Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    jahsoul wrote: »
    How is that administered? My mentor is out of town so I'm just here with my EWB finished. *shrug*

I think we just click "schedule assesment" in the AAP and it opens up.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    chmorin wrote: »
    I will be doing Network Administration. I wish I had found WGU sooner, It would have saved me thousands of dollars.
    Don't forget, any WGU student can refer you and save you the application fee. Bonus for whoever refers you they get a $50 amazon gift card (limit 1 gift card per year, no limit on number of referrals)
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    and i'd be happy to refer you :D
    Suddenly i'm reminded of why I hate math so much. icon_sad.gif

I don't wanna do the EWB english assesment icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Hyper-Me wrote: »

It only takes a moment to remember that =p
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
    Say after me "Math is my friend" and try to believe it.icon_wink.gif
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't wanna do the EWB english assesment icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

I hate the English Assessments but im glad im about to finish my last one.
  • cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294

Mathtutordvd.com You can thank me later.
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre

Veritas called me a sissy and then told me the assessment was questions rather than an essay. So i took it in 15 minutes and passed. icon_lol.gif
    Veritas called me a sissy and then told me the assessment was questions rather than an essay. So i took it in 15 minutes and passed. icon_lol.gif
    Your english comp class has you write an essay for the test. At the testing center, proctored. So you need to get comfortable with writing.
  • cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    I can write essays just fine. It's just that I hate doing it.

I also hate math, but im actually bad at math, so i doubly hate it. icon_lol.gif

I'm in the same boat. I hate it and have never been "great" at it myself. The videos from mathtutordvd.com got me through it though. I have a hard time learning math from a book. The videos of the guy working problems on the whiteboard and talking through them is exactly what I needed. If you find the books/learning resources aren't cutting it, I recommend you at least check out his demo videos and take it from there.
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre
  • fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360

I hate english... icon_sad.gif

On the bright side I have improved a lot over the past year, and even more so this semester with a History and Psyc class... This 15 week long semester has included...:

History-
    15 papers (2 to 3 pages each)
    12 online discussions

Psyc-
    4 papers (7 to 10 pages each)
    3 papers (1000 words each)
    4 exams (75 questions each)
    6 online discussions

CCNP :study:
    My issue with math is that most of it is irrelevent. I realize that math is the basis of everything, but the way the world is connected today there are calculators and programs to figure out anything I need. I don't manually do the calculations for Exchange, I use the exchange mailbox size calculators, etc.

It might be considered wise to know it, but i've extremely rarely used more than basci math in my professional career and I think going to such extreme levels with it in college is nothing more than a time filler.

English, on the other hand, can provide needed skills in a variety of ways; namely resumes, documentation, RFPs, proposals, technical instruction or technical journalism. Or even writing a quippy resignation letter.

Sorry, but I dont care who Pathagorus is, nor that he came up with some BS about how to measure triangles.
    You may not consider math important but it is part of why WGU is accreditted. So the math makes your degree more valuable.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Oh, yay! My thread is turning into rants.... icon_sad.gif

Come on guys, this thread is suppose to be a Question and Answer thread... icon_rolleyes.gif
    Well, just got done with the CIW v5 Foundations exam. I have to admit that I was surprised by how broad this exam is. It covers Networking, Web Programming, some command line FTP, etc. If this passing score wasn't as low as it is I am not sure I would have passed. Mainly because I don't know web programming, and I didn't feel like learning it...
    Well, just got done with the CIW v5 Foundations exam. I have to admit that I was surprised by how broad this exam is. It covers Networking, Web Programming, some command line FTP, etc. If this passing score wasn't as low as it is I am not sure I would have passed. Mainly because I don't know web programming, and I didn't feel like learning it...

Yeah I just took a practice exam for it and the results were....not what I expected.

It seems that CIW is one of those companies that likes to invent buzzwords and pretend that they were actually mainstream at any point in their existence. Which means if you dont read their literature and get the vocabulary down then its a guessing game.
    Yeah I just took a practice exam for it and the results were....not what I expected.

It seems that CIW is one of those companies that likes to invent buzzwords and pretend that they were actually mainstream at any point in their existence. Which means if you dont read their literature and get the vocabulary down then its a guessing game.

WGU will ship you a stack of five books for the exam, and give multiple videos that you can watch. I just suggest looking over the Site Development Foundations book, and watching the videos related to that. The rest you should already know having taken tests related to subnetting, etc. Yes I actually got a question related that, who would have imagined???
    WGU will ship you a stack of five books for the exam, and give multiple videos that you can watch. I just suggest looking over the Site Development Foundations book, and watching the videos related to that. The rest you should already know having taken tests related to subnetting, etc. Yes I actually got a question related that, who would have imagined???

A lot of the questions on the practice test I found were about encryption keys and other security topics. I was like "WTF is this? Security+?"
    A lot of the questions on the practice test I found were about encryption keys and other security topics. I was like "WTF is this? Security+?"

I was surprised as well. It's like a mix of Security+, and Network+.
    Oh, yay! My thread is turning into rants.... icon_sad.gif

Come on guys, this thread is suppose to be a Question and Answer thread... icon_rolleyes.gif

Sorry. I just get really mad everytime I think about paying somebody 3000$ for 6 months of me doing math and english homework. icon_lol.gif
    Told you before, The course is a mile wide and an inch thick. You need to know CIW's terminology for things.
    The same goes for the JavaScript course. If you read the book twice (not the minutae of every program) and do tutorial on w3cschools.com you'll pass. That was a programming class yet the exam only had 2 raelly easy programming examples which asked what was wrong. The rest was knowing history of JavaScript and definitions.
    To Hyper-me: When you take Javascript don't bother watching learnkey video's or actually doing the programming, look at the answer files for each program and understand what can cause the script to not work.

I scored in the 30's when I took the preassessment. It's very broad.
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Oh I get all that.

The fact is the world is evolving into a place where the traditional style of teaching and the topics taught are becoming less relevant to the actual workplace and therefore worth less and less as time progresses.

True, but that's partly why WGU exists.
    What is needed are programs that go indepth into the actual field and let you emerge as something of an expert. Make it hard. Don't make it easy or allow make up credits just because you want all those people on Pell Grants and Financial Aid to keep tuition payments coming. Make it challenging and worthwhile so the entire country can benefit from a very qualified work force. Bring the US back into the spotlight of innovation in the world.

Again, why we have WGU. Didn't they tell you all this in EWOB? :)

:: ducking ::

I will allow that advanced math is more important to programming than it is to networking or other IT professions. But I have to say-- some of it will come in handy when you least expect it. If you end up in management, you might find that you need to measure work areas, work spaces, or plain old rooms for certain tasks and be able to calculate area given certain obstacles. You might find systems of linear equations helpful for taking two unlikely, seemingly non-matching criteria and calculate them together to measure output. There's a use for college algebra, even if you hate it. Which I do.

Disclaimer-- I'm putting college algebra aside after multiple tries at it at other schools. I still respect the value of it.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • StarkeStarke Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have two questions. Will they accept older versions of certifications or does it have to be the newer versions? For example I received my A+ in 1998 and Network+ in 1999. Anyone in the NorthEast on these forums pursuing a WGU degree? Thanks.
    MCSA: Windows Server 2012 - MCITP (SA, EA, EMA) - CCA (XD4, XD5, XS5, XS6) - VCP 4
  • qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Starke wrote: »
    I have two questions. Will they accept older versions of certifications or does it have to be the newer versions? For example I received my A+ in 1998 and Network+ in 1999. Anyone in the NorthEast on these forums pursuing a WGU degree? Thanks.

I'm a WGU student and am from the NorthEast. WGU only accepts the certs if they were done in the past 5 years
    Starke wrote: »

I believe they have to have been earned in the past 3 years to count for a transfer.
  • mbarrambarra Member Posts: 44 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A+ and Network+ need to be the new versions to count. Look into the bridge exams I have had both in the past 3 yrs and need to retake both. If they take the bridge exam to make you current saves 3 classes.
    His MCITP:EA will cover those.

MCITP:EA satisfies A+ and Net+
  • StarkeStarke Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the responses guys. Qwerty do you think this degree will still be respected in our neck of the woods? I definitely like this style of learning as it seems very logical. Thanks again.
    MCSA: Windows Server 2012 - MCITP (SA, EA, EMA) - CCA (XD4, XD5, XS5, XS6) - VCP 4