Options

EIGRP Packet question

Dilbert65Dilbert65 Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
OK here is the play

router 1 losses if seccessor route and has no feasible seccessor.
It sends out a "Query" packet.
Router 2 find a new route and send a "Reply" packet back to router 1.

Now does the "Reply" packet contain the new route? or does router 2 send both a "Reply" and "Update" packet?

Exactly how will router 1 get the new route from router 2?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Good question that I didn't really know the answer too so I labbed it up. It looks like the router that responds with the new path information only sends back the Reply and no Update.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    So then how does router 1 get the new route? I tried on my lab as well and got stumped.
  • Options
    The information is in the Reply. Check out this Wireshark capture I took out the lab.
    Cisco HDLC
    Internet Protocol, Src: 10.12.12.2 (10.12.12.2), Dst: 10.12.12.1 (10.12.12.1)
    Cisco EIGRP
        Version    = 2
        Opcode = 4 (Reply)
        Checksum   = 0xa60f
        Flags      = 0x00000000
        Sequence   = 105
        Acknowledge  = 55
        Autonomous System  : 1
        IP internal route  =   10.23.23.0/24
            Type = 0x0102 (IP internal route)
            Size = 28 bytes
            Next Hop    = 0.0.0.0
            Delay       = 256000
            Bandwidth   = 25600
            MTU         = 1500
            Hop Count   = 0
            Reliability = 255
            Load        = 1
            Reserved 
            Prefix Length = 24
            Destination = 10.23.23.0

EDIT: Got to love that dynamips serial interface capture! Best way to learn is to check out what the routers are actually sending to each other IMO.
  • Options
    Thank you very much. That is exactly what I was looking for. Guess I will have to install wireshark for my lab rack in case I run into some other odd ball questions.

Do you have your wireshark hooked into your switch and are you mirroring the port somehow? What I mean is how are you able to get in the middle of the 2 routers to capture that infomation?
  • Options
    Dilbert65 wrote: »
    Thank you very much. That is exactly what I was looking for. Guess I will have to install wireshark for my lab rack in case I run into some other odd ball questions.

Do you have your wireshark hooked into your switch and are you mirroring the port somehow? What I mean is how are you able to get in the middle of the 2 routers to capture that infomation?

Dynamips can do an inline capture. Its pretty sweet. I'd recommend you check it out if you haven't already. This was actually over a serial link also if you notice the "Cisco HDLC" encapsulation.
  • Options
    figures I have real equipment. I looked into GNS3 for later studies. Time to google search and come up with something that will work for me.

Thank you again.
  • Options
    Dilbert65 wrote: »
    figures I have real equipment. I looked into GNS3 for later studies. Time to google search and come up with something that will work for me.

Thank you again.

I don't use GNS3 just dynamips and dynagen. No need fro all that GUI fluff IMO. You can use a SPAN port on a switch for the same thing. You won't be able to sniff serial traffic that way though as its ethernet only. There is the "router IP traffic export capture" feature also you can look into.