Linux+ in the coming months

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    COMPTia reversed themselves and any certs earned before end of 2010 will be lifetime.
    I'm taking my Sec+ tomorrow and have MCTS 70-640,642 in coming months. Planning to start learning Linux. Used it a very little back in late 90's. I had origionally experimented on unix back in the 80's and am totally out of my element with LINUX.
    Which VM is better for installing different versions of LINUX? I would think it'd be Virtualbox. I used that a lot studying for my MCTS:70-620. I'm currently mostly using VMWare workstation studying for the 640,642.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    earweed wrote: »
    Which VM is better for installing different versions of LINUX? I would think it'd be Virtualbox.
    VirtualBox will work fine for studying Linux+.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    VirtualBox will work fine for studying Linux+.

I 2nd this. I actual use physical machines and virtual box but virtual box would be enough. I need to get back on this but I have been pretty busy with my job search. I do plan to get this done soon however.
  • nogamblenogamble Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Found an incomplete linux+ site. Great glossary Here2Serve
    I'm using Syngress xko-003 by Brian Barber
  • phuongtim59phuongtim59 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would be interested. I don't have a real need for the Linux+ at work right now but I did take the beta and only failed by less than 90 points. A good study period would probably improve that. Wouldn't hurt to have the certification I guess.
    I accept with information: This should be way more than enough to get me through the Linux+ and set a good foundation for the RHCT, SCSA, LPIC and beyond. Hopefully by then there will be some stuff out for the new L+.
  • CoolhandlukeCoolhandluke Member Posts: 118
    Just been to the Comptia site and they have delayed the XK0-003 for at least another month. End of April now. icon_sad.gif
    [CCENT]->[CCNA]->[CCNP-ROUTE]->COLOR=#0000ff]CCNP SWITCH[/COLOR->[CCNP-TSHOOT]
  • varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    And here's probably why: an announcement about an agreement between LPI and CompTIA.

"Under this program, CompTIA will adopt LPI's Level One certification
    exams (LPIC-1) for its CompTIA Linux+ certification. This innovative
    program will enable successful candidates to earn both the new "CompTIA
    Linux+ Powered by LPI" certification and the existing LPIC-1 certification
    ."

and then some:

"Under the terms of the agreement CompTIA will adopt LPIC-1 exams
    (LPI-101 and LPI-102) for the new CompTIA Linux + Powered by LPI
    certification. CompTIA LX0-101 and LX0-102 exams will be offered at the
    same price as LPIC-1 exams. Consequently, those passing the CompTIA
    Linux+ powered by LPI exams will qualify for both the CompTIA Linux+
    Powered by LPI certification and the LPIC-1 certification.

The new CompTIA Linux+ Powered by LPI certification will not be
    available in Japan. The current CompTIA Linux+ exam will retire in Japan
    on April 30, 2010.

More information about acquiring dual certification status can be
    obtained by contacting LPI at comptia@lpi.org and at CompTIA at
    linuxplus@comptia.org
    "

From the LPI mailing list.
    It boils down to tearing Linux+ in two parts, just like LPI exams and to passing Linux+ = getting LPIC-1 as well. CompTIA evidently chops Linux+ off of its cert list. Why going for the surrogate ("Powered by LPI") when you can go for the original? What would be the motivation? Available vendor- certified prep literature maybe? But will CompTIA finally release its new Linux+ guide?
    varelg wrote: »
    And here's probably why: an announcement about an agreement between LPI and CompTIA.

"Under this program, CompTIA will adopt LPI's Level One certification
    exams (LPIC-1) for its CompTIA Linux+ certification. This innovative
    program will enable successful candidates to earn both the new "CompTIA
    Linux+ Powered by LPI" certification and the existing LPIC-1 certification."

and then some:

"Under the terms of the agreement CompTIA will adopt LPIC-1 exams
    (LPI-101 and LPI-102) for the new CompTIA Linux + Powered by LPI
    certification. CompTIA LX0-101 and LX0-102 exams will be offered at the
    same price as LPIC-1 exams. Consequently, those passing the CompTIA
    Linux+ powered by LPI exams will qualify for both the CompTIA Linux+
    Powered by LPI certification and the LPIC-1 certification.

The new CompTIA Linux+ Powered by LPI certification will not be
    available in Japan. The current CompTIA Linux+ exam will retire in Japan
    on April 30, 2010.

More information about acquiring dual certification status can be
    obtained by contacting LPI at comptia@lpi.org and at CompTIA at
    linuxplus@comptia.org"

From the LPI mailing list.
    It boils down to tearing Linux+ in two parts, just like LPI exams and to passing Linux+ = getting LPIC-1 as well. CompTIA evidently chops Linux+ off of its cert list. Why going for the surrogate ("Powered by LPI") when you can go for the original? What would be the motivation? Available vendor- certified prep literature maybe? But will CompTIA finally release its new Linux+ guide?

So does this mean If I pass my LPIC-1 (as it stands now) would I earn the L+? For current holders of the LPIC-1 would this be retroactive? This is pretty neat though, and hopefully this furthers the popularity of the LPIC exams.
    I don't think it works that way, it seems that (as it is explained, but you may further your inquiries by mailing your questions to the emails shown) you'll have to pass either the new two-part Linux+ exam or the two-part LPI exam to win LPI-1. By going the Linux+ path, you'll get both LPIC-1 and Linux+. It is unclear if you can get Novell's CLA once you get LPIC-1 via Linux+ though. In that case, Linux+ is a better bargain than the original (haaah!)since you'll get 3 in 1...
    Current Linux+ holders? Oh heavens, I can understand the rage...
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    This is sweet! I can't wait to get the official study guide, but I won't be surprised if CompTIA changed the release date again. I recently bought Linux Administration: A Beginner's Guide 5th Edition book written by Wale Soyinka. Gonna crack it when my summer break begins. I'm still not getting how their merger systems work, but hopefully they will clear it up more later for us. Who's down for CompTIA LX0-101 and LX0-102 too?
    This is sweet! I can't wait to get the official study guide, but I won't be surprised if CompTIA changed the release date again. I recently bought Linux Administration: A Beginner's Guide 5th Edition book written by Wale Soyinka. Gonna crack it when my summer break begins. I'm still not getting how their merger systems work, but hopefully they will clear it up more later for us. Who's down for CompTIA LX0-101 and LX0-102 too?

Depending on if my current situation changes (hoping it does) I will probably go for this as well. I need to get a linux cert to get out of a few classes for my degree so I will have to do at some point. The sooner the better.
    This is getting complicated. I wonder how it affects people who passed the Linux+ 2009 beta (XK1-003). Hopefully I get credit for LPIC-1 and the CLA! icon_lol.gif
    MentholMoose
  • Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am not Linux+ so please accept my recommendations with a grain of salt.

Download Sun Virtual Box.
    Download an ISO of Ubuntu, Fedora and OpenSUSE use these to help prepare you for your test.

Good books to help you include anything by Mike Myers. Often Sybex books are hit or miss with Comptia certifications, I cannot speak to the Linux+. Linux Administrator Handbook (2nd Edition) which I use everyday at work. Linux cookbook for explinations for required commands and material within the OS.

Understanding the concepts of Linux should allow you to at the very least muddle through the test. Anything beyond that, look at specific study material for the certification version.

For some final information look here for a concise man page online: Linux Command Directory: Index
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
    Chris:/* wrote: »

For some final information look here for a concise man page online: Linux Command Directory: Index

Good find on this. I planned to use centos and ubuntu server for my studies. I already use ubuntu as my main server os and I want to move from WinVista to Ubuntu as my main laptop os.
  • Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    knwminus wrote: »
    Good find on this. I planned to use centos and ubuntu server for my studies. I already use ubuntu as my main server os and I want to move from WinVista to Ubuntu as my main laptop os.

That is a good idea because the only way to learn the system is to use it. I strongly recommend using Fedora over Ubuntu. Not because Fedora is better but because is the prototype OS for Red Hat Enterprise, it is also known as a the client version of RHEL (even though this is not really true). The only reason people call it the client version is because it has more options and drivers packaged with it.

Remember RHEL holds more of the corporate Linux community in the world. Besides it could help you work towards RHCT/RHCE later on. icon_wink.gif

All that being said I believe Ubuntu is easier to use for a home user.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
    Each time I tried Fedora, it was a dissapointment. CentOS on the other hand worked great each time I experimented with it. Linux-from-scratch distro is great if you want to really build solid Linux skills, regardless of the Linux cert you are after.
  • DoS9DoS9 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Is there any update when the Comptia / LPI changes are going to be done? I couldn't find anything on Comptia's website.

Thanks.
    DoS9 wrote: »
    Is there any update when the Comptia / LPI changes are going to be done? I couldn't find anything on Comptia's website.

Thanks.

There is this
    CompTIA and LPI Join Forces to Advance Global Linux Workforce / What's New? / About LPI / Home - LPI -

The website says late April. I was considering given them a call in a few weeks but you might want to email them if you really want to know

comptia@lpi.org
    linuxplus@comptia.org

I am thinking since they said the current test will retire on April 30th, that same day the new test will come out (or shortly after).
    knwminus wrote: »
    I am thinking since they said the current test will retire on April 30th, that same day the new test will come out (or shortly after).
    I think they were talking about the XK0-002 (2004 objectives) being discontinued. I don't think the XK0-003 is even available.
    MentholMoose
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Exam objectives for Linux+ are LX0-101 and LX0-102. There is no longer any XK0-003.
    In order to get the Linux+ under the new objectives, the candidate has to pass both exams.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
    At least the new objectives are up now so that is a good sign
  • qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    NEW EXAM NOTICE
    The new CompTIA Linux+ is currently expected to launch in late April.
    qwertyiop wrote: »
    NEW EXAM NOTICE
    The new CompTIA Linux+ is currently expected to launch in late April.
    :D:D I guess 25th isn't late enough to be counted as "late April". Nah, why bother with CompTIA when you can go straight to the source icon_study.gif
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    varelg wrote: »
    :D:D I guess 25th isn't late enough to be counted as "late April". Nah, why bother with CompTIA when you can go straight to the source icon_study.gif

I wouldn't be surprised if the release date still said "late April" by this Saturday.
  • celbiicelbii Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    will there be a grace period when the new test comes out? I just bought a voucher for the old test and am still studying.
    Hopefully Security+ or mcsa next =)
    celbii wrote: »
    will there be a grace period when the new test comes out? I just bought a voucher for the old test and am still studying.

I checked voucher purchase on the CompTIA site recently, and the Linux+ 2004 voucher expiration is said to be June 30, 2010. From that, I assume that the 2004 exam will expire on June 30th.

I did like you, bought a discount voucher and scheduled at the end of May. You can always reschedule the exam.

Good luck! I have to do more study as well.
    Details for new exams posted. CompTIA Linux+

Present Linux+ exam is available through October 31, 2010, but retires in Japan April 30, 2010.
    janmike wrote: »
    Details for new exams posted. CompTIA Linux+

Present Linux+ exam is available through October 31, 2010, but retires in Japan April 30, 2010.

Awesome!

Which Linux+ are you going for?
    Going for XKO-002. That's what all of my study materials contain. I have a voucher and am scheduled last of May, but I will probably reschedule. Either path you follow, Linux+ admin covers a lot of material!

I am glad we know where we stand now. It has all been irritating in the last several months.

I like using Linux. I just need to get up to speed like a real geek now!
    janmike wrote: »
    Going for XKO-002. That's what all of my study materials contain. I have a voucher and am scheduled last of May, but I will probably reschedule. Either path you follow, Linux+ admin covers a lot of material!

I am glad we know where we stand now. It has all been irritating in the last several months.

I like using Linux. I just need to get up to speed like a real geek now!

Awesome. I am going to go for the LPIC-1 path. If this job comes through (I will find out soon) it would also be good for me to get the server+. I would probably study for them both at the same time. We will see though.