Security+ Darril Gibson's book

Dryst999Dryst999 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
So I normally don't like promoting a book but if you have any questions about what source to use for your main study guide please pick up this book... i've used Sybex combined with exam cram practice questions for all other certifications and this book is literally 1000 times easier to read than any other IT book i've picked up. The large print and his writing style makes it a very enjoyable read and doesn't give you that textbook feel. I knew I was going to like it from the introduction when he compared the difference between microsoft and comptia questions which had me laughing my ass off.

I'm not in anyway affiliated with him, I just picked up the book two weeks ago and was blown away that I read it all in two sittings without getting bored, if this is against board guidelines please delete and forgive me but this guy deserves some props and everyone taking this test should pick up this book... Darril if you read this PLEASE write some MCITP books, it's like pulling teeth trying to make myself go through an MS Press book after reading your book.

Comments

• drewkegdrewkeg Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes I agree, Darril Gibson's books are great. I have the All in One MCITP SQL Server 2005 - Database Developer book and like you said, was actually a joy to read. I highly recommend it. You mentioned the need for MCITP by him, so yes it is available. icon_thumright.gif

MCITP Success

Have Triplets, Need Beer
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Many people enjoy Darril's book as he is knowledgeable in the topics and in writing so that I don't want to kill myself.

Also here is a book that was co-authored by Darril on server 08

Amazon.com: Mastering Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 (9780470532867): Mark Minasi, Darril Gibson, Aidan Finn, Wendy Henry, Byron Hynes: Books
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Thanks for the kind words. Glad to hear you're enjoying the book. I'm even happier that it's helping so many people take and pass the exam the first time they take it.

A search on Amazon with my name "Darril Gibson" shows the books I have out which does include a few MCITP books. I've also been very busy banging away at my keyboard on a Windows 7 book (ISBN: 978-0470597095) that covers the two advanced MCITP exams.

Deadlines are looming and keeping me very busy.

Darril Gibson
    Author: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead
    ISBN-10: 1439236364
    Security+ Blog

Dryst999 wrote: »
    So I normally don't like promoting a book but if you have any questions about what source to use for your main study guide please pick up this book... i've used Sybex combined with exam cram practice questions for all other certifications and this book is literally 1000 times easier to read than any other IT book i've picked up. The large print and his writing style makes it a very enjoyable read and doesn't give you that textbook feel. I knew I was going to like it from the introduction when he compared the difference between microsoft and comptia questions which had me laughing my ass off.

I'm not in anyway affiliated with him, I just picked up the book two weeks ago and was blown away that I read it all in two sittings without getting bored, if this is against board guidelines please delete and forgive me but this guy deserves some props and everyone taking this test should pick up this book... Darril if you read this PLEASE write some MCITP books, it's like pulling teeth trying to make myself go through an MS Press book after reading your book.
  • redline5thredline5th Member Posts: 119
    I just got to chapter 4 tonight in Darril's book and I'm enjoying it!

Can't wait to have this exam behind me!
    WGU - Bachelors in Information Technology

“The liberty of speaking and writing guards our other liberties.” -- Thomas Jefferson
  • botbillbotbill Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Dryst999 wrote: »

I agree. I picked up this book last Friday. It was reading it like a story book not technical book. I like the part saying "Rayburn Box" I thougt it was very clever of Darrill. I am taking the test on Monday. I hope i will pass
    working on cissp, ceh and pmp
  • aethereosaethereos Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I also got the book from Darril + his autograph. That was a nice gesture. Passed Sec+ on first try.

Contents aside, I also found the paper more readable than many other IT books. For example, a certain popular CCNA book is printed on smaller font on brown-ish paper that made it extremely hard to read. The contrast of Darril's book is nice with black font on crisp white paper. Even with my excessive use of highlighters, it didn't bleed all over.

When you're studying for a difficult exam, the last thing you want to worry about is what cheap paper the publisher chose for the book.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Darril wrote: »
    A search on Amazon with my name "Darril Gibson" shows the books I have out which does include a few MCITP books. I've also been very busy banging away at my keyboard on a Windows 7 book (ISBN: 978-0470597095) that covers the two advanced MCITP exams.

Darril Gibson
    Author: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead
    ISBN-10: 1439236364
    Security+ Blog
    From what I hear, a lot of people wish you would write a book for the 70 -680 Windows 7 exam. The MS book isn't very good.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • yosi199yosi199 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    +1 on Darill's book!

I've just finished it lately and I have to say it's an amazing book, easy to read - really easy to read (cant stress enough how important it is that a book draws you IN instead of AWAY from the book).

That being said there is one thing I think could be better - the practice questions seemed to me too easy compared to Sybex's book.

Darill if there's a chance you'll make a new SSCP book soon I'm the first to buy LOL.

BTW I also got his autograph which was a very nice touch to the book.
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    ill definatly have to pick this up this weekend, if its available nearby.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    SephStorm wrote: »
    ill definatly have to pick this up this weekend, if its available nearby.

I looked a few days ago and Amazon was out of stock. It looks like they have it back now though. Amazon.com: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-201 Study Guide (9781439236369): Darril Gibson: Books

EDIT: I'll be buying this book in about 2 months when MCSA is behind me.
    Decide what to be and go be it.