A+ Token Ring Question

dmurray9133dmurray9133 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
In studying for A+ I generally understand the Token Ring topology. My question is this: in this setup each station must wait for the token - does that literally mean if [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Workstation[/COLOR][/COLOR] A is moving a file to a shared folder on B that workstation C would be unable to perform any network traffic until that [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]operation[/COLOR][/COLOR] was complete??

Comments

• Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    In studying for A+ I generally understand the Token Ring topology. My question is this: in this setup each station must wait for the token - does that literally mean if [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Workstation[/COLOR][/COLOR] A is moving a file to a shared folder on B that workstation C would be unable to perform any network traffic until that [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]operation[/COLOR][/COLOR] was complete??

There should be no Token Ring questions on the A+ or the Network+.

This is a good article on Token Ring
    Token ring - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Since only the device with the token would be able to talk I believe that maybe valid. Maybe someone else can chime in but IMO you shouldn't be studying that for the A+. A study of ethernet would better serve you for the real world AND for future test IMO.
  • steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I checked the A+ objectives and didn't see anything about Token Ring on there. So I doubt it's on there anymore, I hope not anyways.
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    To my knowledge, which may be a little rusty since token ring is almost non-existent today, it is a matter of packet use.

Workstation A would be able to send one packet over the line, and then Workstation B would be able to send one packet over the line, then workstation C would get a turn. Each workstation gets the same amount of bandwidth time on the line.

That being said, I'm 99.99% sure Token Ring is not an A+ objective.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have worked on FDDI networks repeatedly in my career. FDDI is fiber redundant token ring network, the acronym means Fiber Distributed Data Interface. When one station has a frame worth of information it holds the token (which is just a frame) until the dataframe is completely sent. There can be exceptions to this depending on how you configure the control station and the network. The caps can be set to control packet sizes and token hold time.

If a token gets stuck on a station the control station will send out a beacon to check if the token is being held for a reason. If it is it puts a wait till the token should be released and checks again.

If the control station wants to redistribute a token it will clear the line with a broadcast frame that resets the network condition, then reissues the token.

Once a station has sent the token the next station (upstream neighbor) usually counterclockwise has a turn with the token. If the station has no need for the token it passes it on.

The A+ exam does not have Token Ring covered in it but it is in the Network+ exam objectives. Though your required depth of knowledge is merely an ability to identify token ring, CDDI or FDDI network.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • dmurray9133dmurray9133 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    it's both my 2009 A+ books and I was just curious.

tx everyone...
  • xineoxineo Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    FDDI doesnt completely apply because it has 2 counter rotating rings so there's full duplex capabilities. But yes essentially a Token Ring is like a Bucket being passed around that only one user can take stuff out and put stuff in so only one user is using it at a time but it's relatively quick enough (even though out dated) that a person may not even notice.
    "Master What you Know but Perfect what you don't"
    -Xineo

http://sites.google.com/site/getnetcert/