Issue with PrepLogic

kevozzkevozz Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
Has anyone ordered a voucher or training material through PrepLogic? I ordered a voucher and they sent a delivery email with instructions on how to get your voucher. I entered the access code and a was taken to a page on how to get your voucher code. It required me to print out a credit card authorization form and email or fax it to them with the following information:

copy of drivers license.
copy of credit card and CID security code.
social security #

I don't see any reason why they need all this information, especially on an order less than $200. The previous company I worked for regularly processed credit card transactions greater than 10k every day. Unless it was outright fraud, the only other step needed was for the customer to call the card issuer and verify the order. Oh yea, they want you to sign away your right for a charge back also.

This is everything needed to steal someone's identity and they want it sent by email or fax, neither of which is secure. A secondary thought. I just don't think they need all this information, and yes I know that I can take my business elsewhere.

It's a good deal though. $179 for an early expiry Security+ voucher:
PrepLogic Clearance Vouchers for A+ CCNP MCSE Network+ and Security+

Anyone have a similar experience?

A search for Preplogic Scams returns some interesting information.

Comments

• SrSysAdminSrSysAdmin Member Posts: 259
    I haven't had this specific experience but they seem very suspect to me.

I have gotten free study guides from them, only to be hounded by their sales reps. Their products (other than this apparently) are extremely over priced. $2,000 for study materials? Are you kidding me? If I want to pay that much money I will take an actual course and not just some online videos which I can find elsewhere.

Proceed with caution.
    Current Certifications:

* B.S. in Business Management
    * Sec+ 2008
    * MCSA

Currently Studying for:
    * 70-293 Maintaining a Server 2003 Network

Future Plans:

* 70-294 Planning a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-297 Designing a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-647 Server 2008
    * 70-649 MCSE to MCITP:EA
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    JrSysAdmin wrote: »
    I haven't had this specific experience but they seem very suspect to me.

I have gotten free study guides from them, only to be hounded by their sales reps. Their products (other than this apparently) are extremely over priced. $2,000 for study materials? Are you kidding me? If I want to pay that much money I will take an actual course and not just some online videos which I can find elsewhere.

Proceed with caution.

I had a problem similar to this, the sales rep kept me on the phone for half an hour trying to get me to buy their $99.00 training , that she claimed was similar to Netflex. I said “no” at least 10 ten times, and she wouldn’t stop talking; I should have just hang up. I was on the phone for 30 minutes, but I guess you have to tell them no 10,000 different ways before they get the hint. I’m too nice sometimes I swear. Doesn’t no, mean no? I will never get anything else from PREPLOGIC again!! They put more focus on shady sales tactics and poor customer service, than certification preparation materials. I don’t care if they have study guides on sale for one food stamp, I still won’t purchase one. I haven’t had these problems with Testout, Measure Up, or Transcender, so I will give them my business instead. Sorry Prep Logic, but you have earned my distrust.
    Note:The only reason they give out those discount items is so that they can log your info into a database for their call center.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    No way would I go through those sorts of hoops for a voucher...

And if you do make any sort of purchase with them, give them something like a Google Voice number - they will not stop calling regardless of what you tell them.
  • BulollaBulolla Banned Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    To my TECHEXAM colleges please do not get near Preplogic website, I do not want to see anyone in the situation I am in with them. They talked me in to purchase two years program which I NEVER agree to at ALL. I only agreed to pay $115.00 for two months of use for exam 70-431 and now they said because I did not cancel before the 30 days they want me to pay near $2000 dollars. What is up with this company, why is this happening here in the USA? When I called the vendor to clarify what she had done she did not want to speak to me because that was not up to her anymore.

Please, please I beg you not to request anything from them even if it is free.

[bashing removed by Webmaster - I suggest giving Mark below a call and I'm sure he will be able to solve your issue.]
  • captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    I have to agree with all the above. I downloaded a free CCNA:S exam. A month later I get a phone call from a sales rep asking me, "When are you taking the MCSE?" Didn't even know what test I was studying for. icon_scratch.gif I wouldn't pay for anything from them, it's no better than the other test sites out there.
  • ALfromSTLALfromSTL Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree with the above. Although I did use the practice tests to help study for the A+, I have been getting calls at least twice a day from their Florida office.

I guess when the practice tests contain 100 questions each, I should have expected the follow up calls.

Trancender freebies are only 10 questions that I have seen but I rarely even get spam from them.
  • kevozzkevozz Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you paid with a credit card, give them a call and they can help straighten it out.

That reminds me, I need to start a thread about Javelin technical training centers around Atlanta.
  • PrepLogic Customer CarePrepLogic Customer Care Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi kevozz

Please know that the security of our customer's personal information is our number one concern. The reason we request a credit card authorization form for you voucher purchase is simply to reduce credit card fraud. Many fraudulent orders have been thwarted by simply having this credit card form to protect our business and the identity of our customers. This is no different than any purchase you would make at a grocery store or when you dine at a restaurant; every time you make a purchase with your card, you are required to sign for the purchase.

kevozz, we have been helping IT professional like yourself achieve their career goals for 12+ years and I understand your concern and reluctance. Should you wish not to submit authorization for this purchase, your money will be automatically refunded to your credit card. This process has allowed us to dramatically reduce and even catch would be credit card thieves for our customers. Many times unsuspecting people who have never heard of PrepLogic will receive a call from one of our Customer Care Representatives who received an authorization form where the information on the credit card had been altered. I cannot even tell you how much fraud we have prevented with this process. kevozz, if you are still uncomfortable with this process and do not want to submit the form, simply request that your voucher order be credited and we will gladly return your money. Thank you for taking the time to post your experience. If you or any of the TECHEXAM members have a question or concern regarding PrepLogic or a PrepLogic purchase, I invite you to call me at my direct line and we will make every effort to answer your questions and address your concerns. Thank you again for your post.

Mark N.
    Customer Care Manager
    813-321-6361
  • PrepLogic Customer CarePrepLogic Customer Care Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Bulolla wrote: »
    To my TECHEXAM colleges please do not get near Preplogic website, I do not want to see anyone in the situation I am in with them. They talked me in to purchase two years program which I NEVER agree to at ALL. I only agreed to pay $115.00 for two months of use for exam 70-431 and now they said because I did not cancel before the 30 days they want me to pay near $2000 dollars. What is up with this company, why is this happening here in the USA? When I called the vendor to clarify what she had done she did not want to speak to me because that was not up to her anymore.

Please, please I beg you not to request anything from them even if it is free.

[bashing removed by Webmaster - I suggest giving Mark below a call and I'm sure he will be able to solve your issue.]
    Hi Bulolla,

It would seem that I have forgotten to address your concerns as-well. Thank you for taking the time to post your experience through this forum. This is how we learn and grow as a company and moreover how we learn of experiences we may not be familiar with. Bulolla, I am not personally familiar with your individual situation, though I welcome the opportunity to be able to make this right for you. I am not sure with whom you spoke, and I am certain if you give me a call I will be able to make this right. Please call me at my direct line and we will work together to understand your concerns and solve them. I look forward to hearing from you soon. Thank you again for your post.

Mark N.
    Customer Care Manager
    813-321-6361

If any of the TECHEXAM memebers have a question or concern regarding PrepLogic or a PrepLogic purchase, I invite you to call me at my direct line and we will make every effort to find a resolution.
  • captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    kevozz wrote: »
    It required me to print out a credit card authorization form and email or fax it to them with the following information:

copy of drivers license.
    copy of credit card and CID security code.
    social security #
    This reminds me of when I was getting my drivers license in a southern state that I will not name. After completing the forms and submitting them the nice lady asked if I wanted to use my social security # as my driver's license number.

I had to say no. I then asked how many people do use their social security number as their driver's license number. The nice lady replied, "Most everyone." I said, "So let me get this straight. If I lose my driver's license or it is stolen then they have my picture, my address, my height, my weight, my social security number and my signature?" Everyone else in that office was listening intently, the nice lady never got it. icon_eek.gif
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    As many of you know or at least noticed we're not in the habit of letting commercial companies (including our own advertisers/sponsors) post in our forums, but I wanted to give PrepLogic a chance to respond to this and because I know many members here have good experiences with PL products including their Mega Guides (try a search in the forums). I'm sure they are open to critics so keep it clean and at least give them a chance to solve the issue.
    Hi kevozz

Please know that the security of our customer's personal information is our number one concern. The reason we request a credit card authorization form for you voucher purchase is simply to reduce credit card fraud. Many fraudulent orders have been thwarted by simply having this credit card form to protect our business and the identity of our customers. This is no different than any purchase you would make at a grocery store or when you dine at a restaurant; every time you make a purchase with your card, you are required to sign for the purchase.

kevozz, we have been helping IT professional like yourself achieve their career goals for 12+ years and I understand your concern and reluctance. Should you wish not to submit authorization for this purchase, your money will be automatically refunded to your credit card. This process has allowed us to dramatically reduce and even catch would be credit card thieves for our customers. Many times unsuspecting people who have never heard of PrepLogic will receive a call from one of our Customer Care Representatives who received an authorization form where the information on the credit card had been altered. I cannot even tell you how much fraud we have prevented with this process. kevozz, if you are still uncomfortable with this process and do not want to submit the form, simply request that your voucher order be credited and we will gladly return your money. Thank you for taking the time to post your experience. If you or any of the TECHEXAM members have a question or concern regarding PrepLogic or a PrepLogic purchase, I invite you to call me at my direct line and we will make every effort to answer your questions and address your concerns. Thank you again for your post.

Mark N.
    Customer Care Manager
    813-321-6361

This was from my Preplogic Ticket. My order was canceled with a generic canned response. No problem.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

You're trying to protect my security and privacy? That's why I use a credit card with a virtual number since it can only be used once which protects my security and privacy. You say you're trying to protect my privacy and security by requiring me to send a copy of my drivers license, credit card AND security code (which could be used to place an online order if stolen), my Social Security # (which could be stolen and used to steal my identity) ALL SENT BY EMAIL WHICH IS NOT SECURE? Fax isn't any better, depending on if the machine is secured with limited access. What brilliant person came up with this idea? I would be fired at my previous job if I took credit card information over email. You're not trying to protect me. Maybe you're trying to protect yourself, but this is excessive. You now have a complete package sent unsecured that would make identity theft extremely easy. And why do you need my SSN for? I'm not applying for credit or making payments like the authorization form says. I have provided enough information when I placed the order for the order to be processed. I've never had to jump through hoops like this to place an online order. I will call and talk to someone if needed. If you can't complete the order with the information provided, cancel the order.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

What I do have a problem with is your option of emailing sensitive information, which we all know is not secure. There are other ways to verify online orders placed with credit cards. At least you mentioned these steps were to protect Preplogic along with the customer.

Why don't you have a PayPal option? This would protect you from fraud and your customer's privacy. But then you wouldn't have our contact information for sales calls.

The best part of your "credit card authorization form" is the clause at the bottom stating you sign away the right to do a chargeback. Never had to do that when buying at a store, or make a copy of my drivers license for that matter.

I do appreciate you addressing our concerns.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    $1 Mega Guides are back until Friday!!!

I ordered some of the new/updated Mega Guides on the 4th or 5th -- and got my one sales call that went to my voice mail (since I don't jump on any call that jingles my personal phone(s) when I'm working).

I've only gotten at most a couple of calls after each order -- which is fair since I think I've made out like a bandit on the Mega Guide sales, the Audio Class sales, and even the practice exam sales (and I'm not even a big practice test person). :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • kenny831kenny831 Member Posts: 266
    I've never had a problem with this company. There 70-270 practice test was very close to the real thing, the 70-293 practice test is good. (didn't care too much for their CCNA product). I've been using their audio for the last 3 Microsoft test, I dig 'em.

I received 1 call from them and a few emails, nothing major.
    Just to let you folks know that not everyone has had a bad experience with them.
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    mikej412 wrote: »

I ordered some of the new/updated Mega Guides on the 4th or 5th -- and got my one sales call that went to my voice mail (since I don't jump on any call that jingles my personal phone(s) when I'm working).

I've only gotten at most a couple of calls after each order -- which is fair since I think I've made out like a bandit on the Mega Guide sales, the Audio Class sales, and even the practice exam sales (and I'm not even a big practice test person). :D

arg! No 70-642 on the $1 page!!
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Extended until Sunday!

And for the record, I've bought stuff from PrepLogic, too, and never had any problems or sales calls from them.
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    I've used Preplogic for years now, without any problems. Granted their sale reps can be a bit pushy, but that's their job.

-Ken
  • motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    To the OP, sorry to hear of your issues. I am often very guarded with my info, someone close to me is still dealing with Identity theft, I say just shoot the b#$%@#$s when caught.

With that being said, I just ordered 18 of their study guides, based on the comments here from some long termers. Thanks for the info, $18 can't be a total loss. Do they offer these discounts often?
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I just ordered the 70-640 Mega guide for $1. Hopefully I don't get a bunch of phone calls like I did when I dl'd free stuff from them earlier.
    The Mega guide does look pretty useful so far.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    motogpman wrote: »
    Do they offer these discounts often?
    Yeah. They've offered various discounts every so often for the last few years at least. Sometimes it is the mega guides. Sometimes it is audio training.

I've bought a few things from them before and never had any problems. Somebody did call me soon after purchasing to try and convince me to buy other stuff but when I said I wasn't interested that was the end of it. I'm in the UK though so they might not be quite so willing to cold call me :)
  • MoInSTLMoInSTL Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    There was a glaring mistake on their free 15 minute study guide for Security+.

The "CIA" of security is Confidentiality, Integrity and Availability. They originally had it as Accessibility. I called them about it and they have since changed it, but as a result, I do not trust their info. Anyone who has take the Security+ exam knows this is basic and tested on.

They kept calling and calling so I used Google phone and blocked their calls.
    Just started 70-290.
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    MoInSTL wrote: »
    There was a glaring mistake on their free 15 minute study guide for Security+.

The "CIA" of security is Confidentiality, Integrity and Availability. They originally had it as Accessibility. I called them about it and they have since changed it, but as a result, I do not trust their info. Anyone who has take the Security+ exam knows this is basic and tested on.

They kept calling and calling so I used Google phone and blocked their calls.

And I've found glaring mistakes in Cisco Press books. That doesn't mean that everything Cisco Press puts out is junk.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    And I've found glaring mistakes in Cisco Press books. That doesn't mean that everything Cisco Press puts out is junk.
    I'm glad most people seem to feel this way. In a review for the first book I wrote for O'Reilly, the reviewer wrote that because he found (what he believed to be) one mistake within the first three pages of my book, he could therefore not be confidant that anything else he read in my book was accurate. He stopped short of following that train of illogic into saying that all O'Reilly books therefore could not be trusted. One wonders about the jaded lives lived people who review books, but never try to write them.
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Those who can - Do, those who can't - Critique :)
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
    Ahriakin wrote: »
    Those who can - Do, those who can't - Critique :)

No, it's "Those who can't - make stupid comments" ;)
This discussion has been closed.