CISSP & Network administration

dlmfriscodlmfrisco Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am an 18yr Network Admin/Infrastructure Manager. I have written policy after policy, I have been responsible for all aspects of network security and physical security at a few places. I have created and implemented multiple DR procedures, basically I have done it all in the IT infrastructure world.

I have also been the project manager of two separate efforts to bring two companies to be SOX compliance, not to mention all the HIPAA regulations that have been thrown my way.

I have been asked by the CIO to become the IT Security Admin/Officer.

I was going to start with the CISSP I have already taken a CISSP boot camp, but I did not take the exam because quite frankly I am a poor test taker but also this was a new way at looking at some of the information.

Without posting my full resume, do I have enough experience to gain the CISSP? I think that I do, except my experience has not been dedicated to security, but security always played a main role in my career.

Any help/suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• brocbroc Member Posts: 167
    Well, for the CISSP you need 5 years experience (or 4 years with a degree but I'm going to guess you don't have one being 18 ), it all depends when you start gaining all this experience you are talking about.

I don't want to be rude or anything, but how can you say "I've done it all in the IT infrastructure world" when you are only 18???? Did you start when you were 8?
    "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.”
  • aethereosaethereos Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    broc wrote: »
    I don't want to be rude or anything, but how can you say "I've done it all in the IT infrastructure world" when you are only 18???? Did you start when you were 8?

I had to re-read that one too, though I think he meant he has 18 years of professional experience.

That said, I think the OP more than met the minimum requirement with his background in at least 3-4 domains of the CISSP. I'd say go for it, and when you pass someone else will thank you for opening up a job in today's economy.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Yes, you have more than the minimum necessary professional work experience in InfoSec for the CISSP certification. In fact, with your management experience, you should have a look at the CISM InfoSec management certification from ISACA as well.
  • dlmfriscodlmfrisco Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sorry about that. I meant I have 18yrs of experience...

thanks for the feedback, I am starting my study process today with the hopes of taking the test in 6mths.

I will also check out the other certs as well.
  • brocbroc Member Posts: 167
    dlmfrisco wrote: »
    Sorry about that. I meant I have 18yrs of experience...

I thought that might be the case :)

Good luck on pursuing the CISSP, it shouldn't be a problem for someone with that much experience. I'm planning to take the test sometimes next year myself.
    "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.”