Finally taking the test April 20th

kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
I have been putting this off for far to long. Getcertified4less had a voucher for $200 so I jumped on it. I am actually pretty nervous about this one because I haven't studied in awhile. Looks like I will be cramming for the next 1 1/2 weeks.

Here's hopen I pass.

*Update Passed with 850/900*

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have been putting this off for far to long. Getcertified4less had a voucher for $200 so I jumped on it. I am actually pretty nervous about this one because I haven't studied in awhile. Looks like I will be cramming for the next 1 1/2 weeks.

Here's hopen I pass.
    Good luck on your test!
    Be sure to know your encryption..When and why it's used...symmetric and asymmetric
    Know your physical security as it is covered by the objectives and will be on exam.
    From my experience with the test it isn't memorization, it will ask you what is the best answer for the situation given. Read the questions carefully and you should do fine. I studied about 3 weeks and spent 1 week reviewing 1-2 hours a day and made an 855 on it.
    Edit: What material are you using. I used Sybex book and Labsim CBT.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    earweed wrote: »
    Good luck on your test!
    Be sure to know your encryption..When and why it's used...symmetric and asymmetric
    Know your physical security as it is covered by the objectives and will be on exam.
    From my experience with the test it isn't memorization, it will ask you what is the best answer for the situation given. Read the questions carefully and you should do fine. I studied about 3 weeks and spent 1 week reviewing 1-2 hours a day and made an 855 on it.
    Edit: What material are you using. I used Sybex book and Labsim CBT.

Well my resources are: Darrils book, all sybex books, all exam cram books, cbt nuggets, shon harris security+ videos, selftest software and a few more that I can't recall. (I have a Safaribooksonline account with full access through my friend who works for them)

Technically I should pass with all those but Its been about 4 weeks since I picked up any book and looked at it because I have been busy. I know some of the stuff without a doubt but I just hope I can get the other stuff down in time. I got lots off resources to figure it out.
    I've heard really good things about Darril's book. I used mainly the Sybex Study Guide, the review book is pretty useless, I labbed with teh Sybex Street Smarts which didn't help any for the test but made it interesting to me.
    Most people recommend just 2 books, a good one and a thin one (Study guide or darril and exam cram) You're probably just needing to review now.
    I was ready for my test 3 weeks before taking it and took 2 weeks off looking at it which I think actually helped. Spent week before test reading thin book and occassionally looking up things in the sybex study guide.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • ALfromSTLALfromSTL Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yea, I started to read the Sybex book, got bored after about 2 chapters and put it away. Then I got Darril's book, read it through, felt comfortable with the concepts, then scheduled the test. I later picked the Sybex book back up as a second reference/ cram session and it was much easier to absorb.
  • botbillbotbill Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□

Here's hopen I pass.

I just got the same voucher from getcertified4less. I scheduled my test on monday, picked up Darrill's book, read it through, and felt very comfortable with all the subjects. passed all the practice tests. I don't think the actual test is going to be this easy. If it is everyone can pass it, right ??? anyone has any suggestions for practice tests which will help me @ the test? or any suggestions which better prepare me in the test room ?
    Thanks-
    working on cissp, ceh and pmp
    botbill wrote: »
    I just got the same voucher from getcertified4less. I scheduled my test on monday, picked up Darrill's book, read it through, and felt very comfortable with all the subjects. passed all the practice tests. I don't think the actual test is going to be this easy. If it is everyone can pass it, right ??? anyone has any suggestions for practice tests which will help me @ the test? or any suggestions which better prepare me in the test room ?
    Thanks-

I would check this site out: Self Test Software CompTIA SY0-201 Training Products - Practice tests and Online Courses - SY0-201

They use the exact same questions as transcender but are alot less for the 30 day access online. I used transcender awhile back and just got the selftest one. $50 isn't to bad for practice questions. Good luck on the test and welcome to the forums.
    I would check this site out: Self Test Software CompTIA SY0-201 Training Products - Practice tests and Online Courses - SY0-201

They use the exact same questions as transcender but are alot less for the 30 day access online. I used transcender awhile back and just got the selftest one. $50 isn't to bad for practice questions. Good luck on the test and welcome to the forums.

Thanks , is ucertify any good???
    I've heard it was good for some things. I'm using it for the MCTS:70-640 and that ones not very good. I got it based on recommendations from someone who used ucerify for some of their CompTIA certs.

Edit: and if you're a student contact support and they'll give you a discount. Thinking back on it, they didn't ask for proof that I was a student....hint,hint
  • Todd BurrellTodd Burrell Member Posts: 280
    Ucertify tests were pretty good for the MCSE tests except for 70-294. I got a volume discount and the 70-291, 291, 293, 298 and 299 tests were pretty good for the price. 70-294 was not very good.

I have not used them for any other certs (like this one) so I cannot speak to how good they are?
    Ucertify tests were pretty good for the MCSE tests except for 70-294. I got a volume discount and the 70-291, 291, 293, 298 and 299 tests were pretty good for the price. 70-294 was not very good.

I have not used them for any other certs (like this one) so I cannot speak to how good they are?

Thanks,
    I just got the preplogic test and will get the selftestsoft.com this weekend. I will post if they are anygood.
    Test pushed to Tuesday
  • chungerballchungerball Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks,
    I just got the preplogic test and will get the selftestsoft.com this weekend. I will post if they are anygood.
    Test pushed to Tuesday

Don't get me started on prelogic!!! I went to the preplogic website and downloaded their 15 minute study guides, and it required a legit email and phone number for me to download (dumb of me to give out my phone number). Long story short, I get a call from this prelogic call person asking me to try their videos for a month for 99 dollars. I talked to him for a good 20 minutes, and I told him I would think about it. However, this idiot kept calling my cell for a whole month!!! leaving messages that was so intrusive....
  • LordMarshalLordMarshal Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good luck on the 20th.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Magic RavioliMagic Ravioli Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good luck on Tuesday :)
    I ended up passing after all and with an 850 no less. I am so happy that is over with. I thought the questions made no sense when reading them. I had to decipher ;) what was said in them but all in all I felt like I knew the material.
    I ended up passing after all and with an 850 no less. I am so happy that is over with. I thought the questions made no sense when reading them. I had to decipher ;) what was said in them but all in all I felt like I knew the material.

Congrats, way to go dude. one more for your collection. are u going for cissp? I am.
    Congrats, way to go dude. one more for your collection. are u going for cissp? I am.

Thanks, I haven't decided yet if I want to get the CISSP. I think next it will be either SSCP or GSEC.