New Linux+ = LPIC-1 !

LinuxG33kLinuxG33k Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
Appears CompTIA has partnered with LPI and CompTIA's new Linux+ will essentially include passing LPIC-101 & 102. So you will be dual certified! Not sure what will be required for current LPIC-1 holders to receive Linux+. Perhaps some sort of retroactive thing will be available. Interesting news though. Double certification: LPI and CompTIA in Partnership - Linux Magazine Online

Comments

• Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    LinuxG33k wrote: »
    Appears CompTIA has partnered with LPI and CompTIA's new Linux+ will essentially include passing LPIC-101 & 102. So you will be dual certified! Not sure what will be required for current LPIC-1 holders to receive Linux+. Perhaps some sort of retroactive thing will be available. Interesting news though. Double certification: LPI and CompTIA in Partnership - Linux Magazine Online

Hahaha V beat you to it. JK :)

http://www.techexams.net/forums/linux/49571-linux-coming-months-3.html#post397461

That is pretty cool isn't it? I talked with an admin at my school who has said that the LPIC program is now able to get me out of Linux 1 and Linux 2 (advanced) so I will be going to get that later this year. That's 7 credit hours and potentially a 2 slots freed up since you have to take the classes in order.
  • LinuxG33kLinuxG33k Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    knwminus wrote: »
    Hahaha V beat you to it. JK
    Oops! Didn't mean to re-post sorry!
    LinuxG33k wrote: »
    Oops! Didn't mean to re-post sorry!

You posted a link to an article which was pretty cool. I just hope that my current Linux+ books will still mean something for the new exams.
  • jeanathanjeanathan Member Posts: 163
    Crap and I just passed the Linux+ back in December 09. I should have waited :p
    Struggling through the re-certification process after 2 years of no OJT for the CCNP.
  • sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
    So, once you take the new Linux+ you get this or there is now a "different" Linux+ cert that grants you the "+ LPI" tag?

Kinda confused here....
  • qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    sambuca69 wrote: »
    So, once you take the new Linux+ you get this or there is now a "different" Linux+ cert that grants you the "+ LPI" tag?

Kinda confused here....

CompTIA is adopting the 2 exams needed for LPIC-1.
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I just hope that my current Linux+ books will still mean something for the new exams.
    I hope so, too. It would be really bad if all the newly published Linux+ books were made obsolete. Besides people who bought that content, the authors and publishers would also be very mad at CompTIA.

I think the content must have been very similar though, otherwise they wouldn't have done it. They probably wouldn't want all that time spent developing a new exam to go to waste.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I thought the same, the publisher invest a lot of money trying to create the new content and now this new, but for the industry I think is ok. Glad about this changes, these are my next exams after Windows 7
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

I think you are right, M. The material would have to be somewhat the same. I mean Comptia would have given the publishers the heads up about the test change, right?*

*Assuming Comptia as a company is worth a damn...
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I mean Comptia would have given the publishers the heads up about the test change, right?*

*Assuming Comptia as a company is worth a damn...

Yeah they would give a heads up just like the gave everyone a heads up they would expire their certs....icon_rolleyes.gif
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think this is going to be good for CompTIA's reputation, and by that consequently good for us.
    Yeah they would give a heads up just like the gave everyone a heads up they would expire their certs....icon_rolleyes.gif

All I am saying is that I already have a linux+ 2009 book and I wonder if sygress was notified before hand about that change. There were several books that came out as Linux+ 2009. I am sure comptia would have known about those projects and they should have stopped them.
    I think they wanted to be the first in the market so after they see the beta exams and objective that they were planning for Linux+ 2009 they decided to release the new book.

impelse wrote: »
    I think they wanted to be the first in the market so after they see the beta exams and objective that they were planning for Linux+ 2009 they decided to release the new book.

They would have to pay comptia for using the Linux+ Title. So they should have told them to wait. Oh well. The book shoulds still be good for general studying.
    The book shoulds still be good for general studying.

This is true.

• phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Just to make sure I am reading this correctly, if you pass L+, you also earn LPIC-1? I'm actually interested in taking both exams.
    Certification in CompTIA Linux+, Powered by LPI, enables candidates to become certified in LPIC-1 as well, enabling further participation in the LPI program if the candidate chooses.
    phoeneous wrote: »
    Just to make sure I am reading this correctly, if you pass L+, you also earn LPIC-1? I'm actually interested in taking both exams.

I believe that's how it works.
  • steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Since you earn the LPIC-1 when you pass the L+, your then eligible to apply for the Novell CLA certification. So you'll be getting 3 certs for the cost of the L+
    steve13ad wrote: »
    Since you earn the LPIC-1 when you pass the L+, your then eligible to apply for the Novell CLA certification. So you'll be getting 3 certs for the cost of the L+

That hasn't been confirmed has it?

Also you keep saying that like its a good thing. If you have never touched a novel box then how does having a cert that says novel in its name help your career.
  • steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The CLA covers that same entry level material as Linux+ and LPIC-1. It's not SUSE specific.

Here's the press release form LPIC
    steve13ad wrote: »
    The CLA covers that same entry level material as Linux+ and LPIC-1. It's not SUSE specific.

Here's the press release form LPIC

I also saw that press release. I am just saying that I don't know of anyone who has done the 3 for 1 deal yet so on paper yes it seems valid but I would like to see someone get all 3 certs. Maybe I will be the first around here later this year.

Also I wasn't saying it was SUSE specific, I simply said it had novel in the name. Hiring managers would assume that if you had a novel cert, then you know something about novel (directory services, SUSE, etc). I wouldn't want a cert that references a company who makes products that I have very little knowledge of or no knowledge at all on my resume. That's just my opinion. Thats like cisco making a network+ cert called cisco networking foundation cert. Regardless of whether or not it covers the IOS at all, people are going to expect you to know something about cisco boxes, even if you have never touched a cisco box simply because cisco is in the name.
  • nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    Also I wasn't saying it was SUSE specific, I simply said it had novel in the name. Hiring managers would assume that if you had a novel cert, then you know something about novel (directory services, SUSE, etc).

well you don't HAVE to put everything on a resume unless you want to. anyways two for one might have just convinced me to eventually give this exam a shot.
    WIP: IPS exam
    But then what's the point of getting the cert if you aren't going to put it on your resume?
  • nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    But then what's the point of getting the cert if you aren't going to put it on your resume?

what i meant above is with a "freebie" cert like that i wouldn't necessarily put it on every resume going out (especially if you are worried about HR making assumptions based on the name) but maybe mention it during an interview with a more technical person who would understand better how you got it (and maybe why you left it off in the first place).
    WIP: IPS exam
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I also saw that press release. I am just saying that I don't know of anyone who has done the 3 for 1 deal yet so on paper yes it seems valid but I would like to see someone get all 3 certs. Maybe I will be the first around here later this year.

Also I wasn't saying it was SUSE specific, I simply said it had novel in the name. Hiring managers would assume that if you had a novel cert, then you know something about novel (directory services, SUSE, etc). I wouldn't want a cert that references a company who makes products that I have very little knowledge of or no knowledge at all on my resume. That's just my opinion. Thats like cisco making a network+ cert called cisco networking foundation cert. Regardless of whether or not it covers the IOS at all, people are going to expect you to know something about cisco boxes, even if you have never touched a cisco box simply because cisco is in the name.
    I have to disagree somewhat. If someone sees Novell Certified Linux Administrator on your resume and associates it NetWare and eDirectory, then they don't know what the CLA is, and probably didn't even read the name of the certification. In such a circumstance, it wouldn't even matter if you studied specifically for the CLA, and are a SLES expert, or obtained it free without ever touching SLES. I don't think it's fair to view the CLA negatively because of this since this could be a problem with any cert, such as if if you have a CCNP and a hiring manager assumes you should have CCVP knowledge, or if you had the CLP and a hiring manager associates that with NetWare.

The CLA is an entry level Linux cert and does not cover NetWare, and barely covers SLES specifically. Take a look at the objectives:
    Test Objectives: Novell Networking and Services for Linux

On that list I see about five SUSE-specific objectives (the YaST stuff, and installing SLES), out of 55. Even without touching SLES you should be able to pass the CLA with enough knowledge of any distribution, and rightfully so because the differences between distributions are just not that significant. If you know one Linux distribution well, then you should be able to handle any of them. Likewise, if you needed to install a package on a SLES machine one day, and you are totally stuck because you don't have yum, or if you can't install SLES because you are only familiar with installing RHEL, then you don't really know Linux that well.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV