Is it possible to pass...?

veramissveramiss Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
hi ppl

I have recently passed CCNA (3 weeks ago) and am planning to go for NP.

I know my question is kinda too broad and it really depends on an individual, time spending stuff like that, but I am wondering if it is possible to pass CCNP before 31st July, basically pass with the current 4 exams before R + S + Troubleshoot.

well, I am not a super genius but i am not that dumb as my question sounds. I mean... in general prospect, is it something possible or will it be a task really hard to achieve?

n

Comments

• laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    Is it possible? yes it is, can you do it? who knows ?

How long did you study for the NA ? How much experience do you have with cisco and networking ? Are you working in the networking areana now?

Do you really think you can study and pass an exam every 3.75 weeks to get all 4 in? How much of that knowledge do you think you will retain after the exams?

IMO given the timescales I'd say you'd be hard pushed to pass them all without an extensive background in Cisco networking.
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • veramissveramiss Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Is it possible? yes it is, can you do it? who knows ?

How long did you study for the NA ? How much experience do you have with cisco and networking ? Are you working in the networking areana now?

ANS : [ I studied NA for 3 months. My background is Comp. sceience back in Uni days but that was 7~8 yrs ago. I've never worked in IT field. (been self-employeed so far) I guess it is most fair to say I am a newbie in networking area. ]

Do you really think you can study and pass an exam every 3.75 weeks to get all 4 in? How much of that knowledge do you think you will retain after the exams?

Ans: [ frankly speaking at the dieing breath of 4 exams I thought exam questions would't change much from the **** so it wouldn't be that hard to pass, I reckoned ]

IMO given the timescales I'd say you'd be hard pushed to pass them all without an extensive background in Cisco networking.

ANS: [Thank you for your advice. I guess I should focus on passing at lease composite, which then requires to pass Troubleshoot only after 31.7 to obtain CCNP. According to Cisco web site if you have either BSCI or BCMSN before 31.7 you require to get either Switch + Troubleshoot or Route + Troubleshoot, with Composite u just need to get Troubleshoot to obtain CCNP. but what worried me most is this new Troubleshoot exam. ]
  • miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    veramiss wrote: »
    hi ppl

I have recently passed CCNA (3 weeks ago) and am planning to go for NP.

I know my question is kinda too broad and it really depends on an individual, time spending stuff like that, but I am wondering if it is possible to pass CCNP before 31st July, basically pass with the current 4 exams before R + S + Troubleshoot.

well, I am not a super genius but i am not that dumb as my question sounds. I mean... in general prospect, is it something possible or will it be a task really hard to achieve?

n

It took me a year to complete the NP and it took over 6 months for the BSCI alone... and that was spending approx 40 hours a week, in preparation.

If I were in your shoes and wanted to start the NP journey, I would take the 3 test method and go with the new track. There is no prize offered to complete this quickly.
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    Well on that note I'd suggest you concentrate on finding a role in IT before pushing towards the NP exams. Certs + NO experience will not get you a job.
    That said you can still study and take your time and pass each exam as your ready. The Troubleshoot exam is just another exam to prepare for take your time and you will pass it.

Use **** and well your gonna struggle with anything away from the exam. Seriously I would avoid those at all costs. They do more harm than good to the industry and your reputation icon_smile.gif
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    If you had only ISCW and ONT to pass, I would say that is possible.

4 exams, I will say is pretty much impossible unless as the laidback freak above me :D mentions, you have extensive routing and switching experience. Better to focus on the new track I would say.

Don't make the mistake of comparing the difficulty of these exams to the CCNA, they are much more difficult.

HTH
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Possible yes, Practical NOPE.

Most people suggest between 2 and 3 months of study per exam for people who have a background in networking.

Unless you have a very good understading of networks already (and passing the CCNA does not nesseraly mean you have a "good" understanding). Then you will struggle.

If you don't work have some good lab equipment and can study 8+ hours a day.. then yes possible you can do it.

But I would suggest that if you need to ask the question, then you are not going to be able to do it.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
    I don't know if this makea a difference or not but actually I'm not self studing. I'm studying at a training centre with a lab equipped with most of necessary devices.

neway, I appreciate all of ur feedbacks. thx
  • notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    (and passing the CCNA does not nesseraly mean you have a "good" understanding).

This is so true. There is so much to know even with the CCNA. I would be lying if I said I knew OSPF/EIGRP very well just because of my CCNA cert.

Nope....and add to that, it seems, or at least from what I've read, many people get their CCNA's and don't do anything with them....

Passing a cert every 3.5 weeks would be a remarkable feat. That's assuming that each exam is of the same difficulty scale...

I think it can be done if you have no job, lots of time to just study, lots of money to buy equipment and are really one focused individual....

But I see no point in taking 4 exams to beat Cisco's old CCNP track deadline when you can just start studying for the new 3 exam track now!!! LOL....
  • ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    Maybe, but I don't think most people could do it.
  • billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    Welcome to the forum. I would honestly have to agree on this and say it is not possible. Actually it is almost next to impossible, unless you have a firm grip on networking already. I've taken about 2-3 months per exam at this point, and I have done the BSCI and BCMSN. I started studying this past October 2009. So far I have studied for five months and passed two exams. Those months include my current ONT studies as well though. BSCI is about ten times harder than your CCNA exam, in my opinion. BCMSN is about five times harder. These tests are A LOT harder than your CCNA. To be honest they really test your ability to understand the overall big picture of networking. You're best bet is to try and pass one exam if you wish before July 31st. Then do the 2nd exam and TSHOOT. So do:

BSCI -> SWITCH -> TSHOOT
    BCMSN -> ROUTE -> TSHOOT

Otherwise your just going to learn it for nothing because you'd have to pass 2 tests a month almost to get this done in time and you would just be setting yourself up for failure down the road, if you don't already have experience in the networking field. Just my 2 cents for what it is worth.
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It took me about seven months to complete the CCNP and that was with taking the composite exam and working on a service provider network. I couldn't imagine someone doing the CCNP from start to finish by the end of July unless he or she had a CCIE-level of knowledge. My biggest fear with trying to out-race an exam expiration deadline is the fear of the unknown. Lets say you pass 2/4 of the exams by June and you're looking great, but for some unfortunate reason, a life event sidelines you for a month or two. It's not hard to get knocked off of a serious study regime. Unfortunately, if the cert expires you're back at square 1. I've been CCIEs have to re-schedule lab dates over and over because of life events (child birth, death in the family, etc).

Always give yourself enough time man.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • jeanathanjeanathan Member Posts: 163
    I don't see how anyone who does not have prior experience working with these technologies already could pass the exams any quicker than at the rate of 1 per 1.5 months. Unless you simply employed an exam **** memorization routine.
    Struggling through the re-certification process after 2 years of no OJT for the CCNP.
  • qplayedqplayed Member Posts: 303
    I suggest you stick to the new exams. You shouldn't fear TSHOOT, only dumpers area afraid of that ;). Also there is no way will you finish all 4 and retain anything useful. Give yourself time, the cert is not going anywhere. As a matter of fact, you get to renew every 3 years ;).
    If you cannot express in a sentence or two what
    you intend to get across, then it is not focused
    well enough.
    —Charles Osgood, TV commentator
    thank u all.

I guess I will try to pass at least one or two and then go for Tshoot later on.
  • trackittrackit Member Posts: 224
    when i did my MCSE, then i passed aprox 1 exam per month... For BSCI i have been studying almost 6 months already and only now im going to make my first try... Yeah, maybe i did have more time back then and i did study a little more per day with my MCSE, but i would say to pass CCNP in 3 months is unrealistic, even passing 2 (BSCI/BCMSN) exams is way too optimistic... i would say at best you will pass 1 exam before 31 july...
  • notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    trackit wrote: »
    when i did my MCSE, then i passed aprox 1 exam per month... For BSCI i have been studying almost 6 months already and only now im going to make my first try... Yeah, maybe i did have more time back then and i did study a little more per day with my MCSE, but i would say to pass CCNP in 3 months is unrealistic, even passing 2 (BSCI/BCMSN) exams is way too optimistic... i would say at best you will pass 1 exam before 31 july...

Right, I haven't started my CCNP journey yet, but for the 3 exams, I'm assuming about 3 months per exam....
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Takes me 2-3 months per exam, so I couldnt finish a CCNP between now and July.

Oh, wait, *I* actually can, because I've only got ONT left.. hehe

Seriously though, I agree with everyone else in this thread - the most precious thing a man can waste is time - granted.

However, I'd concentrate on the new CCNP track now and take your time :)
  • ConstantlyLearningConstantlyLearning Member Posts: 445
    No.

:)
    "There are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't"
  • NuulNuul Member Posts: 158
    gorebrush wrote: »
    Takes me 2-3 months per exam, so I couldnt finish a CCNP between now and July.

Oh, wait, *I* actually can, because I've only got ONT left.. hehe

*highfive* me too, just need to finish up TSHOOT and I'm done. I can't wait for that stupid test to be released so I can take it.

Anyway, to the original poster: gorebush is right on the money. The CCNP tests are no joke, I'd give them a minimum of two months study per test, and that's assuming you have a pretty good foundation of experience on which to build. Realistically, I'd say you could knock out the three tests on the new track by the end of the year if you're disciplined.