Options

Hacking Exposed series

slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
This applies to CISSP and ISC2 cert seekers also, but I chose to put it here because CEH is geared more towards hacking.

I just wanted to make a post about this particular book series. In my opinion these books are a must have for all secuirty professionals.

Back in the day when you wanted to hack/protect a particular technology, you had to spend countless hours searching mostly bad info looking for hack techniques/countermeasures.

This series of books follows a proven and well thought out methodology, that basically covers pen testing from birth to abortion. Each and every exploit/technique is laid out in clear technical detail (lots of links to tools, lots of command-line snippets and easy to follow examples) followed up with a corresponding countermeasure. The info is very accurate, very concise and to the point, giving enough technical data to understand the exploits, whilst not causing your brain to seize up.

Also, the authors of this series are always very high level security professionals. (they are also personable, a while back I emailed george kurtz I believe it was with an issue and he took the time to respond, he didn't have to.)

*Titles I recommend to get started with*
Hacking Exposed: Network Security Secrets and Solutions, Sixth Edition

Hacking Exposed Windows: Microsoft Windows Security Secrets and Solutions, Third Edition

Hacking Exposed Cisco Networks: Cisco Security Secrets & Solutions

Hacking Exposed Wireless: Wireless Security Secrets & Solutions (Second Ed. coming in August)

*Why I wrote this post*

I wrote this post, because there are probably more than a few folks out there who have either never heard of/broke the cover on this series.

Throughout my IT career there have been several resources I have discovered that had been around for a while and could have been benefiting me years ago, had I only known about them. (Transcender, Vmware workstation, Cbt nuggetz, etc.) Makes me wonder how much sooner I may have found these products had I read about them on a forum somewhere, so I thought of this one since I recently ordered the updated versions of my books.

Hope this helps.

Comments