Quick GNS3 Question - Frame Relay Switch?

redwarriorredwarrior Member Posts: 285
Hey Guys!

I'm trying to set up a quick little frame-relay network in order to practice OSPF in a NBMA network. The problem is that I can't seem to get any connectivity between my routers and the built-in frame relay switch. For one thing, are my routers the source or destination as far as the DLCI's shown in the frame-relay switch configuration in GNS3? For another, do we know what LMI type and encapsulation the frame relay switch is using? (Cisco vs. ietf?)

I have read some posts elsewhere saying that it's best to skip the built-in frame-relay switch and simply configure a router as your frame-relay switch, but I'm not that familiar with a provider-side frame configuration. Would I configure as usual, just set my frame-relay switch router as the DCE rather than the DTE?

Meh. I guess I gotta learn more about frame-relay before I get to play more with OSPF...

CCNP Progress

ONT, ISCW, BCMSN - DONE

BSCI - In Progress

http://www.redwarriornet.com/ <--My Cisco Blog

Comments

• kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    for the DTE end it will auto-detect LMI type and once that happens you will know what DLCI the switch is sending to you. All you need to do on the DTE end is encap frame relay. Here is a sample config for an interface on a FR switch. The DTE end connected to this interface will get DLCI 102-105

interface Serial0
    no ip address
    encapsulation frame-relay
    clockrate 64000
    frame-relay intf-type dce
    frame-relay route 102 interface Serial1 201
    frame-relay route 103 interface Serial2 301
    frame-relay route 104 interface Serial4 401
    frame-relay route 105 interface Serial5 501
    no shut
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew
  • redwarriorredwarrior Member Posts: 285
    Hey Kryolla! I just saw this response. Thank you and I will try this out this weekend! :D

CCNP Progress

ONT, ISCW, BCMSN - DONE

BSCI - In Progress

http://www.redwarriornet.com/ <--My Cisco Blog
  • SysAdmin4066SysAdmin4066 Member Posts: 443
    I just used the router as Frame Relay switch approach. That was much easier than using that built in switch for me. Plus, it's better real lab practice, because most people are using 2520s as FR switches. If you want I can send you a full walkthrough with frame relay config and peripheral routers configs with either sub-interfaces or non sub-interface.
    In Progress: CCIE R&S Written Scheduled July 17th (Tentative)

Next Up: CCIE R&S Lab
  • misan123misan123 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just used the router as Frame Relay switch approach. That was much easier than using that built in switch for me. Plus, it's better real lab practice, because most people are using 2520s as FR switches. If you want I can send you a full walkthrough with frame relay config and peripheral routers configs with either sub-interfaces or non sub-interface.

Please send me a full walkthrough with frame relay config and peripheral routers configs with either sub-interfaces or non sub-interface.