Cissp and Sec+

WAY2QUIKWAY2QUIK Banned Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm curious...I've read through this forum a little and haven't seen my question answered. If i missed it, sorry for the additional post. Honestly, how much harder is CISSP than let's say security +? To me it appears that some of the questions are a bit more broad and geared towards the managerial level, but I have skimmed some CISSP material and it appears to be easier to me than sec+ was. I could be wrong, but that's why I'm asking :)

Comments

• slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have taken both and I can tell you they are not even close to the same thing.

CISSP is much more in depth, and I can tell you none of the practice questions you find anywhere will even be close the same that you see on the CISSP test.

Just off the top of my head, the Security+ doesnt have 1% of the risk analysis material that CISSP does. Application security, not even close, network secuirty much more in depth, cryptoghraphy thats a sick not even close, physical security again amazingly different material, standards, legal, and compliance related stuff, unbelievably different.

Security+ is meant to certify knowledge for an entry level person.

CISSP, is geared more towards the top of the pyramid more expert level knowledge.

lets not forget about the cost of the exam, having to travel (most people) to the test area/site over night, waiting six weeks for results, then waiting another six+ weeks to get endorsement back (where I am currently)

I spent 1,300 or so between fees, books, transcender, cbt nuggets streaming, one year of study time and when I finished the test I wasn't sure I passed.
  • GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's all relative. I though cissp was a joke of an exam and not much harder than sec+.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    GAngel wrote: »
    It's all relative. I though cissp was a joke of an exam and not much harder than sec+.
    May I ask where you got that opinion from? I mean, did you read or hear that from someone else, or did you just infer it from reading about the CISSP on the Web? I'm really interested in knowing where people get a negative impression about certifications.
  • GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    May I ask where you got that opinion from? I mean, did you read or hear that from someone else, or did you just infer it from reading about the CISSP on the Web? I'm really interested in knowing where people get a negative impression about certifications.

I've written both. Everyone makes there own choices so i won't go any further into it.
    GAngel wrote: »

This opinion is definatley in the minority from what I have seen, some people say the cert is an inch deep and a mile wide, but I don't agree with this as you need to know all the material (which is deep) but the exam may not probe you on all the material.
  • LeifAlireLeifAlire Member Posts: 106
    A+ suddenly more harder than CCIE exam...
    2015 Goals: VCP-550 - CISA - 70-417
    LeifAlire wrote: »
    A+ suddenly more harder than CCIE exam...

No way, CCIE is most hardest!
  • WAY2QUIKWAY2QUIK Banned Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Got it thanks guys. I guess it's just like anything else, some of the material I had been seeing was probably the easier parts that were more or less comparable to security+. Anyway, thanks for the replies.