DNS lab environment

thatguy85thatguy85 Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello all,

Help me diagnose why my lab environment isn't working. Here's the scenario:

Parent domain is on tosodc1, domain is contoso.local

Child domain is on tosoms1, demo.contoso.local

Both machines have DNS installed, and have primary zones for their respective domains. I created a stub record on contoso.local for the child domain. Both can ping each other by IP and name.

On tosoms1 I set up forwarding of all queries that it couldn't resolve to tosodc1.

Tosodc1 has a 2nd nic installed that connects to my company's network. Both machines are in vmware.

I can ping Google from tosodc1, but not from tosoms1. What am I missing here?

Comments

• RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    thatguy85 wrote: »
    Hello all,

Help me diagnose why my lab environment isn't working. Here's the scenario:

Parent domain is on tosodc1, domain is contoso.local

Child domain is on tosoms1, demo.contoso.local

Both machines have DNS installed, and have primary zones for their respective domains. I created a stub record on contoso.local for the child domain. Both can ping each other by IP and name.

On tosoms1 I set up forwarding of all queries that it couldn't resolve to tosodc1.

Tosodc1 has a 2nd nic installed that connects to my company's network. Both machines are in vmware.

I can ping Google from tosodc1, but not from tosoms1. What am I missing here?

Do
    NSLOOKUP [URL="http://www.google.com"]www.google.com[/URL]

from tosoms1 and see if it resolves. I suspect this is a routing issue. Also run
    tracert 8.8.8.8

from tosoms1.
  • thatguy85thatguy85 Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Robert,

Thanks for your reply. The nslookup command ended up not being able to resolve tosodc1.contoso.local.

I'm guessing some reading on RRAS is in order. :)
    Are both of these on a switch with the same network ID?
    They're both virtual machines running in vmware. each machine has one nic installed that's running NAT. Tosodc1 has a nic installed that's bridged.
    thatguy85 wrote: »
    They're both virtual machines running in vmware. each machine has one nic installed that's running NAT. Tosodc1 has a nic installed that's bridged.
    Ah, I forgot you said that before. How was the second server able to join the domain of the primary server if it cannot resolve the name of the primary server?
    I actually got it fixed. You mentioned to check out RRAS and setting that up fixed the problem.

The member server was able to resolve the DC, just wasn't able to use the DC to contact the internet, whereas the DC was able to ping google.com with no troubles.d

Thanks for your help!
    Got it. Glad I could help!