CCNP library useful for new exams?

phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
My employer just bought me the CCNP exam library. Will the material in these books be much different than what is covered in the new exams? Thank you.

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The BSCI & BCMSN Certification Guides will give you something to read while you wait for the ROUTE and SWITCH Foundation Guides to be published. The CCNP Foundation Library should be available in June.

Once you've read the Foundation Guides you should be able to figure out from the old & new exam blueprints if there were major differences and whether you need the new Certification Guides. The new CCNP Certification Library is available now.

If some of the old ISCW & ONT topics have moved into ROUTE & SWITCH exams, you may get some use out of some of the chapters in those Exam Certification Guides.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Good to know, thanks Mike.
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    phoeneous wrote: »
    My employer just bought me the CCNP exam library. Will the material in these books be much different than what is covered in the new exams? Thank you.

I have yet to take the SWITCH exam, but having spent last 2 months studying from the official Cert Exam guide, I can tell you that most of the BCMSN is relevant to the SWITCH exam. I have used the CBT nuggets BCMSN in my study.
    I let you know if it worked soon ;)

IF you know the BCMSN then you will only need a bit of extra work to fill in a few areas.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    I have yet to take the SWITCH exam, but having spent last 2 months studying from the official Cert Exam guide, I can tell you that most of the BCMSN is relevant to the SWITCH exam. I have used the CBT nuggets BCMSN in my study.
    I let you know if it worked soon ;)

IF you know the BCMSN then you will only need a bit of extra work to fill in a few areas.

Ok so about 2 months studying for the SWITCH right

Can I ask you how many hours/days per week you spent? I'm trying to get a gauge for me when I begin studying. I'm going to wait for the Foundation books in June so for now I am going to focus on CCNA:S just to do something....

OK lets say more than a bit ;)

All the BCMSN is relivent to theSWITCH exam, but you will need to study some topice that are specific only to SWITCH, see http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccnp/52827-switch-taken.html for what I mean
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
    Ok so about 2 months studying for the SWITCH right

Can I ask you how many hours/days per week you spent? I'm trying to get a gauge for me when I begin studying. I'm going to wait for the Foundation books in June so for now I am going to focus on CCNA:S just to do something....

Varies between none and 3 or 4 hours. My study has been mixed in with setting up LINUX servers and computer grid projects so its hard to say exactly. I would say 1 to 2 hours a night on average for the last 6 weeks.

I spent the frist month playing aroud with the basic ideass and labbing about. and the last 3 to 4 weeks going over it all taking each area in turn.

I would say if you could put 2 to 3 hours aside a day, 5 days a week. then 2 to 3 months woudl be needed to fully cover all the topics. And that assumes you already know your way around the IOS quite well.
  • notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    Varies between none and 3 or 4 hours. My study has been mixed in with setting up LINUX servers and computer grid projects so its hard to say exactly. I would say 1 to 2 hours a night on average for the last 6 weeks.

I spent the frist month playing aroud with the basic ideass and labbing about. and the last 3 to 4 weeks going over it all taking each area in turn.

I would say if you could put 2 to 3 hours aside a day, 5 days a week. then 2 to 3 months woudl be needed to fully cover all the topics. And that assumes you already know your way around the IOS quite well.

Thanks! I can't wait to get started....

Reading is actually the easy part I think, labbing is what takes time, absorb the info, understand what it is you're doing etc etc...

I have the BCMSN book too, I suppose I can flip back and forth between this book and the new switch book.....
  • CiskHoCiskHo Member Posts: 188
    Reading is actually the easy part I think, labbing is what takes time...
    Ready is the easy part, labing is the fun part!
    I have the BCMSN book too, I suppose I can flip back and forth between this book and the new switch book.....
    I would highly recommend that. The more (relevant) material you can review the better!

The SWITCH Off Cert Guide was nowhere near enough for me to pass. However, I don't use this info on the job either and that doesn't help when it comes to exam time.
    My Lab Gear:
    2811(+SW/POE/ABGwifi/DOCSIS) - 3560G-24-EI - 3550-12G - 3550POE - (2) 2950G-24 - 7206VXR - 2651XM - (2) 2611XM - 1760 - (2) CP-7940G - ESXi Server

Just Finished: RHCT (1/8/11) and CCNA:S (Fall 2010)
    Prepping For: VCP and CCNP SWITCH, ROUTE, TSHOOT