Options

Well Known Ports question

mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
Team,
I am currently useing Exam Cram 2 and this sites Free Gude to help me prepare for the test. I was taking the "well known Port test that thisw site offers when I noticed that it was aking me for ports not listed in my Exam Cram 2 Book nor were the ports in the free Guide I downloaded.

I checked my Revised Network + Objectives Version 6-01 and it did not give me a listing of well known ports I need to memorize.
In both resoruces only these ports show.

FTP 21 TCP
SSH 22 TCP
Telnet 23 TCP
SMTP 25 TCP
DNS 53 UDP
TFTP 69 UDP
HTTP 80 TCP/UDP
POP3 110 TCP
NNTP 119 TCP
NTP 123 TCP
IMAP4 143 TCP
SNMP 161 UDP
HTTPS 443 TCP

Netbios Name Service port 137 and DNS port 53 was not there.
My question what Well known ports does Comptia Test on ?
"A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino

Comments

• Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    I don't think you will get a lot of questions on well-known ports. I didn't on my exam.

Just remember what Webmaster supplies on this site. It's better to know too many than not enough. Besides you should know more that just what it takes to pass the exam on any of the objectives.

Best of luck!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    jheal00jheal00 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree with janmike. There are only 15 ports included in the TechNotes from this site. I took the test a few weeks ago and didn't encounter any questions about ports other than those. Be sure to know them. Also, you say that DNS (53) is not included but it is on the list you provided. Don't forget WINS (1512); L2TP (1701) and PPTP (1723).
  • Options
    mistervincemistervince Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    yea ports are really not that big of a deal, but it sounds like you know the basics. good luck.
    Why is SuSE better than Redhat?

Its alllll in the startup scripts. All in the startup scripts. >.<

(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
    (='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
    (")_(")domination.