When MCSE 2003 Is Retired

When Microsoft finally retires the MCSE 2003 series. Will HR/Recruiters only look for MCITP:EA/SA when hiring for jobs which are done by MCSE's ?

Is that the time the EA/SA will become much more valuable ?

Comments

• Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    It's inevitable that the MCITP's will gain prominence at some point. Whether or not that point is when the MCSE retires (or whichever point) is how well Microsoft advertises the new cert paths and helps companies realize that the MCSE/MCP is on the way out.

Also, a lot of companies still run legacy systems and may still search for people that are certified directly on those technologies.

Taking it even further, in the next few years the MCSE will start to show "longevity" in ones cert resume, meaning they likely have been in the field or around the tech for awhile if they hold an older cert.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    IMO the MCITP: EA/SA will be more valuable as more businesses migrate to Server 2008. The employees they already have with their MCSE's will still be there but may be encouraged to get the MCITP. I see it being several years down the road.
    Server 2003 will still be around for a while.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Jonny70Jonny70 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would add that having the newer certifications that require renewal will reassure some recruiters that your skills are fresh. Longevity could be good or bad depending on whether or not you've been using your MCSE skills. Simply having the cert will not communicate your active proficiency level.
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    When Microsoft finally retires the MCSE 2003 series. Will HR/Recruiters only look for MCITP:EA/SA when hiring for jobs which are done by MCSE's ?

Is that the time the EA/SA will become much more valuable ?

I don't reckon there's any corelation between the exams being retired and what employers will be asking for. I doubt HR goons will even know that exams get retired.

It will be more of a case of companies building / upgrading their servers to 08 and the demand for MCITP increasing, irrelevant to the status of MCSE certs.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    MCSE will still be relevant for a long time. Four years ago when I was last seriously job hunting I was shocked at the companies hunting for Windows NT knowledge. 2003 is a good solid OS and will remain entrenched for a long time.

Like others have said though, at some point a threshold will be crossed and MCITP will become more prominent.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Jonny70 wrote: »
    I would add that having the newer certifications that require renewal will reassure some recruiters that your skills are fresh. Longevity could be good or bad depending on whether or not you've been using your MCSE skills. Simply having the cert will not communicate your active proficiency level.

I just wanted to state that the new guy here has made the most important point of any post yet in this thread. I don't care how long server 2003 will be around in the work place... Clearly it will have value for a long time to come, but if you are not keeping your knowledge and skills sharp, you are doing a disservice to your employer.