ccie r&s hardware equipment

marco_feramarco_fera Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all, I decided to study for my CCIE, in order to practice for the labs I have to decide to do them with dynamips or with real equipment.
My problem is: can I change the hardware specified by cisco and in other workbooks with other devices? I mean, there's pieces of hardware listed in certain labs that dynamips can't emulate nor that I have at disposal at work. For example 1841 isn't currently emulated, nor is 3825.
What happens if I change, let's say, a router that in a certain lab is supposed to be a 3825 with a 3725? or a 1841 with a 7200?
if I don't practice with the router models listed by cisco in its "lab equipment" page do I risk missing hardware-specific features?
This is really a mistery for me, I hope you can give me some hints.
Thanks
M

Comments

• Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'd say for switching you want to have the right gear. There are things you can do with a 3560 that you can not do with a 3550, for example. I haven't really heard of people having issues with router compatibility, but if you're unsure just rent some racktime and see how your home lab stacks up against it. If you can do the same tasks you're fine.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    A lot of folks get by pretty well with cheaper previous gen equipment and then using Rack rental to work on the areas where the newer hardware was a must. You can very often get the spirit of a lab working to achieve the same study without the exact models recommened. Unless you have money to burn I think you would be better off building your lab as you go, you'll have a much better idea of what you need as you get deeper into the material (it's very easy to make conclusions now and find out that purchase wasn't really necessary down the line). Also you need to match features listed on the blueprint vs. hardware against your own familiarity level i.e. spending an extra few hundred on an appliance that only adds the ability to handle 2 extra uncommon features has a lot more value if you happen to be extremely weak in those areas.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • marco_feramarco_fera Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I can understand the differences between normal switches and mls, but I really can't figure out why a 3550 should be so different than a 3560.
    As a general rule, is it possible to say that superior hardware have all the features of inferior devices? I mean, if I emulate everything with a 7200 I should have the features of 1841s and 3700s etc. Is there a catchall like that with cisco devices?
    Marco,

Here are the commands that are unique to each switch chassis:

Difference between Catalyst 3550 and 3560 CCIE Pilot

However, I've read recently that the lab doesn't even have 3550s any more, so never mind :)
    pbosworth@gmail.com
  • marco_feramarco_fera Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Mh I guess that if a certain lab requires something and I can't do that with my hardware it's a clear sign of hardware-specific features.
    Where did you read about the missing 3550s?
    marco_fera wrote: »
    Mh I guess that if a certain lab requires something and I can't do that with my hardware it's a clear sign of hardware-specific features.

It was on the Cisco CCIE News and Announcements page a while ago but I don't see it on there. Hmm.. It was from a September 24th 2008 update so who knows.
    pbosworth@gmail.com
  • seraphusseraphus Member Posts: 307
    marco_fera wrote: »

From https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-5249
    Lab Equipment and IOS

The lab exam tests any feature that can be configured on the equipment and the IOS versions indicated below. You may see more recent IOS versions installed in the lab, but you will not be tested on the new features of a release unless indicated below.

Version 4.0

* 1841 series routers - IOS 12.4(T) – Advanced Enterprise Services
    * 3825 series routers - IOS 12.4(T) – Advanced Enterprise Services
    * Catalyst 3560 Series switches running IOS version 12.2 - Advanced IP Services
    Lab first, ask questions later
  • SysAdmin4066SysAdmin4066 Member Posts: 443
    I didnt get there's no 3550s from that announcement, just that those are the new features/equipment you can be tested on. INE still says there are 2 and 2. So, can someone who has taken the exam shed a little light here, are all 4 switches now 3560s?
    In Progress: CCIE R&S Written Scheduled July 17th (Tentative)

Next Up: CCIE R&S Lab
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    can someone who has taken the exam shed a little light here, are all 4 switches now 3560s?

It think was originally listed under the CCIE News section on one of the CCIE R&S web pages....

A couple 3560s were added to the old v3 labs when they went to 4 switches.

And then the 3550s vanished from the lab with the rise of v4.

I get by with a couple 3750 switches along with my two 3550 switches in my home R&S rack.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    And there we have it, thanks Mike. When you taking another run at it killer?

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    When you taking another run at it killer?
    If I don't take a shot in June, it looks like I won't have time again until November. icon_eek.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    Well I wish you good practice then, if anyone can do it you certainly can. Hopefully I'll be taking my written then.

• marlon23marlon23 Member Posts: 164 ■■□□□□□□□□
    All ISR routers are SW-based platforms (everything is done by CPU, except some HW assisted encryption on some models), so there is not a lot of HW specific features. Same applies to 7200, except NSE-1 model.
    If you are unsure just use the IOS Feature Navigator at CCO and compare IOS images. The major difference between those platforms is in scalability, the difference in features is not significant in CCIE context.
    LAB: 7609-S, 7606-S, 10008, 2x 7301, 7204, 7201 + bunch of ISRs & CAT switches
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    If I don't take a shot in June, it looks like I won't have time again until November. icon_eek.gif

The more I get in to networking the more I realise how crazy you CCIE guys are!!!

seeing the step up from the CCNA level to the CCCNP i hate to think what the next one is like!

And yet I still can't wait to be getting in to it. My only worry is affording the KIT, what kind of money d0 you think is reasonable to expect to spend? I know it wont be for another year or 2 before I get on to it, but feel it would be a good idea to start saving/buying bits now.

Also can any one suggest some good places to rent rack time from, not something I have looked in to before, but after recent studies I can see it would be usefull..

And good luck Mike, sure it will go just perfect :)
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.