Cert Path

chuckzitochuckzito Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have a BS in Security Systems(It was a lot more theory then practical work). I got my CCNA the summer I was graduated college and also got my first real IT job as a network/system engineer and a small consulting firm. I worked there for 2 years and in that time passed the 70-270 and 70-290. I put off certifications for a while I was looking for a new job. I took a new job about 6 months ago for a network/system engineer position at a financial firm. My new job is almost entirely Windows Server 2008 and TS and soon will fully be a 2008 shop. I want to get back in to study mode for certifications but I'm not sure what I should go for. For one thing my CCNA will be expiring soon but to be honest it has not been put to much use in my past 2 jobs. Sure it helps overall but there is such little minor changes that are ever made to the router/switch infrastructure where I have worked. Before taking my new job I was going to take the 70-291 and Sec+ exam to get my MCSA, but now with 2008 and the new certs I'm not sure if I should bother completing my MCSA or go for the 2008 certs and or if I should renew my CCNA or upgrade. I love my new job so far but eventually if the raises and bonuses don't pay off I will have to look for a new job in a year or two. I also really would love to get in to the security field but it seems it is impossible to break in to and even if I do it would be a jr position and my pay would go down again.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    chuckzito wrote: »
    I have a BS in Security Systems(It was a lot more theory then practical work). I got my CCNA the summer I was graduated college and also got my first real IT job as a network/system engineer and a small consulting firm. I worked there for 2 years and in that time passed the 70-270 and 70-290. I put off certifications for a while I was looking for a new job. I took a new job about 6 months ago for a network/system engineer position at a financial firm. My new job is almost entirely Windows Server 2008 and TS and soon will fully be a 2008 shop. I want to get back in to study mode for certifications but I'm not sure what I should go for. For one thing my CCNA will be expiring soon but to be honest it has not been put to much use in my past 2 jobs. Sure it helps overall but there is such little minor changes that are ever made to the router/switch infrastructure where I have worked. Before taking my new job I was going to take the 70-291 and Sec+ exam to get my MCSA, but now with 2008 and the new certs I'm not sure if I should bother completing my MCSA or go for the 2008 certs and or if I should renew my CCNA or upgrade. I love my new job so far but eventually if the raises and bonuses don't pay off I will have to look for a new job in a year or two. I also really would love to get in to the security field but it seems it is impossible to break in to and even if I do it would be a jr position and my pay would go down again.

Any suggestions?

Finish the MCSA, upgrade the CCNA to CCNA:Sec, then work on the 2008 certs. You are half way done with the MCSA. You would be silly not to finish it.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Finish the MCSA, upgrade the CCNA to CCNA:Sec, then work on the 2008 certs. You are half way done with the MCSA. You would be silly not to finish it.
    +1 Also by the time you start studying for the 2008 server certs you'll have so much experience with them that it'll be easier.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • chuckzitochuckzito Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Valid points. Another question if my CCNA expires can I just take a the CCNA Security exam to renew my CCNA and receive a CCNA Security? or if I let it expire I have to retake everything all over again?
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□

Agreed x10. Then if you take 70-648, you can upgrade to MCTS then MCITP. Youre in a very good position, go for it.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-windowsserver.aspx#tab4
  • Jonny70Jonny70 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    phoeneous wrote: »
    Agreed x10. Then if you take 70-648, you can upgrade to MCTS then MCITP. Youre in a very good position, go for it.

Windows Server Certification

Agreed again. So does that make a consensus? :P