly, does that seem sensible or crazy?

I've got the book for the 293, but I don't think i'll be trying to find any work doing fresh 2k3 installs/domains, I want to get into the 2k8 track asap without totally wasting my 2k3 training. The MCSE seems like a bit of a waste.
    2k11 Goals:
    VCP - Currently Studying
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Im not much of a microsoft guy, but it doesnt sound crazy to start on your 2008 path. If possible knock out that A+ within a month, that is only going to be a thorn on your side. I would recommend having more time to study for the microsoft stuff now, seeing that your pursuing tougher certs. I think your goals are difinitely achievable by the end of this year for sure. Just organize your time and set your monthly goals, you should have this complete by no time!
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
    Im not much of a microsoft guy, but it doesnt sound crazy to start on your 2008 path. If possible knock out that A+ within a month, that is only going to be a thorn on your side. I would recommend having more time to study for the microsoft stuff now, seeing that your pursuing tougher certs. I think your goals are difinitely achievable by the end of this year for sure. Just organize your time and set your monthly goals, you should have this complete by no time!

The hard part to swallow is that it's 300 bones for the A+. Wow. It should be like $150 total.

I could take the A+ next week if i wanted, i'm not worried about not passing it, I've been desktop/server support/admin since 2005. The A+ test is a breeze, the price annoys me though.

I just ordered the 70-620 which after the A+ I'll have the MCSA. Then I can do the 648 and 646 for the MCITP:Server Admin cert.. Add one or two more and its the enterprise admin..

So i guesss it looks like:

A+ > 620 (MCSA) > 648 (MCTSx2) > 646 (MCITP:SA) > couple more (MCITP:EA)

So 4 tests (2 of which should be pretty easy and done in a month) and i'll have the MCITP:SA.

Not to shabby. But about $550 in tests + 4 books min. Blech!
    2k11 Goals:
    VCP - Currently Studying
  • Devin McCloudDevin McCloud Member Posts: 133
    I do agree the A+ and Net+ are overpriced, but you should have taken those tests first. A+ certs are hardware, MCSE is software related. I wouldn't want someone with little hardware knowledge running my servers, let alone opening them up.
    The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either.
  • kenny831kenny831 Member Posts: 266

When I was taking a CCNA class, there was a classmate that was there getting back up to speed after being out of work for a couple of years because of an injury. He told us at one point that he when he had an active CCNA cert and experience in the field he had applied for a position working with Cisco equipment. The HR person asked him if he had A+. He told the person that he did not, but had CCNA. The HR person told him that without A+, he did not qualify. Sometimes A+ might get you past the people in HR...

Oh yeah,

Congrats Ooter
    I do agree the A+ and Net+ are overpriced, but you should have taken those tests first. A+ certs are hardware, MCSE is software related. I wouldn't want someone with little hardware knowledge running my servers, let alone opening them up.

I have close to 5 years of experience with hardware, and a Bachelor's in Computer Science, I skipped the A+ because frankly, it seemed silly to take it.. Like a big waste of $.
    2k11 Goals:
    VCP - Currently Studying
  • Super99Super99 Member Posts: 274
    Nice job and congrats.
  • thatguy85thatguy85 Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Let me get this straight. You studied for 10 hours and passed?

Wow. I feel like a moron for having to study for a few months... lol.
    thatguy85 wrote: »
    Let me get this straight. You studied for 10 hours and passed?

Wow. I feel like a moron for having to study for a few months... lol.

MAYBE 10 hours, I'm not sure it was that much.

It was pretty lucky, I really went in to take it and figure out what I needed to work on (thanks second shot) and ended up passing.

I use it every day, and have setup DNS/Forwarding and some RRAS/WSUS stuff on my own at work.

But yeah, I'm .. sorry.
    2k11 Goals:
    VCP - Currently Studying