Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360
    Yes they are regionally accreddicted by some North Western association, I was told today that they need to be nationally accredited by one of my co-workers in order for the degree to transfer. I am just getting all sorts of mixed answers Regional accreditation - National accreditation ect ect lol

I've done my research on WGU, I thought they were to good to be true. But from everything I see they are amazing.

And like the others said, regional accreditation's are actually better than national. I've seen diploma mills have a national accreditation. Oh and WGU is the only online university that has ever been awarded 4 regional accreditation's.

From my research:

WGU Accreditations
    Regional:
    NWCCU [FONT=&quot]link[/FONT]
    CHEA [FONT=&quot]link[/FONT]
    HLC [FONT=&quot]link[/FONT]
    WASC [FONT=&quot]link[/FONT]
    National:
    DETC [FONT=&quot]link[/FONT]
    CCNP :study:
  • Patrick BatemanPatrick Bateman Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Anyone have advice for which concentration to take for someone who wants to ultimately be doing technical IT work (as opposed to a managerial type work)? I am most interested in security, but have enjoyed every type of computer work I've been involved in (besides web design). I plan on getting my BS from WGU, help-desking it for a bit while attaining higher-level certs. Basically, which path is best to get my foot in the door towards my goal?
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Anyone have advice for which concentration to take for someone who wants to ultimately be doing technical IT work (as opposed to a managerial type work)? I am most interested in security, but have enjoyed every type of computer work I've been involved in (besides web design). I plan on getting my BS from WGU, help-desking it for a bit while attaining higher-level certs. Basically, which path is best to get my foot in the door towards my goal?

What kind of technical work do you want to do? If networking, what kind of networking, servers or network infrastructure (switches, routers, etc)? If you want to get a well rounded knowledge of all of it I would go with the straight IT Bachelor degree. Then you will learn networking, programming, database, etc.
    Well, I suppose I'm not totally sure. I am finishing up my AAS in Software Engineering right now, and while I love programming the market sucks and its far too easy to be outsourced. I've had classes in web design, networking, security, server admin etc. and I enjoyed them all, but they were mostly theory. As I said security interests me most, and I plan on doing higher-level security certs once I finish the BS, or during, if possible. I just don't know if either the MCITP or CCNA:S would be more beneficial to me starting out?

I appreciate the help.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The security emphasis will get you the CCNA, CCNA:Sec certs or you could go the network route for the MCITP certs (you get certs while getting the degree). Depends on where you want to be when you get out of WGU.
    If you're planning to apply, be sure to PM one of the current students here to get referred. You'll save the application fee. Don't PM me, Ive referred 3 people since I've been here ;)
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    earweed wrote: »
    The security emphasis will get you the CCNA, CCNA:Sec certs or you could go the network route for the MCITP certs (you get certs while getting the degree). Depends on where you want to be when you get out of WGU.
    If you're planning to apply, be sure to PM one of the current students here to get referred. You'll save the application fee. Don't PM me, Ive referred 3 people since I've been here ;)

I appreciate it, but my WGU start date is July 1st :D. My tentative major is security, but I just wonder if the MCITP would be much stronger than a CCNA:S for entry level employment. The SSCP or SCNP are certifications I would be looking into on my own time as soon as is feasible.
    I appreciate it, but my WGU start date is July 1st :D. My tentative major is security, but I just wonder if the MCITP would be much stronger than a CCNA:S for entry level employment. The SSCP or SCNP are certifications I would be looking into on my own time as soon as is feasible.

Congrats, I hope to start around that time as well. I am finishing up this semester and transferring in shortly after.

That just depends on where you want to be.. long term I want to be in a strictly network/network security position, finding that exact job isn't easy and usually requires 5-10 years of experience.. so yah broadening your education can help get you in the door, but you need to think about where you want to be long term.
  • sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370
    fly351 wrote: »
    I've done my research on WGU, I thought they were to good to be true. But from everything I see they are amazing.

And like the others said, regional accreditation's are actually better than national. I've seen diploma mills have a national accreditation. Oh and WGU is the only online university that has ever been awarded 4 regional accreditation's.

From my research:

WGU Accreditations
    Regional:
    NWCCU [FONT=&quot]link[/FONT]
    CHEA [FONT=&quot]link[/FONT]
    HLC [FONT=&quot]link[/FONT]
    WASC [FONT=&quot]link[/FONT]
    National:
    DETC [FONT=&quot]link[/FONT]

I did some research of my own today. I called one of the local colleges here computer science department (Mississippi College). I asked the adviser for the CS department if I could transfer a networking degree from WGU to Mississippi college in an effort to get a masters of CS from Mississippi college ( I do not plan on getting a Masters in CS, but I wanted to show some sort of interest in MC so she would be more willing to help me) Nonetheless, she said that the degree would probably not transfer due to the fact that its a Technical degree.. well thats obvious and one of the main reasons I am considering it.

What she did say that interested me was she compared the WGU to a program that we have at Mississippi Southern University that is a Technical IT bachelor degree. I would go for that degree if I lived close to USM. Nonetheless, I was glad to hear her compare it to that.

The lady then went into this selling attack trying to explain to me how I need to learn networking in a theoretical way.. Thats what I am trying to get away from. There plenty of schools offer network theory.. or CIS degrees that have a concentration in networking.. That way its like 10 programming classes and 2 networking classes, Well thats how it is at Mississippi College.

WGU here I come.
    Currently Reading: Again to Carthage - CCNA/Security
    I did some research of my own today. I called one of the local colleges here computer science department (Mississippi College). I asked the adviser for the CS department if I could transfer a networking degree from WGU to Mississippi college in an effort to get a masters of CS from Mississippi college ( I do not plan on getting a Masters in CS, but I wanted to show some sort of interest in MC so she would be more willing to help me) Nonetheless, she said that the degree would probably not transfer due to the fact that its a Technical degree.. well thats obvious and one of the main reasons I am considering it.

What she did say that interested me was she compared the WGU to a program that we have at Mississippi Southern University that is a Technical IT bachelor degree. I would go for that degree if I lived close to USM. Nonetheless, I was glad to hear her compare it to that.

The lady then went into this selling attack trying to explain to me how I need to learn networking in a theoretical way.. Thats what I am trying to get away from. There plenty of schools offer network theory.. or CIS degrees that have a concentration in networking.. That way its like 10 programming classes and 2 networking classes, Well thats how it is at Mississippi College.

WGU here I come.

Glad you checked into it. However... that is kind of ridiculous that they wouldn't recognize the degree as a Bachelors of Science.. why else would there be 17 non-technical courses on each of their IT degrees.. Did you explain to her that? or did she look it up? IMO the degree could be more technical and still be considered a B.S.
    fly351 wrote: »
    Glad you checked into it. However... that is kind of ridiculous that they wouldn't recognize the degree as a Bachelors of Science.. why else would there be 17 non-technical courses on each of their IT degrees.. Did you explain to her that? or did she look it up? IMO the degree could be more technical and still be considered a B.S.

Well she looked it up, but just a broad look up all she did was go to WGU site and just took a look at what we all can see. I could tell she did not like it, but what can you expect she is from another college.
    Well she looked it up, but just a broad look up all she did was go to WGU site and just took a look at what we all can see. I could tell she did not like it, but what can you expect she is from another college.

That's cool, I figured as much as well :) Just from a quick glance they have a single regional SACS accreditation, same thing as my current school ETSU Home Just not very impressive after I really started looking around.
    Mississippi college is what I was considering before WGU, but I just do not care to go to school for programing.. when I want to get into networking. I would like to take maybe 1 programming language course to get an idea of how programming works.. but no more than 1.. lol
  • LoverLover Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi everyone,

Im new here and a new WGU student, Just started this month. I have a couple questions and I hope to find answers.
    LAC1,LAE1,LAT1,LUT1,INC1 where do I have to go to take the exams. Doing them online from my home, or do I have to go to test center? I know WFV1 have to go to test center.

and what is the difference between Proctored and performance assessment.

Thanks alot
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Lover wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Im new here and a new WGU student, Just started this month. I have a couple questions and I hope to find answers.
    LAC1,LAE1,LAT1,LUT1,INC1 where do I have to go to take the exams. Doing them online from my home, or do I have to go to test center? I know WFV1 have to go to test center.

and what is the difference between Proctored and performance assessment.

Thanks alot
    Wecome to TE and to WGU, be sure and sign in on the TE Roll call thread in the IT Program Community.
    Proctored (objective) means you take assesment at a test center, Performance means you submit the tasks, usually through taskstream, from your home computer.
    The objective (proctored) non IT exams I took, I used a Sylvan testing center. Most Junior Colleges, Universities, and some other places have testing centers which can be used. Your mentor will help you when the time comes to take these exams.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    Does anyone know how the Network Design degree would go towards network engineering? I'd like to get into Lan/Wan engineering. Work my ways towards a CCIE or higher. I don't have much college experience but I've been in electrical/electronic engineering sector for 10 years now so I have a lot of real world experience. Thanks, and btw can someone PM if they can refer me to waive the application fee? Thanks!
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
    Does anyone know how the Network Design degree would go towards network engineering? I'd like to get into Lan/Wan engineering. Work my ways towards a CCIE or higher.

I would suggest the security track then, because the CCNA:Security is gained through it.
    I have an appointment later today to talk to an admission person. I'm thinking this will work great with what I want do. Thanks
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    earweed wrote: »
    The security emphasis will get you the CCNA, CCNA:Sec certs or you could go the network route for the MCITP certs (you get certs while getting the degree).

I was debating this also, but I am wanting to get into networking so I rather take the network installation and management route, And earn my CCNA on the side.

For you guys that chose 1 of the 2 WGU network paths, which one did you guys choose??

I am leaning towards planning and mgmt over Admin.

Thanks
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I picked admin, because I want to be a network administrator.

I'm dong the readiness assessment now =)
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
    chmorin wrote: »
    I picked admin, because I want to be a network administrator.

I'm dong the readiness assessment now =)

I want to be a network admin also, but I really want to know how to setup networks, not just ensure that things are flowing right. I am honestly kind of unsure. I really like the MCITP Enterprise administrator that the Network Design and MGMT comes with.
    I had a long talk with the admission department. They said after you complete you 1st degree it only takes 6 months to earn another one. So you can take the security focus then one more term for another focus. I'm going to start with the Security track then after finishing that take Network Design and Mgmt. Going to aim for June or July 1st start. Thanks for the info.
    Yea I think I rather do Security over Administration. I mean once one knows how the network is setup and planned it will be pretty easy to administrate from that point in my opinion. I want to know how to build it, then I believe once I know how it is built I will be able to administrate it easily.
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    I had a long talk with the admission department. They said after you complete you 1st degree it only takes 6 months to earn another one.

From the WGU student handbook:
    Students who have a WGU bachelor's degree and wish to earn a second WGU bachelor's degree must demonstrate competency in lower division prerequisites and all upper division requirements pertaining to the new degree, but the Collegiate Level Reasoning and Problem Solving requirement will be waived. Student will not need to repeat courses of study which they already completed in their first WGU degree, including Education without Boundaries (EWB).

Sounds to me like you might have to do some general ed if you go for a second bachelor's with WGU. I'd talk this over with your mentor once you've started to be sure.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    it would be nice to do the NA and BSITS degree, then move up to the MS.
  • qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    SephStorm wrote: »
    it would be nice to do the NA and BSITS degree, then move up to the MS.

Thats what I was thinking. I'm finishing my Net Admin program in July and doing the Security program after that would be great especially since it would force me to get my CCNA: Security. I wonder if I'd have to retake my Portfolio and Capstone? If I remember correctly almost everything should transfer over so id be left with the CCNA courses
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Yea I think I rather do Security over Administration. I mean once one knows how the network is setup and planned it will be pretty easy to administrate from that point in my opinion. I want to know how to build it, then I believe once I know how it is built I will be able to administrate it easily.

Good administrators set up and reconfigure live environments daily, which could arguably be much more complicated than simply setting something up from scratch. I enjoy much more setting up network infrastructure, but administrating an ever dynamic environment is not as easy as it sounds. This is why once I finish my degree, I plan on attaining my CCNP.

Setting something up is one thing, but fixing that when it breaks is another. If I am confused as to the role of a network administrator, please tell my boss. We seem to fix things all the time. (Then again our network was put together by a, seemingly, a bunch of apes.)

Kind of like I can set up an AD server and add my computer to the host, and even pull and IP address from a DHCP server (though these are simpler to set up than a network IMO) but when someone needs some sort of unique configurations to accompany special needs, I need to adjust the initial markup.

In my opinion, an administrator AND engineer should have the same knowledge. They are just applying it in different ways.

EDIT:

Also, just passed the assessment too. Funny, they responded quickly.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
    When I talk to them again I'll ask about it. Dunno sounded like she meant that there is little difference in the IT degrees, just some of the Certs and Focus. I wouldn't think any of the generals would be any different. I'm looking to become a Network Engineer so the Security and Design/Mgmt would be a good fit.
    What are people doing for a master if they choose to go that route? Me personally I don't see much more money or job placement with such, but to each their own.
    What are people doing for a master if they choose to go that route? Me personally I don't see much more money or job placement with such, but to each their own.

I do not plan on getting a Masters right now, but if I did I guess it would be IT management. I will not be getting a masters until where ever I am working requires it for a position change. in my opinion a master well help you get into a management role, and I am not sure I want to get on the paper pushing money spending side of IT.. I like to be technical hands on, but I am 23 now so I cant really vouch for what I may want to be doing at 40+ I may be tired of plugging in cable by then lol

But right now, I want to work in a corporation, and most IT positions require some sort of bachelor especially networking.
    petedude wrote: »
    From the WGU student handbook:
    Students who have a WGU bachelor's degree and wish to earn a second WGU bachelor's degree must demonstrate competency in lower division prerequisites and all upper division requirements pertaining to the new degree, but the Collegiate Level Reasoning and Problem Solving requirement will be waived. Student will not need to repeat courses of study which they already completed in their first WGU degree, including Education without Boundaries (EWB).
    Sounds to me like you might have to do some general ed if you go for a second bachelor's with WGU. I'd talk this over with your mentor once you've started to be sure.

Nope. The programs have all the same courses except for what is below. If you do Security first, these are the classes needed to get the Network Design/Management:

Systems Administration and Management Domain
    TNV1 Network Fundamentals (Network+)
    Network Design and Management Emphasis Area
    AHV1 Directory Services
    AIV1 Network Design and Management
    BHV1 Configuring Applications Infrastructure
    BIV1 Enterprise Administration
    Web Devlopment Domain

AKV1 Web Programming
    Captstone Project
    CPW3 IT Capstone Project

And if you do Network Design first, here's what you need for Security: