Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    mbarra wrote: »
    A+ and Network+ need to be the new versions to count. Look into the bridge exams I have had both in the past 3 yrs and need to retake both. If they take the bridge exam to make you current saves 3 classes.

I was told as long as they were taken in the last 5 years it is fine.

Not that it is a big deal, A+ will be easy to get the 09 for if i just study some. I got the 09 Net+ so all i gotta worry about is the A+. I took the A+ a month before the 09 exam came out. LAME.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    chmorin wrote: »
    I was told as long as they were taken in the last 5 years it is fine.

Not that it is a big deal, A+ will be easy to get the 09 for if i just study some. I got the 09 Net+ so all i gotta worry about is the A+. I took the A+ a month before the 09 exam came out. LAME.
    When are you planning to start chmorin?
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    CompTIA A+ Essentials (220-601 or 701)

(220-702 or 220-602 or 220-603 or 220-604 )

These are the tests which will satisfy for the A+. Isn't the (220-601), (220-602) the 2006 version? So I think if they're taken within 5 years they cover it.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    earweed wrote: »
    When are you planning to start chmorin?

Good question. This summer, probably. I'm trying to set stuff up with transferring credits.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Good question. This summer, probably. I'm trying to set stuff up with transferring credits.
    I think your A+ will still count. You took the 220-601 series and that's listed as satisfying the requirements for the A+ classes. I just checked the transfer guidelines.
    I think your A+ will still count. You took the 220-601 series and that's listed as satisfying the requirements for the A+ classes. I just checked the transfer guidelines.

Good to know. One less thing I have to do. I'm looking forward to seeing what is actually going to be tested in each of the class tests.
    Currently Pursuing
    mikej412 wrote:
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Classes are a go.

Algebra (barf), Project+ and CIW Fundamentals to start.

He didnt really want me doing Project+ because its "so far ahead" lol.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    Classes are a go.

I just had the 70-680 added to my role, and as soon as that is done I am going for the Project+. I believe I will be able to complete seven classes in this first semester.
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Im just gonna force myself through the math as best I can. Everything after that shouldn't put me in such a bad mood and be doable.
    Yeah I'm not much looking forward to the math bit but hopefully I can handle it.
    Currently Pursuing
    mikej412 wrote:
  • fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360

Nice, I plan on starting around first week of July.

Btw, got my acceptance letter in the mail yesterday. icon_lol.gif
    CCNP :study:
  • bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Im just gonna force myself through the math as best I can. Everything after that shouldn't put me in such a bad mood and be doable.

Wait until you read the Critical Thinking book (assuming you have to take CLC1 or some other version of it)
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
    bwcarty wrote: »
    Wait until you read the Critical Thinking book (assuming you have to take CLC1 or some other version of it)

Please comment some more on CLC1. What is the class like?
    I started a new thread for writing about your experiences at WGU. Please move comments to there so we can keep using this thread for its intended purpose.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/52825-student-experiences-western-governors-university-wgu.html
  • jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
    Classes are a go.

lol..my mentor was cool...my classes are

LAE1 (will finish that today), CIW Fundamentals, LAC1 (will schedule the assessment today, and CCNA...*ting*
    Reading: What ever is on my desk that day :study:

Based on the final exam, CLC1 should be called "Drawing Logical Conclusions." The textbook is highly idealistic about how people should approach thinking in all aspects of their lives, and when it comes down to it, if you're already good at logic problems and identifying things of subjective nature, the book isn't that important.

My advice would be to go straight to the preassessment and see how well you do. If it's mostly common sense to you, go through the MindEdge modules and ignore the book entirely.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
    Based on the final exam, CLC1 should be called "Drawing Logical Conclusions." The textbook is highly idealistic about how people should approach thinking in all aspects of their lives, and when it comes down to it, if you're already good at logic problems and identifying things of subjective nature, the book isn't that important.

My advice would be to go straight to the preassessment and see how well you do. If it's mostly common sense to you, go through the MindEdge modules and ignore the book entirely.

sweet, that should be pretty fun, and since I am just finishing up a psyc class it should go hand in hand :)

Alright, I will try it out later tonight, and maybe add it to my list of classes next week.
  • qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□

CLC1 was based on common sense. Just read the question over twice and you should get the answer
  • sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370
    Hello all, I hope I did not over look this anywhere, but I searched the forum and this thread to no avail.

Nonetheless, I am considering WGU's networking program, and I have 1 concern and that is accreditation. I would like to know if I can graduate WGU, and then transfer my credits and degree from WGU to a state based school for graduates school. At this point in my life I am still in Community college, and I am looking for a 4 year school. I would go here locally to a undergrad school in my state, but Computer Science and CIS do not interest me. Nonetheless, if I knew that WGU`s credits were transferable then I probably will go there. I spoke with a WGU rep, and he told me everything would transfer, but in my opinion thats like talking to a military recruiter they aren't going to tell you anything you do not want to hear.

Thanks in advanced.
    Currently Reading: Again to Carthage - CCNA/Security
    Hello all, I hope I did not over look this anywhere, but I searched the forum and this thread to no avail.

Nonetheless, I am considering WGU's networking program, and I have 1 concern and that is accreditation. I would like to know if I can graduate WGU, and then transfer my credits and degree from WGU to a state based school for graduates school. At this point in my life I am still in Community college, and I am looking for a 4 year school. I would go here locally to a undergrad school in my state, but Computer Science and CIS do not interest me. Nonetheless, if I knew that WGU`s credits were transferable then I probably will go there.

Thanks in advanced.

Credits don't "transfer" to a graduate program, look at is a fresh start of college, as long as you have a bachelors you should be fine. From what I have heard, people have gone on to Stanford and Penn State (and others) for grad school after WGU. At least that is my understanding of it :)

But I would recommend getting a list (from WGU) of grad schools who will accept a bachelors obtained at WGU if you plan on going to a different grad school.
    fly351 wrote: »
    Credits don't "transfer" to a graduate program, look at is a fresh start of college, as long as you have a bachelors you should be fine. From what I have heard, people have gone on to Stanford and Penn State (and others) for grad school after WGU. At least that is my understanding of it :)

But I would recommend getting a list (from WGU) of grad schools who will accept a bachelors obtained at WGU if you plan on going to a different grad school.

Yes thank you, its not set in stone that I am going to grad school, but I just want to make sure a WGU degree will transfer. I will contact WGU for a listing of schools.
    It's not really a question of will credits transfer but if WGU is accreditted. Yes WGu is regionally accreditted.
    Yes WGu is regionally accredited.

Yes they are regionally accreddicted by some North Western association, I was told today that they need to be nationally accredited by one of my co-workers in order for the degree to transfer. I am just getting all sorts of mixed answers Regional accreditation - National accreditation ect ect lol
    Yes they are regionally accredited by some North Western association, I was told today that they need to be nationally accredited by one of my co-workers in order for the degree to transfer. I am just getting all sorts of mixed answers Regional accreditation - National accreditation ect ect lol

That is very odd since I have always been told Regional Accreditation held more weight. That being said, WGU is both regionally and nationally accredited.

WGU Accreditation | Accredited Online University | Western Governors University Online
    Like Fly above said people go to different grad schools from here. The regional accredidation is all that is needed.
    And I'm a student not a WGU rep. Several people on TE who are going to WGU plan to go somewhere else for grad school.
    Well then I am all for it. I do not plan on going to a grad school, but I just want to know that if I go to WGU and then one day want to go to a school local to my area for a grad degree that I can do that. So i guess my question has been answered.

Thanks all!
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Yes they are regionally accreddicted by some North Western association, I was told today that they need to be nationally accredited by one of my co-workers in order for the degree to transfer. I am just getting all sorts of mixed answers Regional accreditation - National accreditation ect ect lol

Your coworker has it backwards. Regional accreditation is the gold standard. National accreditation is less strenous, depending on the accrediting agency (DETC is the best of the national accreditors). To give some examples:

-ITT is accredited by ACICS, a national accrediting agency.
    -WGU holds accreditations from FOUR regional accrediting agencies, while one has become their "home" agency (the Northwest Commission, the same people who accredit Bellevue University and Brigham Young University among others). WGU also has an accreditation from DETC, but probably really doesn't need it.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
    petedude wrote: »
    Your coworker has it backwards. Regional accreditation is the gold standard. National accreditation is less strenous, depending on the accrediting agency (DETC is the best of the national accreditors). To give some examples:

petedude speaks the truth. Search for regional vs. national accreditation for more details.
    Well heck.. lol Both of my co workers were like NATL Only! Nonetheless glad to hear from you guys who are actually doing this stuff. I am to the point now to where I just want to go to school for something I am interested in, and WGU looks like my only option. WGU is for sure my only option I am excited about getting started with.