Options

load balancing across CSS

keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
i'm trying to load balance across 2 115xx to my server cluster.. i have done this for core switches with L2 switches but this is quite diff any ideas. i have checked the cisco website and read up on VIP and VIR.. but slightly need an outside direction
Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons

Comments

• Options
    wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    not sure what you mean by 2 115XX??

But load balancing across cisco routes can be done with the Data link swithching plus option

dlsw load-balance [round-robin | circuit count cricuit weight]

you also need to configure the routers as load balancing peers

dlsw local-peer [peer id] [group] [cluster] [cost]
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.
  • Options
    i'm looking at doing this using content switches 11500 at the session level i have read the docs on it but trying to figure out if anyone know of a better method .. we are already using the round robin method.. none of the servers are clustered although performing the same function

i'm wanting to cluster the servers that are doing the same jobs
  • Options
    tunerXtunerX Member Posts: 447 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How are you defining the term session? Is it per flow or authentication based? What is the end result that you need?

From what you have said, I think you may want to use cisco slb.

You create a server farm and assign a virtual server ip. Then you specify either weighted Round Robin or Weighted Least Connections. Least connections is better than round robin because it will keep track of how many connections each server has and will distribute those connections based on the weight you assign to each server. After you create the farm you have to create a list of available "real" servers and assign them weights.

You can then set up your content switch to forward requests or cache the content for different services to different virtual servers. SLB will keep track of which servers are part of a farm and the CS will keep track of which services are offered by the different vservers.

You can take it a step further and farm the two content switches to distribute the load on both of them.
  • Options
    tunerX wrote:
    How are you defining the term session? Is it per flow or authentication based? What is the end result that you need?

From what you have said, I think you may want to use cisco slb.

You create a server farm and assign a virtual server ip. Then you specify either weighted Round Robin or Weighted Least Connections. Least connections is better than round robin because it will keep track of how many connections each server has and will distribute those connections based on the weight you assign to each server. After you create the farm you have to create a list of available "real" servers and assign them weights.

You can then set up your content switch to forward requests or cache the content for different services to different virtual servers. SLB will keep track of which servers are part of a farm and the CS will keep track of which services are offered by the different vservers.

You can take it a step further and farm the two content switches to distribute the load on both of them.

believe it or not that is the plan to use 2 CS, right now the current setup is RR and session based. plan on keeping the ses based but changing the to the weight system. i have the drawing done but the config part is going to be a min b/c its a layerd model
  • Options
    after busting my head for serveral days reading configs and docs its making sense to me i believe.. i will let u know how is goes